Send Topic Print
Plasti-dip and go pro (Read 196 times)
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Plasti-dip and go pro
02/10/15 at 18:02:54

Has anyone used plasti dip on their bike? I was thinking of plasti dipping my rims black on the bike and maybe a few chrome pieces on the bike. I can't seem to find anything on here about plasti dip.

Also I got a hero 3+ gopro for christmas this year for fly fishing, the lobster diving trip this summer, and of course for riding my motorcycle. I have a handlebar mount that I can use on my road bike and the motorcycle handlebars. I might put a mount onto my helmet. I have a chest mount also. I was wondering if anyone else uses a gopro when they ride. I am thinking of adding epoxy to the small sticky mount for extra support and putting it on the bike in a low place. Maybe opposite side of the belt. On what I believe is the "swing arm" on the right side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Smiley

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Plasti-dip and go pro
Reply #1 - 02/10/15 at 18:25:22

Big singles vibrate a lot. A solid mount might not give you the best picture. Is there some kind of way to mount it to the bike but still have some sort shock absorption?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 02/10/15 at 19:46:50

^what Kris said...
I have a similar camera (a really cheap version though) and have found that mounting on the savage is a pain.
Vibrations cause a wavering video..... a helmet mount is the best and even then the shocks are not the best in the world so if the roads are crappy, your video will be crappy.
If you had a spring mounted shock system for the camera or could make one, that would be the best.
I realize that go-pro has a "anti shake" feature, so you will probably have to experiment with it... keep us posted Smiley

Oh, on the plastidip... I did a tourpack with plastidip...it turned out ok, but tends to peel when chipped... I just use a little of the plastidip on a brush to "touch up"...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/10/15 at 21:07:26

+1... the others said...  

a.   plastidip will cushion small parts,... it won't adhere well enough to cover a rim... especially over chrome....

b... the human neck is a great shock absorber... smoothest video...
Head is best,.. body second,.. then, sprung hard mount, and worst is unsprung motorcycle bits...
The swingarm is unsprung... absolute worst place to mount a cam...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/11/15 at 04:46:40

When I painted my swing arm with 2 stage glossy black paint, I learned that it does not hold up well where the tire throws crap onto the cross brace at the front edge of the tire.  To correct this I taped off the area and sprayed black Plasti-Dip in that area.  Based on old_riders post about painting his big box with it....I knew that the stuff does not like the use of masking tape and when you pull off the tape the Plastic-Dip comes off with it.  The cure is to spray on the Plasti-Dip in a thick layer, then immediately pull off the tape before the Plasti-Dip can begin to dry and develop any strength.

The Plasti-Dip is holding up well on the swing arm cross brace - and can be pulled off and reapplied easily when it becomes funky.

If you spray big things like fuel tanks or fenders....it is a git hard to get an even looking finish...and it is not horribly durable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #5 - 02/11/15 at 11:29:20

thanks for all the tips! i might just try the belt guard with the plasti dip. i wanted to take off the belt guard,but my dad thought it might be a bad idea

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 02/11/15 at 15:51:17

The belt guard keeps a lot of crap out of your belt to protect the belt.  It's not only there to keep your or someone else's leg out of the belt.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #7 - 03/08/15 at 16:36:02

i shale leave the belt guard haha. No one else rides on the back. I dont want to risk anyone elses life. I dont trust myself with someone on the motorcycle.

IP Logged
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/15/15 at 06:55:59

actually plasti-dip is quiet durable when applied correctly. It takes several coats starting light and getting heavier as you go. I did my mean streak a couple of months ago and it is still holding up like a champ. I have a friend that did his complete car 2 years ago and its still going strong. My mean streak has 6 coats of flat black base and 7 coats of chameleon green/blue. The more coats you apply the easier it will be to remove it (learned that the hard way with my jetta). I also run a gopro 3 and most of the vibration can be taken out when using the pro-tune editing software it came with.

this color is very hard to get a good picture of.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 03/15/15 at 21:12:51

I think putting a thick, heavy coating on a wheel will cause balance problems. There is a spray available for wheels that lasts about six months or so. It is made for car wheels, though. Saw it on All Girls  Garage. Looked good on wheels, but not nearly durable enough for me.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
atomikchicken
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/15/15 at 22:28:57

How much weight does Plasti Dip add to your car?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVeMU-o8Lsk

Plasti Dip Motorcycle Rims
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2d0-wIECc

Dip Your Car
https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:27:02