Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
re positioning carb (Read 224 times)
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

re positioning carb
02/08/15 at 20:04:18

I have seen some bobbers with a carb cone filter showing to the side instead of the center/inside position. How is that done? I appreciate the input as always!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: re positioning carb
Reply #1 - 02/08/15 at 21:08:25

Some use a 90, some use a T, and hang 2 filters. You're gonna hafta get creative..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/08/15 at 21:14:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/08/15 at 21:08:25:
Some use a 90, some use a T, and hang 2 filters. You're gonna hafta get creative..

What difference does it make if you use a T or just a 90

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 02/08/15 at 21:18:31

A 90 uses 1 filter, a T uses 2,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/08/15 at 21:21:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/08/15 at 21:18:31:
A 90 uses 1 filter, a T uses 2,,

lol i meant, difference in terms of performance  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 02/08/15 at 23:47:40

IMO, Getting rid of the stock filter is a bad idea performance wise.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/09/15 at 04:00:01

Adding a cone filter most likely doesn't do much of anything to increase performance. If you are buying a small one that fits between the battery box and carb....it most likely will have less filter area than the stock filter, and it creates turbulence in the intake tract.  A nice straight section of tubing leading up to the carb works better.....and the stock system has rubber tube that serves that purpose pretty well.  It you were to leave the rubber tube in place and install a higher flow filter in place of the stock one....well you might see a marginal change.  The CV carb, cylinder head, low compression piston, mild cam timing, restrictive exhaust and stock muffler don't really provide for much performance.

The best bang for you dollars and labor is to re-jet the carb, and install a DYNA muffler.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 02/09/15 at 04:56:20

Dave laid it all out. And,if you'll do some research on intake theory and step back and apply what you already know from being alive,,  IF the volume between filter element and carb is equal to or greater than the volume of the cylinder, then the piston doesn't hafta drag all the air through a filter, because it's already through it, now, carrying that idea further, a guy Could tune an intake for an RPM range,, it'd be weird looking, but it should work. I noticed a box built into the air tube that feeds the air filter on a car the other day,   I'm sure that they have a good reason for including it.

IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/09/15 at 05:49:11

Dave wrote on 02/09/15 at 04:00:01:
Adding a cone filter most likely doesn't do much of anything to increase performance. If you are buying a small one that fits between the battery box and carb....it most likely will have less filter area than the stock filter, and it creates turbulence in the intake tract.  A nice straight section of tubing leading up to the carb works better.....and the stock system has rubber tube that serves that purpose pretty well.  It you were to leave the rubber tube in place and install a higher flow filter in place of the stock one....well you might see a marginal change.  The CV carb, cylinder head, low compression piston, mild cam timing, restrictive exhaust and stock muffler don't really provide for much performance.

The best bang for you dollars and labor is to re-jet the carb, and install a DYNA muffler.

Dave, my whole idea besides keeping a good performance on my bike is to have the look i want for the bike and not worry about the performance of it.

This is what im going for. I want to get rid of the side panels and have sides open and fit a small oil tank (this is for the looks of the bike).

NOW, performance wise. For me to put the oil tank i need to get rid of the air box, so that means I would need a cone filter for my carb. Is there ANY way I could keep the performance of the stock filter with only using a cone filter? MAYBE using a bigger filter and modifying the chasis a bit? or maybe using a longer tube between the cone and the carb?

I have a Dyna muffler ready to mount but I am still working on certain parts and the frame before I send the frame to powder coat. I just want to have everything situated before I move forward with this project bike.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/09/15 at 06:02:07

Mount the filter on the end of the rubber tube that is currently on the bike and keep as long of an inlet between the carb inlet and filter as possible, and the filter as large as possible.  The filter would be up under the seat a bit.....unless you are installing a small solo seat down on the frame, and the you would have to drop the filter down a bit.

I was only able to keep about half of the rubber tube, as I have a really long foam filter on mine.  I do have side panels however....and then everything is hidden from view.

I was at a bike show on Saturday night in Cincinnati.  There were a lot of interesting bikes there - but it was obvious that a lot of them are barely able to be ridden....and were just done for looks and performance and comfort meant little.  A few of them had really low seats, really high footpegs, and the handlebars waaaay out front......it was no surprise that the tires still had the molding nubs on them.

IMG_0831_006.JPG

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 02/09/15 at 06:24:58

Jorge,

Since the oil tank won't be functional, why not convert it into an airbox. You could conceal the piping on top of the tank where it can't be seen because it's obstructed by the seat, and place the air inlet opening on the bottom of the tank.

Then you would have something that looks cool and is very functional.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/09/15 at 07:47:20

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/09/15 at 06:24:58:
Jorge,

Since the oil tank won't be functional, why not convert it into an airbox. You could conceal the piping on top of the tank where it can't be seen because it's obstructed by the seat, and place the air inlet opening on the bottom of the tank.

Then you would have something that looks cool and is very functional.

That sounds cool. How would something like that would be done? What are the things i would have to take in consideration to make it functional?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #12 - 02/09/15 at 08:57:00

Post a photo of the tank you want to use and I'm sure the ideas will flow...

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 02/09/15 at 09:21:07

The old Honda S90 and a few other bikes used a round cylinder looking air cleaner.  One half was the filter, and the other had allowed the air to flow in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-S90-AIR-CLEANER-FILTER-HOUSING-S-CL-90-64-69-17...

Obviously the air flow of a 90cc engine is not adequate for a 650 - but is does show how they did it.  I am not sure if they used a similar system on the larger bikes back then....but at the time Honda didn't make anything more than a 450cc bike.

« Last Edit: 02/09/15 at 10:24:08 by Dave »  

IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/09/15 at 09:43:07

The oil tank i have is not a cylinder, its a round tank that looks like those ACME bombs. Is there a way to place the battery laying flat instead of standing up? And use the extra space?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:27:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › re positioning carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.