Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
When is a new tire too old? (Read 210 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
When is a new tire too old?
02/24/15 at 04:43:46

I ordered new tires for the Honda last week.  They are Dunlop Road Smart II's, and supposed to be a good sport touring tire for the Honda.

The rear tire looks great and has a production date of the 41st week of 2014 - so it is about 4 months old....Cool!  It is fresh and really pretty, and already mounted on the rim.

The front tire was delivered yesterday, and has a production date of the 11th week of 2012....it is already 3 years old!  It has a dull, hazy film on the tire.....that suggests it has been sitting around in a warehouse for a long time slowly aging. Sad

I did an internet search for information - and although there are some opinions given, it seems there is no "standard" to be used and no manufacturer or industry guidelines.  Most "folks" who make a comment claim a tire older than 5 years should not be mounted....and that anything older than 2 years from the production date should not be accepted as a new tire....and those are their opinions and may be good advice - but I could not find any "expiration dates" that are mandated.  There are also claims that the original tires are treated to delay the tire from aging when not yet mounted and used - but that the aging process does occur even when the tire is sitting on the shelf.

In looking at the other tires I ordered recently - it is common for every tire to be more than a year from the production date when delivered.  I suppose that the process of making the tire, putting it in a container ship and floating it over from Japan or France, unloading the shipping container and putting it on a truck and sending it to a distribution warehouse does take a while - I guess I got really lucky on the rear tire to get one that is only 4 months old.

Accepting and mounting a 3 year old tire on the front of a motorcycle just seems wrong.  The front tire will most likely outlast 2 back tires, and on the ST the front tire should last 4 years....which would make the tire 7 years old when I wear it out.

So.....anybody else ever check the date code on their tires to see how old they are when delivered as "NEW"?  I bought these tires from Bike Bandit, and I have filed a "defect" claim with them last night.  There web page discussion about tires states:  "  Unlike a fine wine, age does matter with your tires. Most tires have a life span of five years and should be changed at that time."  So following their recommendation my tires would only be good for 2 years of use.  I will let you know what there response is - at this point Bike Bandit had a tire supplier in Indiana ship me a tire I ordered - and they have no idea how "new or old" it is.  I have always had good luck with Bike Bandit, and I hope that they will stand behind their products.

photo1_003.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: When is a new tire too old?
Reply #1 - 02/24/15 at 06:58:25

Yep, I have bought "age out" sale tires from Motorcycle superstore before (2 of them) and they arrived close to 4 years old.   It took me an additional two years a piece to wear them out.

I like old tires -- they cost a lot less money.

Have I ever noticed any particular illness associated with old tires?    No, not really.    I have seen more difference in wet braking on a Yokahama tire that I bought on the XV535 that was pretty a new new tire that was on it when I got the bike.    Some brands of tires are just bad and that name brand effect was much stronger than any aging effect I ever saw on a good tire.

I suspect mileage varies for folks and some are more sensitive about tires than others.

My current rear tire will certainly be considered "aged out" by some folks sensitivity before it wears out -- this is also true for the long mileage motorcycle tires some folks put their savages too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 02/24/15 at 07:11:05

In the end the choice is yours, but I will tell you what I believe. I sold car tires for around 14 years. I also mounted and balanced them for about a year and occasionally after that. And I watched thousands of "Bad" tires being dismounted in order to give my customers an educated guess as to why they went bad. When Goodyear came out with their first radials they were awful--and nearly twice the price of belteds.

Tires have come a very long way since then. Almost everyone builds a smooth, reliable tire. But they do vary in ride quality, wet traction, and mileage. The technology is old and proven.

MY BELIEF is a tire that is flexed and used will last longer and work better than one that just sits. I do pay extra for Metzelers, though. They are probably 3 years old and have over 60%  tread left. I check them regularly and air them up when needed. If it was warmer than 30 degrees I would go outside and get my notebook out of my roll bag to give you mileage. imo keeping a visual watch and running your hand over them while checking the air is your best bet.

Also, some big Hondas have an abysmal record for wearing out front or rear tires (no matter the brand) in less than 5000 miles.

I know some tv network did a piece about old tires, but most people I talk to want fresh tires and forget about writing down mileage, run them over or under inflated, and basically ignore them. I wouldn't by a bike that's been sitting for years and ride it home wide open, but to me a hands on approach to tire management is the way to go regardless of tire dates. hth

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/24/15 at 08:11:59

I have also often heard the two year number as a "sell by" date.  I think the storage history has a lot to do with tire condition.  Tires that have been stored for two summers in a hot semi trailer on a back lot are probably not as good as ones stored in a cool dark area.

Also (just like food) there is the matter of how fast the tire is consumed after it is purchased.  If it will be worn out in two years then it probably doesn't make as much difference as when it will be on the bike five years before it is worn out.

Myself, I would try to return it because I like fresh tires, I don't put many miles on any one bike in a year so I want fresh tires that will last a good long while.  I am also old enough that even minor spills might break bones so I want sticky tires.

Also, the very fact that you have doubts about the tire is an indication that you won't be happy with it.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/24/15 at 08:28:09

Just last week,... my buddy bought a Kenda rear tire for his Shadow 750 from Bike Bandit with a 5 year old date code...
While installing at our shop, it tore at the bead and blew off the rim, banging off the 20ft high ceiling (sounded like a bomb went off)... the installer was so shook, he had to sit down for a half hour...
I don't know if it was a manufacture flaw or badly stored,.. After several e-mails back and forth between our shop and BB,.. they are accepting a return and giving the cash back...

