Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HELP!!! S40 DIES AS SOON AS I LET GO OF CLUTCH (Read 294 times)
woo_savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

HELP!!! S40 DIES AS SOON AS I LET GO OF CLUTCH
02/11/15 at 11:40:45

I rode to work just fine... came out after an day at work.  :'( Now I'm on the side of the road. It won't keep running as soon as i let go of the clutch. Any ideas? :'(

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: HELP!!! S40 DIES AS SOON AS I LET GO OF CLUTCH
Reply #1 - 02/11/15 at 12:31:43

Kick stand up? there's a kill switch connected to the kickstand, and the engine will not run in gear if the stand isn't all the way up, or the switch is bad

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/11/15 at 12:36:47

Well....since I have not had the side stand safety on my bike for a while...I forget exactly how it works.  I believe the side stand safety kills the engine if it sees that the neutral light goes out (you put it in gear)...while the sidestand is still down.  There is a safety switch that often goes bad at the sidestand...you can short circuit the connector that is located on the left side of the frame, near the battery box, behind the left side frame cover.  I don't believe it is connected to the clutch safety switch however - but to the neutral light.

I believe the clutch safety switch is tied to the starter circuit - and won't let you engage the electric starter when the bike is in gear...unless you first pull in the clutch.  "IF" you do find that the engine dies when you let out the clutch - you might be able to get home by taking the wires off the clutch switch at the handlebars, and putting a piece of wire or paper clip between the terminals...being careful not to let the wire touch the grounded handlebars (tape up any exposed wire or paper clip).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/11/15 at 13:10:19

right dave, kickstand is tied to the neutral safety.  
put it in gear with the ks down and it'll die.
clutch safety only allows the starter to operate.

If it dies everytime you let out the clutch, and it's not because of a too low a throttle adjustment or a bad clutch adjustment, then it's electrical.  bypass the safety and limp home for further investigation.

WWW   IP Logged
woo_savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/11/15 at 19:33:53

So after sitting for about an hour, I had my dad show up with his pick up truck to drag me home. I fired it up for him to hear... It started. I gave it a handful of throttle and it POPPED and SPUTTERED and backfired and then idled with the clutch released. My dad thought that maybe there was water in the carb... You guys think that could be?

It was very low on oil and I threw a quart in just to be sure...

So i have it home now. I will tear into it tomorrow after work. I hope its nothing too serious...

Embarrassed

Any and all advice welcomed, you guys are the real experts.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/11/15 at 22:22:09

Drain the gas, empty the carb bowl, catch the gas in a clear cup from the carb. Study it, put a little on a rag see how it burns.
Check the oil level.
If the gas swap does not work, check the petcock.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
woo_savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/15/15 at 14:18:49

So here is an update. I checked for spark by pulling out the spark plug and sitting it on the engine block while it cranked... I got spark.
I took the carb off and opened it up and cleaned it well...

It runs. It idles without holding the clutch in.
It does die when I rock it side to side. But its doing more than itwas 2 days ago...
got the petcock on prime right now but it was running in just the on position.
Thinking about draining the tank and taking out the petcock and maybe cleaning it a bit with some carb cleaner to make sure there isnt any dirt or grime blocking it...

What do you guys think?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 02/15/15 at 15:15:56

Think you need to find where that stand switch connector is...
If I recall there have been times when the one under the tank works its way loose and causes the problem you are having.
Might want to do the "whole" petcock check in the tech section, just to be sure and rule it out of the picture.
Check the stand switch though.... at the stand, and follow the wires to make sure there is no short.... I hope one of the fellas can tell you which plug under the tank to check.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
woo_savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/16/15 at 15:57:31

Latest update: Runs. In neutral I can give it all the throttle I want and it sounds fine. I will run as ling as I let it.
I kick it in gear and try to ride off, it dies.

Any ideas?

IP Logged
woo_savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/16/15 at 16:02:17

Latest update: Runs. In neutral I can give it all the throttle I want and it sounds fine. I will run as ling as I let it.
I kick it in gear and try to ride off, it dies.

Any ideas?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 02/16/15 at 16:09:10

Does it die just as soon is it goes into gear....while your hand is still holding the clutch all the way to the handlebar?

Have you been ignoring the advice about checking or bypassing the kick stand safety switch?  If the switch is faulty and is telling the bike that the kickstand is still down - it will kill the engine so that you don't ride off with the kickstand down.

IP Logged
woo_savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/16/15 at 16:14:37

It doesn't die as soon as it goes into gear. And it doesn't die as soon as I let out the clutch either. But as soon as I give it some throttle, it cuts out and then it wont start right back up...  

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 02/16/15 at 17:35:48

So will the bike move under it's own power without opening the throttle?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
woo_savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/16/15 at 17:52:52

Yes it does, just not far. Got maybe half a block...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 02/17/15 at 04:38:36

You may have a fuel flow problem to the float bowl (did you install an inline fuel filter?). Or maybe the petcock is just not flowing enough fuel.  Have you ever tried to see how quickly fuel will flow out of the petcock or out of the float bowl drain?

If you have a carb with a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl, you can attach a clear hose to the bottom of the carb and see where the fuel level is.  If you can connect a hose securely so it won't fall off and run gas everywhere, you might try riding it with the hose attached so you can see where the fuel level is when the bike dies.  If the bike dies and the fuel level is very low and then slowly rises once the bike is stopped...then it is a fuel flow issue.

Have you ever removed the float valve seat and cleaned the small filter that is on top of the brass seat fitting?

Your fuel level should look like this:

IMG_0495_001.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:18:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP!!! S40 DIES AS SOON AS I LET GO OF CLUTCH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.