Send Topic Print
Fork Work (Read 302 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Fork Work
02/11/15 at 12:42:43

Gents:

I need to replace the seals on my forks and have a couple questions.  Do I need to replace anything else other than the seals?  I read the thread were someone mentioned it was good to have some of the extra washers and so forth.  Also, I would like to have the forks a lot stiffer.  Can someone recommend a good oil to stiffen them up a bit.  I suppose the amount of oil in the clymer's is correct as well.  Thanks for your assistance.   Smiley

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Fork Work
Reply #1 - 02/11/15 at 12:58:36

The best place to start is the Tech Section Index.  Go to the Front Suspension section to find the fork information:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

When you say......you want to stiffen up the front end...you need to be a bit more specific.  Is there too much sag when you sit on the bike? - That can be fixed with more pre-load or stronger springs.  Do the forks bottom too easily? - More pre-load, stiffer springs, more than the recommended amount of oil.  Is both the compression and rebound too soft? - Thicker oil.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 02/11/15 at 13:13:16

Dave:

The one fork seal is starting to leak pretty bad so I need to fix those.
Generally speaking, I would prefer to have a stiffer front end.  They bottom out more than I would like; although, that has probably more to do with the condition on the roads.  I don't want to rebuild everything, but it does need some attention so I thought it would be a good opportunity to message it bit.  

Best regards,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/11/15 at 13:38:52

You need to remind me what you have done to your bike....is it stock, windshield, bobber, cafe, touring cruiser...how big you are.  I can't remember?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 02/11/15 at 13:47:19

The stock spring is progressively wound. In order to achieve the correct amount of preload I would suggest that you set the total sag at 35mm. If you are blowing through that value you will need to add washers between the fork cap and the spacer. This should help improve the first 1/3 of fork travel.

Adding fork oil only effects the last 1/3 of travel. The stock oil height is 75mm from the top of the tube (measured with the spring out, tube at the bottom of the stroke). This is a very high value, you can try to add an additional ounce for a total of 16 oz.

Adding thicker oil (the stock is 15w) effects rebound only and is not a way of stiffening the suspension.

Forks with progressive springs are difficult to properly tune, but sometimes small changes can get you over the line between to soft/harsh and acceptable.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 02/11/15 at 13:54:34

Here's the most recent pic; mostly stock, sort of.  I'm 180 lbs.  I have a big windshield on it for now; although, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it on.  It has Intruder rear suspension, Tkat, and a dry bag on the back seat.  Thanks.

Best regards,

P1260003.JPG

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 02/12/15 at 03:50:45

Being an old bike I suppose these will go bad eventually.  Considering I added the 12.25 rear shocks, would the angle change in the front end contribute to the failure as well?

Best regards,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/12/15 at 03:59:23

The seals are a wear item of sorts....I had one go bad on my 6 month old trials bike for no apparent reason.

You might also just have a piece of grit in the seal, you can cut a thin credit card or piece of plastic into a small flat hook, and pull it around the seal and see if it will remove the grit....sometimes it works just fine.
http://sealmate.net/

Taller shocks, your weight and the windshield may put a bit more load on the front end and make the fork springs a bit less able to hold the front end up - but it would not make too much difference in the operation of the seal.

To test the "sag" as Gary_in_NJ has recommended - but a small nylon tie around a fork tube and slide it down until it touches the seal, then sit on the bike being careful not to pull on the front brake or move around in a way that would compress the forks more than just sitting on the bike does...you may have to have someone help you hold the bike upright as both feet should be on the pegs.  Then carefully get off the bike so as not to compress the forks, and pull the forks up all the way...and measure the distance between the nylon tie and the fork seal.  That distance is the sag...and it should be near the distance that Gary suggested.  If the sag is bigger....you need to make longer spacers for the fork springs or add some washers to put more pre-load on the springs.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 02/12/15 at 04:40:10

I'll give that seale mate a try sometime today.  I'm not optimistic; although, I'll give it a go.  What kind of oil should I get assuming I will need replace the seals?  I wouldn't mind adding washers just to firm it up as well.   Is this the correct part #?

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/suz/506b36c1f870022ba8af9e61/front-damper

WASHER
51158-14100

Thanks,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/12/15 at 05:14:24

I am not sure you want to buy washers.....it sort of depends how much additional  pre-load you need.  Buying factory washers to gain an additional 1/4" or so might get a bit expensive - it might be better to make a pair of longer spacers (part number 21).

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 02/12/15 at 06:31:51

The ID of the fork tube is 33mm and the OEM spacer has an OD of 31.8mm (1.25"). Any washer with an OD of 1.25" will work fine. If you need to add more then 3 or 4 washers...it's probably best to make a new spacer. PVC piping with an OD of 1.25" would work just fine.

Any brand 15w fork oil will work fine as will Dextron ATF. If you are able to resolve the leaking fork by simply removing debris, you won't have to remove the forks from the triple clamps to set the sag or adjust the oil level. If you find that the seals need to be replaced the forks will have to be removed. This is a good opportunity to clean out the old fork oil. You'd be amazed at how dirty it gets.

Make one change at a time. Don't set the sag and add fork oil because if you don't like the result, you won't know which change to reverse. You may find that simply getting the sag correct solves all of your ride/handling issues. If however you are still blowing through the last 1/3 of stroke, then you can start to experiment with the fork oil level. As I mentioned, the LS650 oil is already very high, so just a little additional oil may make a big difference. Keep notes on what you do. This way if the forks need to be serviced in the future, you'll know exactly how much oil to fill the forks. The OEM oil is 441cc's (14.91 oz) resulting in a height of 75mm.

For reference, every well sorted fork I've every worked on has had an oil height of 120 to 130mm. Suzuki has really overfilled the LS650 forks in an effort to hide the extremely poor damping and performance of the chosen progressive rate springs.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 02/12/15 at 09:12:30

Dave & Gary:

Thanks for your assistance.  I'll get everything in line soon enough.  I did sweep out a lot more debris from under and around that seal that I would have expected.  Thanks again Smiley.

Best regards,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 02/12/15 at 09:27:38

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/12/15 at 06:31:51:
For reference, every well sorted fork I've every worked on has had an oil height of 120 to 130mm. Suzuki has really overfilled the LS650 forks in an effort to hide the extremely poor damping and performance of the chosen progressive rate springs.

Which explains the tendency to blow out the seals when you do wheelies.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind adding washers just to firm it up as well.

You already have up to 1/2" of preload.  Adding more could get real interesting.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 02/12/15 at 09:56:59

[quote author=514255544B4640424916270 link=1423687363/0#12 date=1423762058]Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/12/15 at 06:31:51:
You already have up to 1/2" of preload.  Adding more could get real interesting.

Preloading a progressive-rate spring is an crap shoot. It's the initial stroke of the progressive spring that allows for a compliant ride. Unlike a straight-rate spring, preloading a progressive makes for a harsher riding bike and does little (not nothing, but little) to gain control on the suspension. But without knowing if the suspension is properly setup, it is impossible to identify the correct replacement spring. So once the OP has confirmed that the sag is correct, he can then make an informed decision about his suspension. At 180 pounds on a well optioned bike, my intuition tells me that he needs a different set of springs.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #14 - 03/16/15 at 16:39:09

Ok, I just about got the forks torn apart.  I made the tool to that extends to the bottom of the fork with the 24mm head.  I'm waiting for the JB weld to dry before I can split them apart.

I got some spacers to stiffen up the shocks; although, I'm not sure where to put them when I go to reassemble everything.  Can someone offer some insight?  Thanks.  

Best regards,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:14:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Work

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.