Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Valvoline Oil?
Reply #15 - 03/11/15 at 04:59:25

AnalogMan wrote on 03/11/15 at 03:43:42:
[clip] And the oil was really bad. [clip]

Oil from an air cooled engine with a wet clutch will always look "bad". Doesn't mean anything really. Bad is when there's metal chunks in the oil. The only way to know is to have an oil analysis performed. Personally, I wouldn't bother on an engine that can be replaced at the cost of a used bike.

The clutch particles really make it black. On my 2T dirt bikes the transmission fluid turns from red to gray in about 2 hours of use and gets changed at 5 hours. On the 4T dirt bikes (water cooled, wet clutch) the oil gets changed every 5 hours and I usually DO find metal in the filter. And I've never blown an engine.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Valvoline Oil?
Reply #16 - 03/11/15 at 05:31:54

A magnetic oil plug will have a beard of powdered metal.. Engines wear out.
When we have Odd noises it's smart to have a look at the oil. If the metal amount is high, then finding out why there is a noise gets important.
Aluminum can add a sheen to the oil. Drain the oil on a mower that is minutes from throwing the rod,,it's all silvery..

Now, if you haven't been around the motor long enough to know what is normal Old Oil, then a slight increase would not be easy to note, but,
things rubbing and banging?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:22:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valvoline Oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.