hole in battery (Read 61 times)
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
hole in battery
02/09/15 at 08:51:04

in General itch me to recharge the battery during the winter. I dismantled and examined: and there is a hole was wiped... just because the gel battery i can't saw it before .

and now the question: how to close this trouble? and why is it bad?(hole like end-to-end) and may to drip inside the electrolyte - or not?

in General, all interested.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: hole in battery
Reply #1 - 02/09/15 at 08:57:24

The gell may have kept the electrolyte from leaking out.

If the battery still works, I would epoxy the hole closed and fix whatever it was that allowed the battery to move around and get a hole in it....then keep using the battery until it stops.

If you are planning any long trips in the Russian wilderness....maybe it is time to buy a spare battery that does not yet have the acid placed in the battery (dry)...and keep it in your saddlebag/back pack for an emergency.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #2 - 02/09/15 at 09:32:08

If the battery was discharged and frozen when you went to charge it there is a good chance the case split from being charged while frozen.

I have done that with gel cell batteries and found out that it is best to charge them at room temperature.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 02/09/15 at 09:36:00

This is true on any battery, gel or water based.

If you store your bike outside in freezing weather, remove the battery if possible and leave it set inside at least 24 hours before charging.

But at least trickle charge it, if you cannot get it inside after spending time out in the freezing cold.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 02/09/15 at 19:23:39

buy a new battery!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 02/09/15 at 19:24:12

thumperclone wrote on 02/09/15 at 19:23:39:
buy a new battery!!

you over charged

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #6 - 02/10/15 at 00:37:39

thanks guys. of course to buy a new battery-it is easier and safer. but the old battery pity-she was only one year. I just have not had experience with gel batteries. I'll try to drop a few drops of water into the hole, then push the battery in a warm place, will eliminate the hole with epoxy and will recharge the battery.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/10/15 at 03:38:38

I will tell you one thing I have learned about the AGM or glass matt sealed batteries.....they give you no warning when they are going to fail.  I was riding my 2000 Honda ST1100 last year, I bought the bike used and the battery was working fine.  About 6 months after buying the bike I rode up to the hardware store, it fired right up like usual and the ride was about 5 miles.  I left the hardware store and rode about a mile down the street to fill up the fuel tank.  When I went to start the bike...nothing.  When I turned the key on you could just barely see the neutral light glow....barely.  I took the Tupperware off and checked all the fuses and the battery connections and everything was fine.  I got a jump to the battery from a car (make sure the car is never running when jumping a motorcycle from a car as it can ruin the charging circuit on the motorcycle).  Then I rode for 30 minutes to try and charge the battery...and when I got home and shut the bike off...the battery was dead.  I then tried to charge it without success.

It turned out that it was the original Yuasa battery from the Honda factory and was 14 years old!  The dealer told me the replacement battery would never last as long as the original battery, and others have told me to be sure to get a Japanese made battery if I wanted to get the battery to last as long as possible.

So....never assume that just because the battery worked fine yesterday it should work today - the AGM batteries can go bad in a 1 mile trip between the hardware store and gas station...it did for me!  There was absolutely no warning previously...the bike always started just fine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:22:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hole in battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.