Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trailer-ed the S-40 home (Read 254 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Trailer-ed the S-40 home
02/09/15 at 08:39:36

Had to trailer the S-40 home yesterday . Smiley

Had the idea to loosen up the S-40 and charge the battery yesterday by riding to the dollar store.   Started out innocent enough .   We'll I saw our local sheriff (good feller, Mark) on his way in - as I came out and started to ask him about some advice  I'd given my 17 yr-old son.  

Our local community College has a "Criminal Justice" program and my son thinks  "Cyber-cop" are in our future.  I told him "Get into Law enforcement"  first , as in get a pay check rolling you way first.  Wink  

I knew I'd messed up when I shuffled it off and went on out.  I had left the fuel switch on "Prime" the whole time.   Yea !  It was flooded.! Embarrassed , battery ran low quickly , etc.

So I ended up bumming a ride back to the house with the sheriff to get the trailer.   Turned out that collage program is where we get our deputes from (three of them last year).  Mark had some really good ideas and was glad to share them.  

But I wonder ???  
If I'd spoke when I first had the though too ...  Huh ...  Would the float have not stuck ?

« Last Edit: 02/09/15 at 12:55:15 by Dave »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Trailer-ed the S-40 home
Reply #1 - 02/09/15 at 08:51:42

Now this is one of the few times that I might be OK with trying Seafoam! Grin

The bike has sat a few months with pump gas in it, in an unheated garage......might just get by with a battery charge and a slug of fuel system cleaner.

What in the world are you still doing with the stock vacuum petcock on that bike?  With the Raptor petcock you would have turned it to "OFF" on the way up your drive the last time you rode it, and run the float bowl out of fuel before putting the bike away for an extended stay.....well maybe you would have. Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 02/09/15 at 19:57:19

I know your right  Roll Eyes

so

Which one do I get ?  Raptor petcock  Last time I had to "Mod" it so there must be more than one Raptor ? Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/10/15 at 03:09:50

Go to the Yamaha Dealer and ask for this part number:

Yamaha 5LP-24500-01-00

Or go to Ron Ayers or a similar online store and get the same number.  Great deal at the moment for some reason.....just $ 19.05.

http://www.ronayers.com/Search.aspx?k=5LP-24500-01

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 02/10/15 at 17:38:30

I've got jets (145/45) standard breather  , and a new raptor petcock on the way to me now.  When they all get here I'll have the carb off and be looking at the bar/float pivot point . Huh    
Its time to check valves and change oil too.   April will be here in no time !  Smiley

Yea , it a little lean but If it don't work out , thats Ok its easy to change !  Wink

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/11/15 at 03:32:14

When you install your new jets, start the bike and get it warmed up.  Then adjust the idle speed just a tad lower than normal.  Then adjust the idle fuel screw...turn it in until you hear the speed start to drop a bit...then turn it out until you hear the the engine smooth out and the rpm's increase just a bit.  If you have to turn the screw out more than 2.5 turns....or if you can turn the screw all the way out and the engine idle doesn't change - they put the #50 back in and try again.  Mikuni claims that the correct pilot jet size is the one that will result in the smoothest running at 1.5  turns out on the idle mixture screw.  Because of the tendency of the big single to pop and bang when you close the throttle, it is best to have the pilot jet a bit too rich rather than a bit too lean.  If you can turn the idle mixture screw all the way in and the engine still runs....then the pilot jet is too big.  (There is a bypass circuit around the idle fuel screw that will still allow fuel flow even when the screw is all the way in.....the idle mixture screw is the "fine adjustment".  Too big of a pilot jet and the bypass circuit allows enough fuel for the engine to run even with the idle fuel screw turned all the way in).  Then set the idle speed back up to the recommended 1,000-1,100 rpm.

Once you have the pilot jet sized correctly, take the bike out for a full throttle run.  In a high gear with the throttle wide open....pay attention to the way the bike feels.  If the bike pulls strong - but feels like it speeds up a bit as you roll off the throttle, then the pilot jet is too big (that won't happen with a #145).  If the engine feels like it is surging and accelerating a bit unevenly...the jet is too small.  Another good way to test is to find a straight section of road, and uphill is good as it takes longer to accelerate....and find a telephone pole or sign as a landmark.  In high gear at 40 mph roll on full throttle as you pass the sign and accelerate to another landmark down the road and note your speed.  Then put in the next larger size main jet and repeat the test...continue going to larger main jets until the bike actually gets slower, accelerates more when you roll off the throttle, or you hear the bike blubbering as if the choke was on.  When you find the jet that provides the fastest speed...that is the best jet for performance, and for best mileage you may be able to back off one jet size and still be OK.  Maximum efficiency is obtained at 14.7 pounds of air for each pound of fuel - while maximum power is obtained at around 12.5 pounds of air for each pound of fuel...once you get beyond 13 pounds of fuel per pound of air the engine is too rich and the power begins to drop off.  That explains why you can jet for power...then drop a jet size for economy and still not be too lean.

Finally the adjustment of the slide needle.  When you first start to open the throttle beyond an idle, the slide begins to raise the tapered needle and provide fuel flow.  With the stock white spacer on top of the needle the engine can run too lean at low throttle settings.  My bike had a very noticeable surge when you would roll on the throttle and ride away gently.  I had done the 3 washer replacement for the white spacer, and I tried removing a washer and I ended up with only 2 washers and the surge was gone.  I was then able to drop the main jet size one size and the bike ran great.

