Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More computer stuff... I know.. blame OF (Read 105 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
More computer stuff... I know.. blame OF
02/17/15 at 13:45:22

SO more computer stuff...
I just ordered a pair of "mesh" wifi routers. Normally mesh capable wifi is high dollar think $1000 type routers EACH. But I found open-mesh and have bought my first two with power supplies ( separate charge and shipping) for $185.

Mesh lets you attach ONE wifi router or Acess point ( AP) to your Ethernet modem or switch and then just by powering up others within its range they set up their own "mesh" network such that users ( aka cell phones, laptops) can roam about and the signal will move from one router to the next ( ie follow them) to keep them at the best signal.  Think of it as a "smart" wifi repeater.

I am doing this because my now OLD wifi unit is starting to stutter, and hopefully this will let me start a system that I can build on if needed.

www.open-mesh.com

I bough one OM2P-HS  and one OM2-LC ( for my bedroom)

They did suggest I consider the 5ghz model, but i am not sure all my devices are capable of that band.. may be later.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: More computer stuff... I know.. blame OF
Reply #1 - 02/17/15 at 15:50:32

Hell yes, you should all blame OF .....

I always do because he always is starting up SOMETHING SOMEWHERE.

Roll Eyes   .... so he's always guilty of something, somewhere, somehow.

Even MS and Intel blame him when they miss-poot ---- he's obviously guilty since he's the one that smelled it  !!!!

« Last Edit: 02/18/15 at 06:51:49 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 02/17/15 at 22:32:14

Just how big an area are you looking to cover?
Couple of acres?  4,000 square foot house?
House and Garage?

Personally I was looking at a couple of these..
http://us.dlink.com/products/home-solutions/cloud-camera-1050-day-network-clo...

They will expand my Wi-Fi by boosting the signal, and they are security cameras to boot....
So I put these near the outside of my house, and put a couple of other cameras outside on the eaves and maybe on a pole, with the boosted Wi-Fi the outside cameras should then work ok. (in theory)

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 02/18/15 at 08:49:20

HAHAHAHAHHA

yeah .. just what I need a wifi camera in the bedroom.... smile honey!

actually its a modest home, placement hasn't worked out to be central.. so the backroom is weak. And we have TWO netflix accounts on 6 devices! My family is spoiled by my hobby.  

Sunday.. my wife spent the better part of the day in bed ( the new memory foam matress with those electric motors) with:
kindle
laptop
cell phone
and the TV all going at once.

mean time I was out in the yard raking .. well until I tripped and sprained my wrist.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/18/15 at 16:37:23

Dude,when you wanna go in and sit around, you can, you don't hafta fake an injury..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 02/19/15 at 10:04:38

Open mesh is designed mainly for offices and hotels with more than one inbound line.
With all that you are trying to do at once....adding more "routers" is not really going to help your connection.
What you are doing is splitting your signal from your modem, good for signal strength, but your routers are connected to "one" modem.
So you are still going to bottle neck at your modem, and that's probably  why your router is "starting to stutter" (either that or you have an old modem?).
I have a 3 smart TV's, 3 smart phones, a Wii, 2 Play stations  and 4 laptops drawing signal from my cisco "U"..... of course not all at once, but the televisions and phones and laptops are on after about 3pm.
My current cable modem is 3 years old...... its time for a new one...with a hardware update I will get a better performance from my one year old cisco router.
Do you have the fastest speed your cable or dish company will allow? More often than not you are locked into what is available and not really the "boosted" speed.
To get the faster speeds, they will open your band width, they call it "boosting" to make it sound great... but it just allows for more packets of info to process and of course it costs more.
Maybe you could ask them for a "business" line..... of course you will pay out the who haw for it, but it would provide really fast speeds.
Not sure how hip you are on the net thing...sounds like you know what you want..... i'm just not sure you are going to get more speed or stop the stutter, with that setup.
You don't have to buy the cameras....they make Wi-Fi extenders, but they loose about 50% of speed from the relay.
There is a system however you can plug into your wall outlets...

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-powerline-networking-kit/

Anyway, let us know how your setup works, its always good to get information from folks that actually find a system that works well.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 02/19/15 at 17:10:13

If you've got one of those 2-wire modem/routers that the internet company installs, they already transmit at 4x the legal power limit.  You should be good to go for about 1/2 mile if your other equipment can get back to it.

If not, if your router has removeable antennae, you can get high-gain antennae cheap from ebay and extend your range a great deal with one of those.

I will be very interested to hear how the mesh routers work. That is another time sharing scheme.  You lose bandwidth by passing the signal on. It is a veryinteresting idea, though for providing internet over a large area that has only 1 or 2 access points.  The theory is great but I am afraid that in practical use, the overhead from being several nodes out might be very detrimental to throughput.

Please let us know how well it works and how it was to get set up and running.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 02/20/15 at 18:43:58

Steve H wrote on 02/19/15 at 17:10:13:
If you've got one of those 2-wire modem/routers that the internet company installs, they already transmit at 4x the legal power limit.  You should be good to go for about 1/2 mile if your other equipment can get back to it.

If not, if your router has removeable antennae, you can get high-gain antennae cheap from ebay and extend your range a great deal with one of those.

I will be very interested to hear how the mesh routers work. That is another time sharing scheme.  You lose bandwidth by passing the signal on. It is a veryinteresting idea, though for providing internet over a large area that has only 1 or 2 access points.  The theory is great but I am afraid that in practical use, the overhead from being several nodes out might be very detrimental to throughput.

Please let us know how well it works and how it was to get set up and running.

WOOT!  Pretty dern stocked on this purchase!

