Send Topic Print
Why chain conversion? (Read 173 times)
Drow
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Why chain conversion?
02/23/15 at 15:41:13

I see hear on the forum that some have converted their bikes from a belt to a chain.  Can somebody tell me why that is desirable?  I grew up with messy oily chains and all that goes with that.  Maybe I'm missing something but I don't know why someone would want to do that.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Why chain conversion?
Reply #1 - 02/23/15 at 15:43:47

So you can change the gear ratio.  That's all. There's no other benefit. The chain actually uses a little more hp.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/23/15 at 15:44:19

Please read the guidelines before you post.

WWW   IP Logged
Drow
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/23/15 at 16:08:18

Sorry if I did something wrong.  Did I put this in the wrong section or something?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/23/15 at 17:18:06

Drow wrote on 02/23/15 at 16:08:18:
Sorry if I did something wrong.  Did I put this in the wrong section or something?

Yes.  You posted a question in the Technical Articles....which is reserved for tried and proven "How To" articles.

Questions about the Savage go in the Rubber Side Down.

Questions or posting about other stuff and other bikes goes in the Cafe.

In the Tall Table......I don't know...I never go there.

Me....I like the belt and I plan on keeping it.

Here is an old thread about belts vs. chains.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1420040679/9#9

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/23/15 at 21:15:11

You aren't the first,won't be the last,,

Stick around, read, ask,  There's much to know about these bikes.
And the guys here know it inside and out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/23/15 at 22:09:22

Stick with the belt... not only for practicality...
The belt is the eye grabber on this bike...

Tons of people ask me,... "Is the belt drive stock?"....

Wicked awesome fat belt!...
Cool!... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
atomikchicken
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/03/15 at 08:50:11

So you are saying wide tires are so "yesterday."  Wide belts are the new cool/black. I just can not keep up with this fashion stuff.

1998 LS650 with three inch lowered forks, six gallon tank, cafe tail, ape hangers with clip-ons and a six inch belt from a buzz saw.

What did I miss?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/03/15 at 09:17:46

atomikchicken wrote on 03/03/15 at 08:50:11:
So you are saying wide tires are so "yesterday."  Wide belts are the new cool/black. I just can not keep up with this fashion stuff.

1998 LS650 with three inch lowered forks, six gallon tank, cafe tail, ape hangers with clip-ons and a six inch belt from a buzz saw.

What did I miss?

Is the 6 gallon tank stripped of paint, then allowed to rust a bit, then clear coated to keep it from rusting any further? Huh

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 03/03/15 at 09:51:23

I'm over ever widening tires on bikes, It's gone beyond IMO
the Savage is a 30HP 400lb bike with a wider rear tire, stock, than my old XS1100, which with 95 HP and a 600lb curb weight has no issues with traction
I have gone to a bigger (taller) tire in back due to economics, but I always keep in mind that a fatter tire hydroplanes more easily, even on a bike
I watch some of the biker build offs and see the guys fitting ever wider tires to bikes that are ill handling already due to being designed for 'coolness' rather than function and think 'really?, another fat tire, is that all you could think of? it's just copycatting at this point
No offense to guys who like wide tires, the first time I saw a 190 on a chopper I thought it was cool, too, then I saw eleventy gazillion of the same and it got to be very ho hum

I've never forgotten the day when I watched a Beetle out corner a 911 with fat tires on a slick wet road

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/03/15 at 10:05:34

Art Webb wrote on 03/03/15 at 09:51:23:
I've never forgotten the day when I watched a Beetle out corner a 911 with fat tires on a slick wet road

I just thought of this kind of stuff this morning (and Serowbot), as I followed a Geo Metro to work that had skinny narrow little tires on it.

Yep, we have become accustomed to wide tires on cars and bike.....and it is a fashion statement.  On my Cafe' bike I had a 110/90 front tire and a 130/70 rear tire, and when a friend of mine who road races Norton's and Ducati's rode the bike...the first thing he commented on was I should put narrower tires on the bike so it would be more nimble.  I now have a 90/90 front tire and a 110/70 rear tire and they work just fine.  It does however look a little skinny in the back when the rubber drive belt more than half the width of the tire!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 03/03/15 at 10:18:20

Dave have you ever ridden a Ninja 500? I'm curious how the cafes compare to that ergonomically speaking

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/03/15 at 10:56:20

Art Webb wrote on 03/03/15 at 10:18:20:
Dave have you ever ridden a Ninja 500? I'm curious how the cafes compare to that ergonomically speaking

No - I bought a blown up Ninja 250 last summer and put a used engine in it, and it has a very nice seating position and it is very nimble.  Last summer when I had my Ninja down a the Dragon I met two young fellows that rode their Ninja 250's down from Canada.  The 500 is most likely a bit less nimble, has a bit more aggressive seating position - and is a whole lot more powerful.  I do believe the factory bikes are more comfortable than my Cafe' conversion - but I am working on that...this year I will have new seat padding, new angle for my clip ons, and I am changing my fork yokes back to stock to make less trail and a bit less steering effort.  If I were to raise the clip ons above the fork yoke it would be far easier on my arms and it would sit more like a "standard" bike.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/03/15 at 15:02:57

actually the seating posistion on the 500 and 250 are identical, the 250 is mostly smaller in the motor
I loved mine, for short runs, but my old hips compalined about the peg location: lower or farther back would have been okay, but behind and high, not so much
Sometimes I put my feet on the rear pegs on the S40 to take some of the pressure off my butt: I was thinking since it's narrower, it might not be as bad as the Ninja's position, particularly if the foot / knee tuck is a bit roomier
(i have this same issue with my XS1100, which is a big standard / tourer, so I think it's more the width than anything)
Always wanted proper, changeable bars for the thing, and some way to lower the pegs a bit (never once scraped one) otherwise I'd still have the bike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:27:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why chain conversion?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.