Send Topic Print
running then dies (Read 284 times)
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: running then dies
Reply #15 - 02/26/15 at 16:33:06

I ordered a raptor petcock today along with some parts for the carb. I figured since I have it off for a cleaning, I might as well do it right. I was curious how to remove the float pin.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 02/26/15 at 16:51:55

petcock price? Source? Be careful with the pin. Should be easy, if not, support things before you put pressure on anything.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #17 - 02/27/15 at 05:15:00

timmyboy85 wrote on 02/26/15 at 16:33:06:
I ordered a raptor petcock today along with some parts for the carb. I figured since I have it off for a cleaning, I might as well do it right. I was curious how to remove the float pin.

It should only take finger pressure to move the float pin. If more force is required something is misaligned. Wiggle the float as you put pressure on the pin.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 02/27/15 at 05:53:27

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/27/15 at 05:15:00:
timmyboy85 wrote on 02/26/15 at 16:33:06:

It should only take finger pressure to move the float pin. If more force is required something is misaligned. Wiggle the float as you put pressure on the pin.

I think the pin that is sometimes hard to get out....is the hinge pin for the float.  It can become corroded in place, and it comes out only on one side.  It is easier with 3-4 hands - but I place a small 1/4" drive deep socket on my work bench and set the edge of the mount for the pin on top of the socket - then gently tap the hinge pin with a tiny punch and see if I can get it to move.  Soaking with penetrating oil is sometimes necessary.  Don't get in too big of a hurry....breaking off the aluminum mount makes for a bad day.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/27/15 at 14:04:23

I got the pin out no problem. I had trouble with some screw heads stripping on me, but I took my dremel to em and gave em a nice slot to stick a flat head in. Everything is apart and clean. Just waiting for my parts from bike bandit. I also realized that the brass plug that covers that air mixture screw (not sure if thats the name) came out on its own at some point. So once everything is together and running (hopefully). I can adjust that to reduce the backfiring

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #20 - 02/27/15 at 15:34:35

I always replace those Phillips head screws that hold the float bowl with cap screws.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 02/27/15 at 15:36:55

I ordered new ones for a few cents each off of bike bandit. But I think ill head down to my local sears and pick up some of those from the nuts and bolts bin. Thanks for the tip

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 02/27/15 at 15:42:04

IMO adjusting the air/fuel mixture needs to be done while out riding. I typically don't like stopping at the red lights, but a screwdriver in the pocket and some city traffic made making the tiny adjustments easy and I was able to test immediately, till it was like I wanted.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/27/15 at 17:16:44

Im definitely going to read up on those threads about the adjustment before I start playing with it

IP Logged
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/11/15 at 17:35:05

Thanks for the help everyone. I got her running today and even took it for a spin. I rebuilt the carb and threw on a new raptor petcock. It stalled when I put it in second, but some adjustments to the clutch cable fixed that. I think I stretched the cable a bit when I put on my modified tensioner. Its running better than before to. Next im going to tackle the rear brakes and that leaking head bolt issue. Thanks again everyone.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 03/11/15 at 18:05:50

What are you gonna do to the brakes?

IP Logged
timmyboy85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/11/15 at 18:08:57

Just change the shoes. It feels like their worn. I tried adjusting them, but no difference in play.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 03/11/15 at 18:39:22

Odds of the shoes being worn out is as close to zero as your odds of winning the lottery. Unless they have been adjusted to drag till they just cooked..
Can you lock up the rear tire?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:26:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › running then dies

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.