Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical Gremlin/ Incompitent Electrician (Read 95 times)
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Electrical Gremlin/ Incompitent Electrician
02/17/15 at 19:35:02

So here I go with the electrical issues.  I can turn a wrench but I can't figure out electrical systems.  So here I am, bumbling through my electrical system, the best I can.  I get a new brake light wired up.  Turn on the ignition and..... Its ALIVE!  Problem: No brake light, only running light.  Turn off ignition, thinking I have the ground wire confused, I switch the brown wire and black/white wire. Turn on ignition and I hear a click. DOH!  That wasn't it!  Now nothing.  No starter, no lights, no nothing!  Gotta be a fuse?  (hopefully). Thoughts?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Electrical Gremlin/ Incompitent Electrician
Reply #1 - 02/18/15 at 03:14:31

So.....you need to show us the light....and how many wires come out of it.  We also need to know what colors the wires are.....and you need to take off the lense and confirm that the bulb is a dual filament bulb, that is meant to be used as a running and brake light.

Chances are you bought a tail light that is only one filament, and the two wires are "power" and "ground".

And yes....you blew a fuse on the second try.  It is located on the right side of the bike, just under the seat bottom, by the top of the side panel that is the same color as the tank and fenders.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/18/15 at 03:46:49

Make sure you have a No kidding BRAKE light. If it's LED, I'm not a good help. But,it's got filaments, make sure that it has 2.
Fuses are in a box under the right thigh, not impossible to get to with the seat on, but easier to find first time..

If you don't have a volt meter,you need to,and a small battery charger...

Heh, I had this open when I went to bed, woke up and replied,,, Dave already had it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/18/15 at 04:05:01

Thanks Dave.  Thanks Justin. Here is the light.  Its the Ryca sold bullet light.  Three wires.  Red, black, and black/white.  It is a dual filament bulb as well. The ground wire came off and I pulled it apart to solder it back on.  I am wondering if the base was installed backwards, ie the terminals switched at the base of the light, would it affect the brake light?

Also, can you direct me to a picture of this fuse or a thread already started? Perhaps what is even called as well.  This way I will be better educated terminology wise.  Nothing is in the original spot anymore.  Is it a readily available fuse that can be purchased at an auto parts store? I laugh at my question because there is little I have purchased for the bike that has been.

PHILS-SURFACE_-_WIN_20150218_065723.JPG
  IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #4 - 02/18/15 at 04:19:25

From Cyclepedia:

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 02/18/15 at 04:23:36

If you don't have a volt meter,you need to get one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/18/15 at 04:40:07

On the stock bike wiring harness:  Brown is the power for the running light, black with white dashes is the ground, and white with black dashes is the brake light.

On the RYCA light....most likely the red is the stop.  One would suppose the black wire is the ground - but you need to confirm that by checking with an ohm meter to see if the black wire and the metal housing are connected together.  You need to confirm which wire is the ground....and connect that wire to the back wire (with white dashes) in the wiring harness.  Then you need to connect one of the other light wires to the brown wiring harness light....so that the dimmer of the two lights comes on.  The remaining wire would be the brake light and should be connected to the white wire (with black dashes) in the wiring harness.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/18/15 at 15:43:08

Grin Grin GrinThe Gurus of the Savage Board come through yet again!! Grin Grin Grin

Got home, found the fuse holder, changed out a fuse, connected the ground and went from there.  (I knew the ground was the ground because I checked continuity with my NEW VOLT METER [Thanks Justin!!]). Turned the ignition, and.....LET THERE BE LIGHT!  Pulled the brake lever, and boom.  Look at me and my fancy new brake light!! Pushed the ignition and the engine turned over too.  

Once again, I learned a few things and the satisfaction has me beaming brighter than my brake light!  I can't thank you guys enough.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 02/18/15 at 16:20:10

Dude, hang around, one day it'll be you explaining the How To for a new guy..
Don't think I don't remember being intimidated by the bike, and I have a history, electronics,, Air Force, they forced me,, I was lousy, but learned enough to survive as a copier and cash register repair guy and body work and some mechanical experience on cars, but a Bike? Easy to get shook by something new. You'll be checking and adjusting valves, installing a Verslavy, doing brakes,

If you don't have a tool box, well,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:17:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical Gremlin/ Incompitent Electrician

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.