Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
George, tell me if this is real ....... (Read 110 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
George, tell me if this is real .......
02/24/15 at 01:51:04

Interoffice Memo
To:  Computer Services/IT/LAN

George, tell me if this is real and if so provide by end of month a preliminary plan to take advantage of the savings.   I want a roll up of what is real in the standard ROI format that Finance will provide you.  

Will in Finance is getting a copy of this memo, so he will be ready with his own questions as I want him to fast track this for bottom end review for this quarter, if it is real.   Will will present the proposed Finance approved program in OPS REVIEW at the end of this month, so you guys get together and pull all the details together ASAP.  

This is priority one for your department as your whole budget is under review by Will at this time as "too large" relative to our total sales/revenue.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/devices/

signed:  

( illegible arrogant sprawling scribble as used by all big dogs )

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: George, tell me if this is real .......
Reply #1 - 02/24/15 at 02:41:06

Interoffice Memo
To:   Office of the CEO, Headquarters

Sam,  George and I and several of his people have met twice now to roll the numbers together.   I need some guidance from you as it is obvious that George and the IT guys are totally against this idea as it logically involves downsizing their department by about 25% in the first year, with more to come later on as it all shakes out.  The IT guys are NOT interested in this for obvious reasons.  

However it is becoming clear we are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in "software support" payments each year just to support the old LAN infrastructure for the oldest most "out of date" MS type products that are still being supported, all of which would be replaced by the proposed new system with three much less expensive connection products.

Direct savings on full MS OFFICE licenses would run in the neighborhood of 10M as a one time cost avoidance, with some Finance functions needing Excel separate licenses for about a dozen seats.   Training would need to support a program to break everybody in on the new softwares, they rough estimate they would need to spend $300,000 in doing so and that it would take 3 months to complete all layers.   I counter that on-line resources can do the same job at zero cost and in about 5-10 man-hours spent per person, but that is for you and Personnel to decide.   Training will need to do some  hand holding on this one.

I think you need to direct Sheryl in Purchasing to source an outside complete evaluation (possibly to be followed on by an outside sourced implementation team) as I also do not think George & group really knows enough about this new stuff to even ask good enough questions about it.   George's background training was mainframe IBM and later on he was "Microsoft Certified" all the way and he actually knows nothing other than that since he has been here sitting in place since it was all invented.  

George and his people will need re-training or replacement if you go after this cost savings.   I would suggest a full IT restructuring as not all the current functions and layers will be required by the new systems. We need to intentionally hire an open source literate person to replace whatever George's position turns into.

(initial prelim "guess" I have formed is in the realm of 13.5M first year, with same amount in all years following, so you can see why I am asking for an outside eval).

Risk is minimal, see the Price Waterhouse report that I sent you by company courier (sorry for the bulk, but it was only available in paper).   Our risk position mostly comes from our own larger customers who may not feel comfortable with our new systems at first.   We need to poll our customer base on their future plans before committing to this move.

Will

« Last Edit: 02/24/15 at 03:50:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 02/24/15 at 04:06:28

Interoffice Memo
To:  Personnel, Training & Employee Relations

Marcel,  I think we are caught in the horns of a training dilemma.     The training cost of the proposed Google Apps system is on the same order of magnitude as the full retrain scenario for a new Windows 10 system (with a new much higher cost 2015 OFFICE coming along with it that itself requires a separate training effort).

Something I think I heard in the last meeting is that Libre OFFICE and Open OFFICE do not require much retraining from where we are now as it uses the menu bar system very very similar to what we use now.    This may ease this decision as far as the implementation goes as both of these OFFICE products are currently fully supported on all the various OS choices out there, and they read and write all versions of .doc and .exe files.

Please put me together a training recommendation for Libre/Open OFFICE as I am also being told that the Excel version that comes with them is a menu bar system and is painlessly easy for our people to learn compared to Google Sheets.    Do not neglect to look at the free on line training resources for these products as a base for your proposed plan -- the ones who wrote it likely understand it better than some third party training house could understand it.

Please verify that all our existing memo formats and spreadsheet data entry formats can make the Libre/Open OFFICE translation without losing functionality as part of your "ease of use" review.   In short, do the formulas work?   Finance will be doing the same review on their end  from an actuarial perspective.

« Last Edit: 02/24/15 at 07:07:14 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 02/24/15 at 10:18:42

All IT Staff

I asked you guys to dig into this Google stuff hard and quickly uncover some dirt on it so we can combat this move (and keep our cushy jobs).

Whoever sent me this piece from Better Business Bureau needs to learn how to read a little deeper -- this is a recommendation from the BBB not a list of slam items like you normally get from the BBB.    Also notice: the BBB doesn't even HAVE an IT department any more ....

http://googleforwork.blogspot.com/2014/07/better-business-bureau-serving-east...

(unsigned, but likely from George or one of his lieutenants)

« Last Edit: 02/25/15 at 07:55:30 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 02/25/15 at 08:04:27

Interoffice Memo
To:   Office of the CEO, Headquarters

Sir, in checking on Open Office and Libre Office we find them to be essentially the same program.   Furthermore, in polling the secretarial functions we find they are already familiar with the program and have been using it to translate between our older versions of Word and the newer versions (since MS had dropped that full translation ability several revisions ago).

Impression we get is that they would relish the thought of not having to go through another MS Word changeup and that they think Open/Libre is a stable long lasting program that has been their ace in the hole for decades now.

If Google Chromebooks and boxes run this software and we can provide back access to old documents like the ladies say it will do, this is something that will happen unofficially anyway no matter what softwares we officially decide to use.

(signed)   Marcel

(Sir, this memo was typed on Libre Office Write, as are all my memos now since the newest issue of MS Word won't recognize the .doc formatting used in my original headers.   I add my support to what the ladies had to say, MS Word is NOT trouble free during these major changeovers.  BTW, your own secretary Sarah was one of the ones I polled.)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 02/25/15 at 08:15:15

Thank you for the coffee, Sarah.    While you are here, I need to ask you about Open Office / Libre Office and why you would rather use it rather than MS Word 2012 that is installed on your machine.  

(a quiet conversation ensues)

If you personally paid for the Libre Office stuff that you are using because it turns out you needed it, well, in that case I certainly want you to reimburse yourself out of the petty cash drawer for the money you spent .....

(more conversation)

Oh, well that sounds like an amazing program and you certainly cannot argue with the price.   Built by secretaries for secretaries, imagine that.  What sorts of vulnerabilities do these open source type programs entail?    How often do you have to do maintenance on it like virus scan and defragmentation?

(more conversation)

Sarah, did you just say we could re-use all our old Windows machines by loading this Ubuntu/Linux Mint on them FOR FREE?   And pay nothing for the software, forever?    That all our old machines are plenty good enough right the way they are, with no refurbishment?    That European Governments in Spain and Portugal and Germany have already DONE THIS ACROSS THE BOARD?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:21:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › George, tell me if this is real .......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.