Today's Youth (Read 385 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: Today's Youth
Reply #30 - 02/21/15 at 08:48:53

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/21/15 at 04:26:33:

Of course it was assumed the person you were making change for was equally skilled and could easily keep up with the simple addition.

yeah JOG. As a kid I remember clerks counted change back to people...

I was taught to always count the change back (with the tendered money on top of the drawer)  in my first pharmacy internship in a family owned drugstore.  

I still count change back to people if I'm at the register - as much as anything just to enjoy their baffled expressions.

("why's the druggist counting backwards??')   Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 02/21/15 at 09:03:05

Serowbot wrote on 02/21/15 at 07:21:51:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/17/15 at 19:56:09:
I was on a job with two engineers. They tried to design a tool for lifting a broken piece of casing pipe.. both broke. I designed the last one ,using the last of the one inch plate,, mine worked..and they weren't stupid, I'm just good at some stuff..

My favorite,... American engineers spent like a million dollars designing a pen that would write upside-down for use in space... Russians had the same problem,.. they used a pencil instead...
Grin...

and it only costs $0.50 a week for the old lady to come and sweep out the capsule.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 02/21/15 at 09:17:25

Yeah, my G-paw taught me how to count change, about age 9.. it's SO easy..

And, owing $18.24 and handing the clerk $20.25 ,,,
Instead of $1.76, I get $2.01.
And usually a confused look.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #33 - 02/21/15 at 10:40:07

Try giving someone a $2 bill. I was told it was fake money one time.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 02/21/15 at 13:34:45

spearheadss wrote on 02/21/15 at 10:40:07:
Try giving someone a $2 bill. I was told it was fake money one time.

I worked with a guy that liked to play games with those kind of folks.  He paid with $ 2.00 bills, Sacajawea dollar coins, and Susan B Anthony's..... Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #35 - 02/21/15 at 15:12:55

... and Susan B Anthony's..... Grin

Careful!  They'll expect 75 more cents!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #36 - 02/22/15 at 11:35:53

My favorite,... American engineers spent like a million dollars designing a pen that would write upside-down for use in space... Russians had the same problem,.. they used a pencil instead...
Grin...and it only costs $0.50 a week for the old lady to come and sweep out the capsule.

I always thought that was a silly commercial about the space pens.... because most ink is water based and will eventually disappear, where as a pencil is carbon and won't.
Also, ink will run out in pens faster than a pencil lead will run out, although a pencil will "shorten" and a pen won't.
There is a rather large "debate" on pen vrs. pencil.... i'm a pencil fan myself, because I can correct my mistakes, an erasable ink is very likely to disappear on its own after a few years on paper. Smiley
LOL and also, I carry a sharpener (knife) and a couple pencils in every vehicle... so in the event of an apocalypse, I can start a fire... well...if I can remember where I put that magnesium fire thing....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 02/22/15 at 12:33:29

My magnesium fire starting thing hangs in the shop with a bag of kindling.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #38 - 02/22/15 at 16:21:55

I'm 23 years old right now...I will be honest, there are a lot of little details I probably missed in High School my "ADD" doesn't help either when it came to paying attention in class.

But I do know what the Constitution is.
I do know what the bill of rights is.
I know george washington was our first president.
I know who won the Civil war.
I know who BIDEN is.
I know that we gained independence from Britain in 1776.

Please refer to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRZZpk_9k8E

They know who SNOOKIE is!  Smiley

Also...I for some reason feel I'm not "college-material". (Even though I'm going to college at the moment. Just one class...learning AutoCAD.)

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #39 - 02/22/15 at 18:55:04

Sav..... I took a year of college drafting, scored high on all the tests.... was in the top 10 of a class of 50..... while in class we had to use higher math to solve equations, geometry, trigonometry and calculus.
After the class was finished, I decided to take my prerequisites to finish my first degree.
I was told by the counselor that assisted folks on their path to degrees, that I would have to take basic math classes and some algebra classes to get my degree.
I argued with several counselors and the college director about having to take the basic math classes after I had already had higher math during my drafting class. Why should I have to pay for classes that I did not need?
Because it was listed as a prereq..... is all they would say. Needless to say, I ended up dropping out of college and writing the Illinois board of education about it, to me it was the principle of the thing..... I had a "big" head...and couldn't be cured of it. LOL... I still do not have a degree.
Guess what...10 years later they had "testable" ways to circumvent having to spend more cash on un-needed classes.
I still have copies from our local newspaper that lists folks that made "The deans list" in the college... my mom cut out a dozen or so because she was proud of me, later when I dropped out she was sooooo mad.
Guess I told my story so you would know.... stay in school.... not because its cool.... LOL.... just so you will have a piece of paper that says you are smart.... and folks will hire you, "4years"  looks a lot better on a resume than "some college".

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #40 - 02/23/15 at 08:01:45

old_rider wrote on 02/22/15 at 11:35:53:
Grin...and it only costs $0.50 a week for the old lady to come and sweep out the capsule.

I always thought that was a silly commercial about the space pens.... because most ink is water based and will eventually disappear, where as a pencil is carbon and won't.
Also, ink will run out in pens faster than a pencil lead will run out, although a pencil will "shorten" and a pen won't.
There is a rather large "debate" on pen vrs. pencil.... i'm a pencil fan myself, because I can correct my mistakes, an erasable ink is very likely to disappear on its own after a few years on paper. Smiley
LOL and also, I carry a sharpener (knife) and a couple pencils in every vehicle... so in the event of an apocalypse, I can start a fire... well...if I can remember where I put that magnesium fire thing....

I dunno about in space, but we have documents here on earth that are 100s of years old and still legible, written with ink
will penciled writing last that long? I could swear I've seen school papers from 10 years ago that are nearly faded to nothing

This is genuine curiosity, am I wrong on this?
I do love the NASA thing, I use it when I think people are over complicating things

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #41 - 02/23/15 at 08:02:26

Partially relevant :

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/02/18/mike-rowe-was-asked-if-a-college-d...

I plan on getting at least an associate's degree. I currently have a good job with the City of Austin, so I don't wanna quit to go to school full time. I'm gonna try to just take night classes and work through like that.

I do appreciate the concern, however.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #42 - 02/23/15 at 08:19:38

Highly relevant, I'd say
I wonder how many forum members would be surprised to know I never completed 8th grade
I wonder if my boss wishes he'd insisted on a HSD or GED (nope)
get yer school paper, it 'proves' you're 'smart' but always remember, some of the most famous figure in history, and first leaders of our nation, never completed the 8th grade either

I know I've shocked a lot of people (who know I never finished HS but not much else) with what I know, that a lot of graduates don't

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #43 - 02/23/15 at 08:29:01

I bet more people are surprised that I did finish the 8th grade...  Undecided...

I also have 6 years of college...
Where I earned a 2 year degree...  Undecided...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #44 - 02/23/15 at 13:35:46

When ever I go to a Auction, and their is a old box/s of books their, and they go cheep, I buy them.  
Read some, collect some, put some in the stove.

Anyway, have several, old, school books.
Mostly grade school, some high school.
and from reading them.

50 + years ago, a 8th grade education,
(for those who wanted to learn),
is BETTER, than, today's, advanced collage degree.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:16:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › Today's Youth

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.