Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire advise please. and DONE.! (Read 126 times)
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Tire advise please. and DONE.!
02/11/15 at 17:56:07

Need new tires to replace the old IRCs on my 'new' s40.  Something a bit stickier, not high mileage.  I did read several threads which seemed to focus on higher mileage/price selections.  Not so helpful.

No Marathons please.  ME88s were the only tires ever slipped out from under my last bike & I had to swap them for a 33/99 set.  Didn't get the best mileage, but they did hang in there.  The Lazer tracked grooves badly though & not going back to them.  I guess I ride a bit more aggressive than some.

So I'm thinking something with plenty of tread pattern for rainy days and some gravel roads,  that will work good down here in HOT south TX.  Medium mileage rating, hold the road better than the stock IRCs.?  H rated might hold up better in the heat?  I can replace more frequently if the perform better.  I'm not a long distance tourer.

Just asking for advise.

Thanks.  Be well...

« Last Edit: 03/07/15 at 10:55:56 by wakosama »  

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Re: Tire advise please. SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST.
Reply #1 - 02/11/15 at 18:02:54

I have Michelin Commander II tires. I really like them. But your tastes may vary from mine. Good luck.

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tire advise please. SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST.
Reply #2 - 02/12/15 at 03:35:31

You are at a bit of a disadvantage with the Cruiser size tires....performance based tires are made in the Sport Touring  and Sport bike sizes.  The Battlax BT45 or the Pirelli Sport Demons are what I have been using on my Cafe' conversion - unfortunately they don't come in a size that fits the back of the Savage.

I did a search for the stock 140/80-15, 140/90-15 and 150/90-15, and did not find anything that I would consider a performance tire.  Most tires in that size are made for heavy V-Twin cruisers.

This is the closest thing I could find to what you are looking for, and it is a bit taller tire and should help correct the speedometer:
http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/avon-am42-venom-reinfo...

For the front I think this might be a suitable match in the same Avon brand:
http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/avon-am26-roadrider-mo...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/15017/i/avon-av71-cobra-front-tire

You really don't have much to choose from in this tire size if you are looking or a performance tire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Re: Tire advise please.
Reply #3 - 02/12/15 at 16:28:03

Thanks for the tire advise.  Found a local place that some say is good.  They have a good selection and recommend the Michelin Cdr II also.  Only charge $45 install both on the bike if I buy them there.  Comparable prices to online stores.  Think I'll take advantage this first time.  

I have another question I'll post separately.

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/12/15 at 21:13:23

If their prices are competitive with internet pricing and they'll mount 2 tires for $45 dollars you found gold there man, local stealership here wants an hour labor ($95) to mount, and lowers that by a measly 10% if you pay their ridiculous markup for the few tires they have in stock

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 02/12/15 at 21:30:09

I'm running Michelin's front and rear. Pilot Activ front and I dunno rear, I'm very happy with them.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #6 - 03/07/15 at 10:47:51

Put Michelin Cdr II on today.  Very different ride.  Just knowing they're new and quality did wonders for my riding ease.  the 140/90 rear raised the back just enough that my mirrors work right - strange.  

Looking forward to providing more good feedback.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:27:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire advise please. and DONE.!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.