My bike had the best performance and mileage with a #50 pilot, #150 main, and 2 washers on top of the slide needle.

Here is a video of how to adjust the idle mixture screw.  Once you have backed the screw out 3 turns - it no longer provides any additional flow as the needle is no longer restricting the flow and the hole in the carb is completely open.  The screw ideally should be out 1.5 - 2.0 turns at the best idle - if the screw is in farther the pilot jet is too big, and if the screw is out farther than 2 turns the pilot jet is too small.  I have attached an image that shows the idle circuit....and you can see the screw only controls the fuel flow out the second hole - the other hole that bypasses the mixture screw is only adjustable by changing the size of the pilot jet.

This is a long - but very good video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

« Last Edit: 02/11/15 at 06:09:23 by Dave »  

CVCarbFlow_005.jpg

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 02/24/15 at 19:17:25

Got the Raptor valve today .    To my surprise there is an adjustment on the main tank or you might say adjustment for the reserve volume .   Either way ya put it  ...  

Anybody  have an idea of what the reserve is with the extra tube completely removed ?    That would be the clear tube on the long stem.

It looks like a long way from the top of the long one to the base of reserve. !  Huh

0224152105-00.jpg

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 02/24/15 at 19:27:53

MM,

There is a very flimsy fine mesh tube that filters the rust flakes out of the gas on each of the two legs on a Raptor.

There is a piece of clear shipping protector tubing over the longer leg's flimsy mesh to keep it from getting crushed in shipment.  

You remove the clear shipping protector tubing before installing the thing.   (or you did when mine was new)

Does that point you straight?   Do you see the mesh on the long leg as a separate thing from the clear shipping cover tube?

There is a chance they have changed it all up into something different, but you'll need to tell us that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 02/24/15 at 20:14:22

Thanks for the tip OF ,  But the Idea I was getting at is :  the "protector tube" thing could also function as an adjustment , to make the long tube (regular tank) longer-thus less fuel ... or ... (slide it down) and make the reserve smaller.  

So the question is : Huh

how much is the reserve if the "protector tube" is completely  removed ?   Anybody know ?

I'd like to have the .7 of the 2.7 Gal. be reserve .  or close to it.  Smiley

Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 02/24/15 at 20:26:35

I could have answered that for you a couple weeks ago, as I ran mine to reserve, then refueled about 20 miles later
I remember thinking I might get 40-50 miles on reserve after fueling, based on how much gas it took, but I don't remember how many gallons it was, sorry

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 02/24/15 at 20:55:17

say Art ,   You think you might have almost a whole gallon in reserve , with the tube completely removed. ?   Huh

Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 02/24/15 at 21:30:10

it's a rough guesstimate, based on how much gas it took, but I may be off there, I'll try to find the gas receipt but I probably lost it already

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 02/25/15 at 00:32:02

I get about 20-25 miles on the reserve... I was at like 23 and it was spitting and sputtering ....
And that was AFTER I put in on reserve at 87 miles...
Ok, I had been gunning it off and on for a bit at 65 miles per hour, showing off with a friend who had a big ol' Harley.

So if I was to play it cool, I think I could have pulled off about 95 miles before reserve and 25 miles after.....

I am going to my buddies house in Alabama this weekend and I will clock the miles and mileage... from my house in mary esther to Bonifay is about 100 miles (by car, truck and gps) and then to his house is another 40 miles.
Most is interstate (first 100 miles), then north is the little back roads....at 55mph....
I should have a good blueprint by next week... Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 02/25/15 at 03:19:42

Don't leave that clear tube on there....I am not sure the plastic is fuel proof.

If you want to make your "MAIN" fuel stem longer....cut the brass tube and either solder on an extension - or get some real fuel tubing like TYGON that fits the brass tube tightly and use it to extend the tube.

When I mounted my Raptor, I checked the volumes of each petcock and found:

The reserve provided by the Factory Petcock is larger than the reserve provided by the Raptor.  The difference is caused by the height of the tube that provides flow to the ON position.  This could be corrected by removing the filter and extending the height of the tube on the Raptor - which may be a subject of a future tech article.  I turned each petcock to ON and let the fuel run out - then switched the petcock to RES and let the fuel run out and measured what was in the bottle.  The stock petcock provides 78 oz of fuel, while the Raptor provides 60 oz of fuel on RESERVE - this is whithout shaking the bike to get any remaining fuel out of the right side of the tank and you may get more when actually riding.  If you got 55 MPG on your bike the stock petcock provides 33.5 miles of reserve and the Raptor provides 25.7 miles of reserve.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 02/25/15 at 08:39:48

That's Good Dave !  Smiley

So the Raptor equates to about :   2.2 on regular tank
                                                  0.5 on reserve
                                              -----------
                                                  2.7 total

So its "off with the tube" (soon as the shop un-thaws)  Grin

Driving conservatory I should get 100+ miles before reserve ,  I normally have a 20 oz bottle of gas in my lower saddle bag "Just in case"  one of us needs it Wink.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:20:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Trailer-ed the S-40 home

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.