Cheap tablets (Read 101 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Cheap tablets
02/17/15 at 11:49:34

Ok...just saw a video on you tube about cheap little tablets, and they mentioned Ali Express....
Seems as if you can pick and choose what features you want for a little Wi-Fi wonder.
Going to look for one for my son and a nephew .
Getting one for my son for semi-sorta business reasons... getting one for the nephew so he will quit bugging his aunt (my wife) about getting online and getting his pay statements for the month (he is terrible about writing down and keeping his account information).
Thought i'd look around here and see what they have... heard some were as low as $50 and fair to middlin' decent....

http://www.aliexpress.com/category/100005062/tablet-pcs.html

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
AlfromNH
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Cheap tablets
Reply #1 - 02/17/15 at 13:09:27

Looks like some good deals. Let us know how it works out for you.

AL

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 02/17/15 at 13:32:25

For $50 I got a refurb from Newegg (HANSPREE). I t came this past sat, and I have already spent several hours setting it up to all sorts things I am now taking off my phone.  

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 02/17/15 at 22:13:12

Pine wrote on 02/17/15 at 13:32:25:
For $50 I got a refurb from Newegg (HANSPREE). I t came this past sat, and I have already spent several hours setting it up to all sorts things I am now taking off my phone.  

Please feel free to post your review of it...... I really want to get the nephew off my wifes back.... it is getting annoying... Undecided

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 02/18/15 at 09:12:00

Well I am a tablet noob.. but this is the unit at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100013680%20%2040...

It has a very nice AL back .. so it "looks" high dollar. It has twin back firing speaks, but they are weak compared to my HTC One with dual front firing Beats speakers. No biggie, there is a headphone jack.. and they are "good enough".

I watched my first Netflix movie on it last without nary a buffer or hiccup. Thats pretty dern amazing to me. My phone buffers on little ole youtube vids!

So, I mean for $50 ,, it seems a good value. I am a task person, so in getting the tablet it need to be useful and so far it is.

I was using my phone as an alarm clock.. now the tablet does this, Phone goes OFF at night.
I watch certain youtube channels daily, my WD streaming box lasted all of 2 weeks before it burned up and died. So the tablet has this chore.
I like to check Craigslist... not daily.. but often... now I can do that in bed while watching the local news.
I offloaded CL app from my phone, the fandango app, and the redbox app... all these are on the tablet and if I want to check these I am normally at home anyway. Basically any app i don't normally check on the phone on the road .. I put on the tablet.
So far it has done everything .. taken every app... oo that reminds me I need to add TEDtalks apps.. love that stuff.
I loaded Chrome browser and a few Google apps that I never had on the phone like drive. I dont have ANY mail on there .. I just dont want the thing beeping me for incomming crap. The phone has two email accounts and facebook .. so its always beeping and buzzing.
The manual says to charge 10 hours before first use.. the completely discharge .. then recharge to full .. then you can use as normal. After that first charge, its suppose to re-charge in 5 hours from dead.

I do not like the charger, OK thats kinda strong.. I am disappointed that the charge is the old BARREL tube type versus just a USB variant. Just seems dumb.
1Gb RAM
16/12 GB internal (SD) thats what they call it
an external micro SD port ( I put a 16 GB in there)
micro HDMI .. not sure I will ever use that

It seems that as is the norm ... 99% apps cant be put on the external SD but many can be put on the internal SD.

This beats using a tiny phone screen for things other that calls ( youtube/browser) by a mile.

This seems to be an OLDER model, thus the price break, but it seems completely functional for my needs.

IP Logged
phatts27
YaBB Newbies

anyone on here play
forza 4?

clementon nj
Reply #5 - 02/18/15 at 10:08:30

I'd like to suggest buying your tablet from somewhere that offers insurance. At bestbuy, they charged me $30 extra for a 1 year warranty and it was worth it. During that period, they will replace your warranted device for any reason at no charge. If the problem is a defect, your 1 year warranty will not expire. If you break the screen or drop it in the toilet, they will still replace it for free but they will charge you $30 if you would like another year of coverage. I'm on my third kindle fire, but I've only paid for 1!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 02/18/15 at 11:42:48

PS:
I just read the few reviews on it.. they claim it is slow.. which it may be .. but not compared to my phone. I did DL an "app killer". It shows that the OS does open several OS related apps (just like windoze) so it may be that. I used the app killer like I do on my phone ( which does not open lots of OS type apps) to release memory after a good bit of use.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 02/19/15 at 10:16:53

I had an app killer on my htc thunderbolt, I still use it in the house because it has Wi-Fi (and all my songs are on it), it just started having "ghosts in the machine" and started randomly calling people, the headset port would quit, then work, then quit.... the blue tooth would scream with a high pitch now and then... I tried multiple headsets.
So I got a new mini-droid by google/Motorola, I like it... but never had a battery problem until about 2 weeks ago... I guess I could download the app killer and see if it helps.

I am still going through all the cheap tablets... reading specs and what ports they have, gb's, ram...... and of course reviews....
Lots of stuff.....sigh...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/19/15 at 10:39:51

I'm having good luck with the Hisense tegra3 tablets, about a year and a half ago.

I also bought an ASUS 10" for dad

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1375976637

Kids are using them in school for their browsing/facebook/in class note taking/recording and are happy with them.  Allow them to upload the handouts and view locally/later.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 02/20/15 at 03:27:01

Got to the root of my wife's latest computer complaint -- it is a new game (internet browser based game) that "won't keep up" on her PC.    She normally plays on her iPad2 and she can't maintain the score level on the PC because it literally can't keep up with her and the game.

I told her when she was playing on her iPad2 she was using a small fast kitten to play the game, tip the cups it was.

When she was playing on the PC, she was using an aged full grown elephant to play the game, one that can't even see the cups to tip them, but instead ponderously stomps them all when it gets around to finally moving its feet.

HOWEVER, that game will cause my wife to shift away from PC ......  it is something PC cannot do well.

MS, pay attention -- your OS is too fat, too crudded up with crap and TOO SLOW.    

People will learn, you need ONE (1) household elephant hooked up to a scanner and a printer for elephant sized tasks.   The rest of your stuff in your life is better served with a tablet or a Chromebook (picked to complement your phone, ideally).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 02/20/15 at 10:25:50

Yep OF, you is spot on.....
My PC dumped its hard drive a few weeks ago.
I went a shopping and ended up with a HP Envy all in one with all the fix'n and under a grand.
It is beautiful and the beats audio is amazing, real close to my Bose wave.
However, it is loaded to the hilt with associated programs.
I imagine they paid MS/HP for the privilege of spamming us  Angry

For a newer unit with all its technology, it is slower.
I am not a quick study and barely grasp (if at all) the stuff you talk about....
I don't like touching the screen as I have to lean forward to do so, and tho you can navigate with mouse and keyboard, it appears they are trying to break us of that habit, for they put addition hoops to navigate through using that format.
Windows 8.1 is just plain weird and seems designed by engineers who have no real life experience of, uh, real life....
Their defaults (programs) are not user friendly and tax my ability to change them to my own liking and preference.
I feel like I am about to wipe out my whole computer whenever I attempt such, often just giving up and going with what is there, arg  Lips Sealed

The graphics are amazing, and it has been a real blessing in my photo editing (daily) of all the photography I do in capturing my wife's art ( beads) that she crafts and we sell on the INTERNET.

Streaming movies, etc, is wonderful, and almost elevates the need for TV/cable, that is if you like watching them by yourself  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:22:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cheap tablets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.