Send Topic Print
Shock adjustment (Read 81 times)
hokie181
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shock adjustment
02/08/15 at 14:54:24

I have a 2005 S40 with 12000 miles. I am trying to check adjustment on rear shocks and cannot figure what setting 1-5 I am at now. When I look in the hole I don't see a number and can't find any markings to indicate setting. Also, left side hole is lined up with the rear tire so I can't see in that hole. Any assistance appreciated.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Shock adjustment
Reply #1 - 02/08/15 at 17:10:23

Well,.. you can turn it 'till you hit the low setting, then count the notches forward,..(lower setting direction turns much easier than to the higher ones)...
... or,.. you can lay down flat on yer' back and look up into the bottom of the shock... you can see the notches up there...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/08/15 at 17:33:01

You want it softer or firmer?
What do you weigh?
How do you ride?
Why do you want to adjust your shocks?

Have you checked out the cam chain tensioner?
Is it stock?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hokie181
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/08/15 at 18:23:59

That works, I'm on the 4th one so maybe up one more. Justin I weigh 210, have done the versy,raptor, and seat mods. I went over a hole riding today and it felt like it bottomed out so I was wondering if I should adjust . I bought used and have only put about 1000 miles on it, planning  to ride more this year. Thank you both for responses.  Also will try and avoid holes.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 02/08/15 at 19:16:35

Quote:
Also will try and avoid holes.

That's the best plan. Setting the preload all the way to 5 is only going to help a a bit. Unfortunately the stock shocks aren't very good, and they have very limited travel.  Sad

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 02/08/15 at 21:13:07

Well,you want to set it tighter.. jacking up to get the rear wheel off the ground may help. Spin the collar to press harder on the spring, the tool needs to fit nicely in the hole and oil is never a bad idea. CAm chain tensioner is still a question.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/09/15 at 04:17:30

The stock shocks only have about 1.5 inches of travel.  I only weigh 150 and I can remember hitting a pothole and bottoming out the suspension - and my neck and back got that "electrical jolt" sensation as my spine compressed.

You might want to investigate getting some of the 800 Intruder take off shocks for a cheap fix.  The stock shocks are 10.5" I believe, the Intruder shocks are 12.25" so it raises the back up 1-3/4.  The bike will have a better ride, and the steering will be a bit quicker.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 02/09/15 at 04:44:40

We need a
Dave is right,again
Emoticon.

I don't remember bottoming, but I did know that the stroke is short.
I'm short, longer shocks never appealed to me, but probably could have done that and still flat foot it.. would have worked better in the curves and handled better... which might have been just enough to be faster than I was good in a sweeper...
I DROPPED the Savage,I never Crashed it.. It's the only 2wheeled anything I ever had I didn't crash..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:17:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shock adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.