First things first.. I am not sure that I a "2wire". I have an AT&T modem with wireless. But I can't control DNS So I would not let anyone use it. In fact after installing the new mesh routers.. I turned the AT&T wireless OFF!

I downloaded a wifi analyzer app on my tablet, with that big ole screen you great a GREAT image of whats going on. So I am able to walk around the house and watch as the various signals (strength) go up and down.

The install was actually pretty quick and painless, though it the entire mesh network is CLOUD based - I don't REALLY like that but meh.. The cloud software is VERY basic.. so its very easy. It is designed for hotels and coffeshops and such. Places with zero "tech" support, so its pretty dern easy.

My setup: great room (south center of house) has the OM2P-HS, which is thier "high speed" unit @ 300mbps. IN my bedroom is the OM2P-LC ( for low cost) which is only 150Mbps. The so they have names Main and bedroom.. yep thats what I told the cloud to call them. Main is actually hard-wired to my network going back to the AT&T modem. But the bedroom... its just plugged in.

Currently the "old" wifi ( named Encore, as thats the brand) is also in the great room, about 10 feet from the new wifi.  Using the tablet and the wifi analyzer, you can watch as I move from close to the Encore the signal is -58 db and the Main is -50db (higher is better). Now whats hard to see is that there are TWO MAIN signals with the second signal about -70db.  The nearest neighbor signal is -79db.  As I walk towards the hallway and thus pass the Main in the great room and move further from the Encore ..the two begin slipping such that Main goes to about -45db while the Encore dives to -60db. AS I walk to the bedroom the Encore just keeps dropping to -70db as the Main drops as well, but just as I enter the bedroom the "other" Main zooms to about -40db.

So far I am VERY pleased.
I ahve not even gone into the fact that you get TWO SSID (networks), one is private, the other "public", but you can secure both. ON the public one I can set bot an upload and a download LIMIT.. thats pretty cool. I can also create a printed voucher, with the access info and give this to my sons friends when they come over. I set how long they can access and an overall date at which the voucher expires.  No more just giving my wifi out to my sons friends when they come over ( or my daughters for that matter).

Total cost $185.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 02/22/15 at 12:00:27

Pine
So do you have Uverse?  You mentioned AT&T and then a modem with router, so I am assuming (and we all know where that goes), you have DSL.
A Modem/Router combo is a "limited" system as you cannot add components without loosing signal speed. Your signal strength will improve but download and upload speeds from components using the "extended" signal units will be slower because of the relay of data packets.

Its kewl that you can limit your "usage", I know I can assign "guest" privileges, but I cannot limit data usage or time online. Its just me, the wife, and the sis-in-law, so that's not really a problem here.

I haven't messed with a DSL system for awhile, so i'll keep my opinions to myself now...LOL....

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 02/24/15 at 10:18:34

Yeah.. AT&T (our cell phone provider) wrangled me into... though to be honest ComCast made it pretty dern easy with their craptastic service and 'tude.

I do not claim to be an expert.. but com on.. wifi is a billion times slower than anything wired.. so I am not at all worried about packet re-transmit over wires. Over all throughput is (now) is doing what I want.

Actually, if you really wanted to shoot down wired.. my home network runs through multiple devices:

AT&T modem to dlink router ( does nor support wireless)
dlink router to 8-port "green" switch
8-port switch to 5-port switch
5-port swtich to a) open-mesh OM2P-HC
*if working from back bedroom the OM2P-HC to OM2P-LC repeater

Why:
The AT&T router has locked in DNS so they can push TV ads
the dlink has a very nice firewall and I use openDNS to block internet bad stuff
8-port has my desk top, sons desktop, and NAS
5-port has VOIP phone, and BlueRay for Living room Netflix

(they whys are in addition to the in-between connections of course)

So far the DSL @ 25m has been fine. I am not paying for higher, be it AT&T or Comcast. When C spire finally does THIS neighborhood, then I will go with them for (hopefully) the promised full fiber connection.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 02/24/15 at 10:39:57

I do dislike how companies push the adds or make you pay more for an "addless" service.
I remember about 6 years ago they were attempting to pass a bill about the volume of commercial ads on television, they were always louder than the actual program in progress and people were wanting a way to "mute" commercials.
Several TV manufacturers actually were coming out with TVs you could actually automatically mute the commercials with "if" they passed the bill in congress.
But alas, it never happened (the power of lobbying).... but I have a thumb and a "mute" on my remote, so all is good. Smiley

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 02/25/15 at 09:15:23

old_rider wrote on 02/24/15 at 10:39:57:
I do dislike how companies push the adds or make you pay more for an "addless" service.
I remember about 6 years ago they were attempting to pass a bill about the volume of commercial ads on television, they were always louder than the actual program in progress and people were wanting a way to "mute" commercials.
Several TV manufacturers actually were coming out with TVs you could actually automatically mute the commercials with "if" they passed the bill in congress.
But alas, it never happened (the power of lobbying).... but I have a thumb and a "mute" on my remote, so all is good. Smiley

OHHHH AT&T is MUCH more EVIL... while you are watching TV.. they will have either embedded or a "popup" its too slick to tell which. but it will say

Press "insert button name" now for instant access to this new release!

Thats right, they push the advertisement down, then somehow they can recocile that ad with you pressing a button to go to a "paid movie" station. I made the mistake ONCE. They said it would be free, but then they charged me. (physically went over to get it removed).

It truely is evil. If you are on their system, they OWN you and everything you CAN watch  and do their best to make sure thier content is easy to get to, while all other content is difficult/impossible.

That said the DVR is nice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:22:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › More computer stuff... I know.. blame OF

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.