Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wife's new (to her) S40-questions on desired Mods (Read 109 times)
Ogre
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wife's new (to her) S40-questions on desired Mods
02/09/15 at 10:40:24

My wife and I recently purchased her a 2005 S40.  That being said, she would like to have some mods done.  

1.  She would like floorboards, she likes the feel of boards over pegs.
2. She would like a heel/toe shifter to facilitate the use of those floor boards with her slightly thicker than normal boots.  

Is there a "better" set of boards that will work and is there either an after market shifter of a "mod" to the standard shifter that I could do or have done to fit her requests?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Wife's new (to her) S40-questions on desired M
Reply #1 - 02/09/15 at 11:25:18

You are going to have to adapt some floor board made for Harley's, several members have done it before.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1409879522/0#0

Not sure anyone has done a shifter yet.....you may be the first.

Funny how it is whatever you get used to.  I learned to ride on a dirt bike.....and the toe shifter just comes natural to me.  The few times I have ridden a bike with floorboards I feel strange.  I am not used to having to lift my foot up to use the brake....that pedal is supposed to right there under my toe!  Same for the heel shifter.....just doesn't work for me as my toe is used to doing all the work!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ogre
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/09/15 at 18:11:45

I honestly felt the same when I got my C50.  But now I am on my C90 and refuse to have a bike without boards as MY ride.  I started on a Honda V65 back in 85, then a VS700 intruder both had pegs.  I love my boards.  Her favorite boots are a bit thick to go between the peg and the shifter.  Thanks for the info....if I do the heel/toe shifter I will be sure to post my information.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/10/15 at 03:24:10

One thing to be a bit careful with - is how hard she will "stomp" on the shifter with her oversize boots.  The shift rod between the foot pedal and the shaft into the engine is a bit thin, and it can bend and break.  We have not had many complaints in the last year or so - but a couple of years ago it seemed like a lot of folks were bending that rod.  Most of the problems come from folks that start the bike, pull in the clutch, and then stomp on the shift pedal (Harley Style) to get the bike in gear.  Sometimes the gears are just not lined up right when at a standstill....and a little rock forward or back is needed to get the cogs lined up so the bike will go into first gear.  Stomping only causes the external shift rod to bend....a gentle touch with your toe is much easier on the bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 02/10/15 at 03:43:16

You could adjust the shifter up by loosening the lock nuts and turning the rod.
And if that isn't enough, you can loosen the bolt on the shaft, pull the base off and move it up a tooth or two, put it back on, then adjust the rod.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Ogre
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/10/15 at 07:51:56

Dave wrote on 02/10/15 at 03:24:10:
One thing to be a bit careful with - is how hard she will "stomp" on the shifter with her oversize boots.  The shift rod between the foot pedal and the shaft into the engine is a bit thin, and it can bend and break.  We have not had many complaints in the last year or so - but a couple of years ago it seemed like a lot of folks were bending that rod.  Most of the problems come from folks that start the bike, pull in the clutch, and then stomp on the shift pedal (Harley Style) to get the bike in gear.  Sometimes the gears are just not lined up right when at a standstill....and a little rock forward or back is needed to get the cogs lined up so the bike will go into first gear.  Stomping only causes the external shift rod to bend....a gentle touch with your toe is much easier on the bike.
From her time with her GZ250 and Honda VLX she already does rock a bike when starting.  Thanks though

IP Logged
Ogre
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/10/15 at 07:53:36

old_rider wrote on 02/10/15 at 03:43:16:
You could adjust the shifter up by loosening the lock nuts and turning the rod.
And if that isn't enough, you can loosen the bolt on the shaft, pull the base off and move it up a tooth or two, put it back on, then adjust the rod.

Adjusting is an option but that raises issues with down shifting and not being able to keep her feet firmly planted on the pegs/boards (if installed)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/10/15 at 08:45:51

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:17:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wife's new (to her) S40-questions on desired Mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.