Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
When is a new tire too old? (Read 210 times)
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Re: When is a new tire too old?
Reply #15 - 03/19/15 at 18:45:21

jcstokes wrote on 03/06/15 at 15:30:08:
Oems on a 2002 can't have done much mileage, my oem rear was down to the canvas after 6000 miles, I didn't realise they only lasted that long.

My 06 S40 I bought in May 2013 with only 3260 original miles and original stock tires...I ran those babies to just under 12000 miles and had no complaints about grip on dry or wet pavement. I now have Metzeler tires on, put about three thousand miles on them last summer with no noticeable wear yet. I only put this many miles on her last summer because I bought my 1100 Honda Shadow Spirit end of June  and put almost 16 000 kms on it up until it was too cold to ride. Ya, Suzi is American and the Honda is Canadian.

I loved the stock IRC tires and honestly, although I expect more miles out of the Metzelers, I don't find them much different from the stock IRC. I know pretty much nobody on this forum will agree with me because stock tires for our bikes are so frequently trashed here...just sharing my experience and not trying to be contrary.

Oh ya, and the stock Dunlops on the Honda...original stock tires from 05 at only 8 600 kms and I ran those babies to 24 000 kms with no problems till end of season when I replaced them with new Shinkos just before winter storage. Don't get me wrong...those tires were done by the time I changed them. And the Dunfloppies...not so affectionately called on the Honda Shadow forum are pretty much universally hated there too...and I was happy with life and ride I got from them too. And no, I don't ride bikes like a granny. I keep tire pressure up and ride.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 03/20/15 at 03:57:52

I had the stock tires on my Savage for about 1,200 miles before the change to the Cafe' arrangement....and I never really noticed anything bad about them....they rode just fine.  The bike was a 2007 that I bought used in 2012 so they were already 5 years old - but the bike was stored inside and the tires appeared to be brand new.

UPDATE ON BIKE BANDIT - I did get my new front tire for the ST1100, and it was 4.5 months old....cool.  They were supposed to send me a return shipping label for the other tire, but they never did.  I "live chatted" with them on their internet site and they immediately sent me a return label.  I posted a notice on the tire so folks know it is 3 years old.  I suspect that if I had not called them they never would have discovered that I still has their old (new) tire.

I just bought another tire from them for the front of the Savage, and it is dated 1114....so it is a year old.  When I opened the package I got that smell of a fresh rubber tire.....works for me.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 03/20/15 at 13:32:05

BIKE BANDIT is as good as Wally world !  Wink   I got my last 4 tires from them too .  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:29:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › When is a new tire too old?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.