image_205.jpg
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: re positioning carb
Reply #16 - 02/09/15 at 09:55:37

Not a flooded lead-acid battery, but a gel or AGM batteries don't have a specific "up" installation orientation.

The bomb looks interesting. What is the approximate diameter?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/09/15 at 10:02:39

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/09/15 at 09:55:37:
Not a flooded lead-acid battery, but a gel or AGM batteries don't have a specific "up" installation orientation.

The bomb looks interesting. What is the approximate diameter?

I would say around 5-6" diameter approx. And the battery I have is a Big Crank battery. It says NON-SPILLABLE.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #18 - 02/09/15 at 10:12:56

The problem with the bomb is that there's no convenient way to to gain access to the inside to mount a K&N or similar filter. I think you'd need two openings;

1. For the carb inlet. That would need to be about 1-3/4".
2. For airlet. Given the constraints of the shape of the bomb I think you'd need to remove the lower 1/3 of the tank to have enough room to inset a small K&N filter.

IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/09/15 at 10:30:37

That kinda sounds like im not gona have a "bomb" looking tank anymore with all that cutting. How about moving the battery? Will that give it more room?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #20 - 02/09/15 at 10:58:56

The Big Crank battery is an AGM battery that is Sealed, Leakproof, and Spillproof so it can be mounted in any orientation.

As far as the oil tank as air filter box concept, it's just gonna be difficult with a sphere. An old school oil tank is really a perfect hiding spot for an airbox. But it looks like you already have the hardware in hand (literally).

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #21 - 02/09/15 at 13:25:56

If you can figure a way to mount that battery on the muffler bracket, you can open up that whole area where the batter & air box currently are so that you can drop that bomb in there...  Cool

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1404924608/1#1

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/09/15 at 17:09:15

I think thats what Im going to end up doing. Figuring out a way to place the battery somewhere else and see how much space I have to work on the carb filter. If not I will just go for the stock filter. I will check tomorrow and see how much space I got.

IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/10/15 at 05:33:38

Dave, I am still having trouble getting my bike to run over 65. I took it to a seemingly knowledgeable Suzuki mechanic (40 years experience) at a local shop and asked him to go over my jetting and float settings. He said he wouldn't touch it until I re-installed the stock air box. He swears the bike will not run well with a pod or round K&N. But my bike ran poorly before I removed the airbox and added a Dyna muffler, white spacer mod, etc. But this gives ride to a question: How do all those Ryca kits run with a K&N or a cone???
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with a California bike and has "desmogged" it. Ride Safely!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 02/10/15 at 05:45:35

49Mack:

If your bike won't go over 65, there is something wrong with it.  It must not be making the normal amount of HP for a stock bike.  It could be lots of things, and it needs to be sorted out.  The slide in the carb could be sticking, the fuel flow could be limited - if you have the stock vacuum petcock and a different air filter....or the diaphragm is getting stiff or leaky, the fuel flow through the petcock could be too low.  Some cone air filters block the hole at the top of the inlet to the carb and make the bike run weird...the rubber has to be trimmed away from the carb inlet to allow air to flow into that hole at the top of the inlet.  Your engine could be low on compression, the cam/rockers could be worn and you may not be getting the valve lift or duration you should have.

At this point we don't know enough about your bike to help with a diagnosis.  Has your bike ever run well?  Did you buy it already modified and the lack of performance came with the bike when you bought it?  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:21:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › re positioning carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.