stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Mr. Bojangles...
02/20/15 at 07:28:27

So I was at this chicken place last night that starts with he word "Bo" and ends with "jangles" with my wife and sis-in-laws. Note: I rarely eat fast food and if so it isn't these joints...I try to eat decent but pop-in-law is in the hospital and it's what was around the corner for a quick bite.

Anyhow, I ordered and our food was $12.39. I gave her a $20 bill. She started to count out the paper money and then looked stumped and yelled over at her shift manager for 'change.'  There were about 10 people in line behind us and they were getting antsy. My wife asked what the price was in order to see if she has some bills that would help resolve the issue, and when asked, the clerk said "I don't know" because the screen now just said $7.61 change due and she either (a) couldn't do fundamental math in her head or (b) couldn't read it somewhere on the computer screen in front of her or (c) both.  We stood there for a couple of minutes waiting and still no 'change.'  I glanced over in the cash drawer and could see that all of the coin 'change' trays were full.  I asked her what she was needing and she said all she had was $1s, $10s and $20s, but no $5s.  I politely said to her that if she had seven $1s that it was perfectly fine with me to give me all $1s and let her get her drawer closed so she could take care of the other customers. She did and things got back underway.

Yes, nice of her to not want to load me up with $1s. but at what point does common sense and customer service not kick in and let you make that effort versus having to have a customer tell you what to do.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Mr. Bojangles...
Reply #1 - 02/20/15 at 08:59:55

And really don't know HOW it got like this..
Spend some time listening to Charlotte Izerbyt interviews. The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 02/20/15 at 18:57:19

I like how it confuses people if my total is $17.38 and I give the clerk $20.38. I should receive $3 in change. Typically they look at me as if to say $20 should more than cover the bill. I usually get my $0.38 back plus $2.62!  Angry

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 02/21/15 at 15:51:09

My wife and I ate at the local one here in town some time ago. It was not late, past supper but way before closing time. She wanted the breast meal, two sides, whatever, they told her they didn't have any breasts. I'm thinking, really?! So, being the sweet thing she is, she just got a chicken sandwich, fries, whatever. I ordered the three wing meal, sides, tea. Paid for it, move to the end of the line to pick up our order, they fixed her sandwich and looked at me and said, "We don't have three wings."

I just looked back, paused for a moment and said, in a very nice voice, "You mean in this whole chicken restaurant you don't have three chicken wings?" And just waited.

They finally said, "Uh,yeah, in the back, but you'll have to wait for us to cook them."

To which I replied, "OK, I'll gladly wait for hot chicken wings."

They told me we could go sit down and they bring them to me.

When they did, guess what was on the plate. Not just the wings, but a big ole, chicken breast. After my dear sweet wife had eaten that sandwich.

Sometimes I look at folks and wonder who tied their shoes in the morning.

And I remember common sense is not a flower that blooms in everyone's garden.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 02/21/15 at 18:03:24

i went to pizza hut once in the middle of the day and there were people inside but the door was locked. i finally got someone's attention and they yelled through the door, " we outta do' (dough)"  

that's like sea world running out of water for the animal tanks. come on people.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 02/22/15 at 08:01:48

I love these....

As for me I work in a big place. Its a 20 minute walk to closest on-site cafeteria. But there are coke and snack machine right around the corner from my office. Due to that I collect quarters as the dollar changer often either wont take the dollar or jams in doing so. I figure I have about $50 in quarters in my desk now.

Its always a fun brain game to make sure I get a quarter as change. So I am always giving the checkout lady ( I generally go to the same place each day to one of two ladies) a few pennies or nickles or what-ever is called for to get a "case quarter" back.

These ladies have been working longer than I and I have been here 16 years. Yet they are always amazed I can plop down the "right" change as quick as they can get the register open. As I said, its become just a fun little game.

As to the real "dumbing down" .. its very real.. but I am not sure its even avoidable.  Why teach how to use the card catalog... when the card catalog is now GONE replaced with a google like search engine? Why have piles of expensive computer programming books, when you can just google it. The only time I write cursive now is my signature.. and that's never been legible.  To be sure I lament what I feel is the passing of some very real and possible worthwhile knowledge and skills, but I am sure cartwrites (sp) felt the same way.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 02/22/15 at 10:00:08

Pine wrote on 02/22/15 at 08:01:48:
The only time I write cursive now is my signature.. and that's never been legible.

I thought about that the other day. I always print everything. Someone told me the other day that they were going to bring back teaching cursive in schools. I never knew it left!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:20:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Mr. Bojangles...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.