Valvoline Oil? (Read 182 times)
AnalogMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valvoline Oil?
02/13/15 at 02:06:52

Anybody use Valvoline Oil?
I picked up some Valvoline Motorcycle Oil 10w-40.  Made for 4 stroke with "superior wet clutch protection"
Hopefully I'll have time to change the oil this weekend.  
I just picked up an 06 S40 about a month ago, and have no idea what type of oil is in there now.

Also, with this type of oil would I still need to add additives?

IMG_1791.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Valvoline Oil?
Reply #1 - 02/13/15 at 02:11:47

Might be great, but Rotella T costs$13.00/ gallon. Works great.
Love you long time

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/13/15 at 03:10:10

Well if you can trust everything you read on the internet...the Valvoline is probably OK.  However this article is almost 2 years old - so hopefully Valvoline has not changed their ZDDP content in that time.  The Valvoline is shown to have 1,100 ppm of ZDDP, Shell Rotella T has 1,200 ppm.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35836

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #3 - 02/13/15 at 09:18:34

I certainly understand that Russia is almost another galaxy.. however, as stated in the famous commercial-why pay more? Rotella is a very good engine oil..(this is not advertising of course)

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 02/13/15 at 09:34:00

Since you already have it, enjoy it. It's fine oil and will not cause harm to your machine. At the next oil change you can try Rotella. BTW, I do use Rotella in all of my motorcycles as well as my diesel tractor.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 02/13/15 at 10:55:08

Yeah, the backhoe, pickup,lawnmower all get Rotella.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/14/15 at 04:10:43

Whats the actual name of the Rotella oil? I have seen from T1 till T10000000  Cool ...The T6 is the one that says motorcycles. Is that the one you are talking about? or it can be any of the rotella oils.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/14/15 at 04:48:54

The two Rotella oils that we recommend are:

Shell Rotella T, 15W-40.  This is the most affordable oil that offers everything your engine needs to survive and run well.  

Shell Rotella T-6, 5W-40.  This is the synthetic version and most likely offers better protection.  Some folks love it and say the bike shifts smoother - some folks say the engine is noisier with it.

Cost is between $ 12-$17 a gallon for the Rotella T depending on where you shop and if you watch for sales or coupons.  Walmart, Tractor Supply, most auto stores and truck stops will have it.  The weird thing is that although you can get it in 2.5 and 5 gallon jugs - the cheapest price is generally the gallon jugs.

The Rotella T-6 is around $ 20 a gallon.

The Savage only takes about 2 quarts for an oil change - so it really is cheap to do an oil change if you shop around and find good deals on oil filters.

« Last Edit: 02/14/15 at 06:40:02 by Dave »  

IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/14/15 at 05:23:39

Dave wrote on 02/14/15 at 04:48:54:
The two Rotella oils that we recommend are:

Shell Rotella T, 15W-40.  This is the most affordable oil that offers everything your engine needs to survive and run well.  

Shell Rotella T-6, 5W-40.  This is they synthetic version and most likely offers better protection.  Some folks love it and say the bike shifts smoother - some folks say the engine is noisier with it.

Cost is between $ 12-$17 a gallon for the Rotella T depending on where you shop and if you watch for sales or coupons.  Walmart, Tractor Supply, most auto stores and truck stops will have it.  The weird thing is that although you can get it in 2.5 and 5 gallon jugs - the cheapest price is generally the gallon jugs.

The Rotella T-6 is around $ 20 a gallon.

The Savage only takes about 2 quarts for an oil change - so it really is cheap to do an oil change if you shop around and find good deals on oil filters.

Dave, I found this link on the forum where someone mentions the Redline 10W40 oil. Is that a better oil compared to the Rotella oils?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/14/15 at 06:46:19

I have no doubt the Redline 10W40 is a good oil - but at $ 50 a gallon for the Redline.......I will never know if it is better, as I will never buy any of it.

The Savage engine is basically a big lawn mower engine that revs to about 6,500 - and the engine can last 100,000 miles or more if you keep clean Rotella T and do normal maintenance.  How much better (more expensive) oil do you need?  Even folks that race expensive engines use Rotella T, it is a really good oil.

Why is the Rotella T so affordable?  Maybe because it is not a small production oil made for a specific market - folks with diesel trucks and construction equipment buy an bunch of it.....so Shell can make a lot of it and keep the production and distribution cost down (I dunno for sure).  I buy it in the gallon or 2.5 gallon sizes when it is on sale - I have bought the 5 gallon buckets a few times (it is clumsy to pour).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 02/14/15 at 07:57:14

What's the point in having an engine that runs half a million miles because I spent enough money on fancy oils to have bought 3new bikes,but the chassis,seat, forks, everything Other than the motor is old,tired and ugly?
Rotella T will keep the motor happy long enough to get the goody out of the rest of the machine.

IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/14/15 at 20:50:30

Thanks a lot for the good info. Makes a lot of sense.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 02/14/15 at 21:10:49

That's what they pay me for...

IP Logged
AnalogMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/11/15 at 03:43:42

So I just picked up a new oil filter. Couldn't find one locally when I changed my oil last. And the oil was really bad.
So now I can throw in the new oil filter, I wanted to try the all famous Shell Rotella T6 5w40!!
I'm curious, do you still need to add ZDDP additives to the Rotella T6?
I'm riding a 06 S40

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 03/11/15 at 04:22:35

AnalogMan wrote on 03/11/15 at 03:43:42:
I'm curious, do you still need to add ZDDP additives to the Rotella T6?

Because some of us are obsessive/compulsive/anal gear head folks who think we can improve on anything/everything.

You most likely will be just fine with the Shell Rotella T or Rotella T-6 just as it comes out of the jug....with 1,200 ppm of ZDDP.  Some of us like to bump that up just a bit.  I go for 1,400 ppm.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345080430

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:26:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valvoline Oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.