I'm going to buy all my tires local from now on, and check the date code before purchase...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/24/15 at 10:10:02

I believe that part of the issue is, that in order to keep the prices as low as possible - Bike Bandit (or Ron Ayers or Motorcycle Superstore or JP Cycles or whomever)...doesn't pay to keep tires in stock at their stores.  They have suppliers spread out all over the country and when you order a tire...they find one of their suppliers with a warehouse close to you...and the tire is shipped from that location.  That way the tire is only shipped once, and Bike Bandit (and you) haven't paid to keep the tire in the inventory at Bike Bandit.  The rear tire came from Tri City, Indiana...and was a really fresh shipment.  That warehouse must not have had the front tire in their warehouse as generally when I order a set of tires they come taped together and arrive in the same shipment....this front tire came from Taylor, Pennsylvania.  Bike Bandit never saw these tires, and has no idea that I got a less than fresh tire at this point.....they will learn about it when they open the damage claim I posted last night.

I seriously doubt that Bike Bandit wants to ship old tires to their customers......they placed an order with a supplier who had a tire in stock, and the supplier shipped it.  I am probably the first one to look at the date on the tire since it left the factory 3 years ago.

I can't ride anytime soon......it was -12 here this morning, and I have to wait for the brake pads to be delivered before I put the back wheel on the bike anyhow - there is no reason I can't wait a week or two for this to be resolved.  My back tire was pretty worn and needed to be replaced, the front tire most likely would survive for another 1,000 miles or so as it still has a bit of tread and was built in 2011.

I can tell you that the 12 year old tires on my Chevy Avalanche are really aged and ready to be replaced!  I only drive it when I need to haul large people and/or larger things and it has 41,000 miles on it, and although the tires have not yet reached the tread wear indicators the tires are really hard and slippery when the roads are damp!  I will replace those tires this summer for sure!

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #6 - 02/24/15 at 10:49:06

When it comes to, sitting on something with ONLY two tires.
I want, 'fresh' tires, (less than a year old)
AND, even though they are the same brand/model,
MADE in the Same Country.

Two different country manufacture,
  (even though they are the same make/model,
    even though the, Company,
    specifies a certain, 'mix' of components.)
ARE, two different tires.

Something on 4 wheels, Yea cheep (old, 'new', rubber),
when it sits more than driven.  Especially trailers.
However one time, (just once), got extremely lucky on a set of, 'new', 'old' tires. Put them on a dog trailer, and they lasted 40,000 miles. then when the side walls started showing cracks, put heavy tubes in them, and they went another 20,000.

Hard tires: About 5 years ago, bought a older Jeep Wrangler. It had, what looked like, bran new tires. Great tread, and several mold vent strings.  
After a week, found out ya couldn't pull your hat off on a windy day, downhill, on a dry tar road. Then one day it rained, the roads were just, 'moist', And I SLID ALL OVER.  
(Found out, NEW tires were put on, 9 years ago, than it sat in the garage, not driven)

When I put new ones on. The local tire guys, (two brothers doing that for only 50+ years),  kept them, and said:
 "A-Yep, dem vill make good farm trailer tires, cas da ain't no good fer da road".

So, to make a long entry, short.
(I know, already to late)

My opinion. Two tires, (on something I am sitting on),
Fresh, (less than a year old), and Same Country.

Oh, and good luck with bike bandit.  Wink

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/24/15 at 13:15:32

I just got done with a "Live Chat" on the internet with Bike Bandit.  I explained the tire was made 3 years ago, and they apologized that I got an old tire.  They are emailing me a return label, and gave me the choice of a refund or a fresh tire....I chose a new tire and asked that they make it as fresh as possible, as it most likely will survive through 2 rear tires.

It was a pretty painless return process.....and I will let you all know how fast it goes and how "fresh" the replacement tire is.  With any luck the tire will be here yet this week.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 02/26/15 at 12:54:50

So OEM's on a 2002 should be replaced??? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/26/15 at 13:03:45

Trippah wrote on 02/26/15 at 12:54:50:

Man......you are exploring the limits!

My Chevy Avalanche is a 2002 and has the OEM tires on it.  The tires look good and drive fine when it is dry - but the grip has gone away in the wet.

Also the 2000 Ninja 250 I bought last summer had the original tires with 9,800 miles on them....the new tires ride so much better!

Do yourself a favor - buy some new tires this year!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 02/26/15 at 14:58:18

Trippah wrote on 02/26/15 at 12:54:50:

It depends; how much do you like falling off?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/06/15 at 10:44:03

Well Bike Bandit came through today - my replacement front tire showed up today and it has a production date of 41-14.  That is the same week and year the rear tire was made.  Both those tires are just about as fresh as you can get unless you go to France and pick them up at the Factory.

Now....gotta get that front one stuck on the rim!  It might be a good project for a cold Saturday - can't do anything outside with all the snow that is on the ground!

deer23feb0728e.jpg

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 03/06/15 at 12:08:56

I thought only ostriches stuck their head in the sand!  Cheesy

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #13 - 03/06/15 at 15:30:08

Oems on a 2002 can't have done much mileage, my oem rear was down to the canvas after 6000 miles, I didn't realise they only lasted that long.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 03/07/15 at 07:58:53

I see those deer and I instantly start lining up a shot placement for a "two-fer".   Ignore the first one and look at the legs on the second and aim accordingly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:19:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › When is a new tire too old?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.