Today's Youth (Read 385 times)
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Re: Today's Youth
Reply #45 - 02/23/15 at 14:34:03

Serowbot wrote on 02/23/15 at 08:29:01:
I bet more people are surprised that I did finish the 8th grade...  Undecided...

I also have 6 years of college...
Where I earned a 2 year degree...  Undecided...
Grin Grin Grin...

First statement : hahahahaha  Grin

Second : that will probably be me at the rate I'm going.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #46 - 02/24/15 at 15:18:25

you should give me an option on those older books you don't think will do well at auction, and you don't keep for yourself,MN, I'd be interested to see the difference
I don't have loads of money for actual collectibles, but I might be able to pay a dignified price for some of the 'beaters' and I buy books to read, not collect

I love to learn, when I am interested, and when I'm not, I'm utterly unteachable, my teachers either loved or hated me, sometimes both lol

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #47 - 02/24/15 at 17:39:24

Art Webb wrote on 02/23/15 at 08:01:45:
I dunno about in space, but we have documents here on earth that are 100s of years old and still legible, written with ink
will penciled writing last that long? I could swear I've seen school papers from 10 years ago that are nearly faded to nothing

This is genuine curiosity, am I wrong on this?
I do love the NASA thing, I use it when I think people are over complicating things

I doubt whether pencil will fade like modern inks can. And the ink fading really depends on the kind of ink used. Some fades in years, others will last for centuries, or longer if properly conserved. We have items in our special collection at work that are over 1000 years old in very good condition. The illuminations are beautiful and full of colour. Most of that age are written on vellum and the inks are mostly solids based not chemical. Rag paper lasts a long time, too.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #48 - 02/24/15 at 17:55:53

I'm not sure if fading was what I meant, though I may have said it that way, but don't penciled documents get blurry to the point of illegibility over time with handling more quickly than even modern inks? good point on how ink is made now vs 100s of years ago, it's definitely not the same animal
I'm just thinking if normal ink is so transient, why is everything done in ink now? not just legal documents, I understand that, you don;t want those erasable, but even school assignments must be done in ink
I thought the point was permanency
Am I off here?

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #49 - 02/24/15 at 18:05:03

Sure, pencil can be smudged if you handle it carelessly. So can ink. Some pencil more so than others, think hardness. You're right about the permanence thing, ink can't be erased like pencil can. I guess in school, so the student can't correct their work after the fact and dispute marks given? And on legal documents, it has to be black or blue ink: red won't show up properly on a photocopy. In this days, the ink will probably outlast the acidic, lignin rich junk paper it's printed on anyway.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #50 - 02/24/15 at 18:09:27

savskad wrote on 02/22/15 at 16:21:55:
Also...I for some reason feel I'm not "college-material". (Even though I'm going to college at the moment. Just one class...learning AutoCAD.)

Don't worry about it, man. I did a trade (heavy diesel) and didn't go to university until I was over 30. You have all the time in the world.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #51 - 02/25/15 at 01:24:24

Art Webb wrote on 02/23/15 at 08:01:45:
old_rider wrote on 02/22/15 at 11:35:53:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/17/15 at 19:56:09:
My favorite,... American engineers spent like a million dollars designing a pen that would write upside-down for use in space... Russians had the same problem,.. they used a pencil instead...
Grin...and it only costs $0.50 a week for the old lady to come and sweep out the capsule.

I always thought that was a silly commercial about the space pens.... because most ink is water based and will eventually disappear, where as a pencil is carbon and won't.
Also, ink will run out in pens faster than a pencil lead will run out, although a pencil will "shorten" and a pen won't.
There is a rather large "debate" on pen vrs. pencil.... i'm a pencil fan myself, because I can correct my mistakes, an erasable ink is very likely to disappear on its own after a few years on paper. Smiley
LOL and also, I carry a sharpener (knife) and a couple pencils in every vehicle... so in the event of an apocalypse, I can start a fire... well...if I can remember where I put that magnesium fire thing....

I dunno about in space, but we have documents here on earth that are 100s of years old and still legible, written with ink
will penciled writing last that long? I could swear I've seen school papers from 10 years ago that are nearly faded to nothing

This is genuine curiosity, am I wrong on this?
I do love the NASA thing, I use it when I think people are over complicating things

Well, I have watched programs about aboriginal cultures spitting berry dies around their hands that have lasted for thousands of years, and cave drawings using "burnt sticks" still there also.... there in lies the "test of time" ink vrs. pencil (carbon) drawings.....
Who am I to say which will still be there in the next million years?
I was just saying, there is a debate.... and I think PENCIL WILL WIN! LOLCheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:19:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Today's Youth

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.