Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Megaphone muffler (Read 107 times)
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Megaphone muffler
02/07/15 at 00:42:15

anyone here run or had run a megaphone muffler? Lookin to try one over my bcb drag pipe

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Megaphone muffler
Reply #1 - 02/07/15 at 03:46:10

Several folks run the Emgo shorty one....it is the same one used by the RYCA Cafe' bikes.  It is cheaply made and horribly, obnoxiously loud if you don't modify it a bit.  The muffler comes with almost no fiberglass inside.  The muffler is suitable if you take it apart and make some baffles.  A freeze plug can be inserted into the middle of the perforated pipe and it then operates like a baffle instead of a glass pack.  Someone added baffles during his bike build....and also added a round plate to make it even more acceptable - I will try to find it and post a link to it for you.  RYCA does a "Crumb Cup" addition to the muffler....but it doesn't help much.

Emgo also offers a longer version of the muffler that does not have a removable baffle, and it is a much nicer sounding muffler.

The long one.....MMRanch has this on his Savage:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMGO-BMW-80-84034-UNIVERSAL-MUFFLER-W-BRACKET-REDUCER...

The short obnoxiously loud one in black:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-Flat-Black-Short-Reverse-Cone-Megaphone-Muffler-...

And the loud one in Chrome:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-Chrome-Short-Reverse-Cone-Megaphone-Muffler-Cafe...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/07/15 at 04:28:16

Yeah i see them on the ryca site, just didnt know how loud they would  be.. do they run good on are bikes? Gonna redue my exhaust and get a new carb from lancer, so im looking  for a good flowing  muffler.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/07/15 at 08:46:06

I don't remember what exhaust some of the guys who have the best performance are running. I do know that Dyna is a well made, good looking, cheap, generally available,throaty but not obnoxious and easy to tune the carb to it. I dumped almost$400.00 into the Supertrap, sounded fine, bumped the power a little, did the Stage 1 cam, coulda saved over$350.00 and had the Dyna, and sounded as good and not given up any real HP I think.
I did the exhaust and cam and jetting all at the same time, so, which mods did the most good? Since they all work together, ehh, changing one or changing another, might be bad,
If you want to get the best performance, ask the guys who have done the mods . If you're just interested in it being loud, well, there is a ton of ways to get that done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/07/15 at 14:04:55

Well i know a cam,carb, air filter and exhuast along with opening the exhaust port will give the motor a nice bump in power..not really wanitng a LOUD exhaust, just wondering if they work good on are bikes..my bike is bobbed out so im looking to keep the old school look. I really want to do a high pipe exuast

IP Logged
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/08/15 at 09:39:03

Corey.  I may have a megaphone muffler for sale.  What's your time frame? PM me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/08/15 at 09:49:50

Have you thought about going to a muffler shop and having a header pipe just made, from jug on back? You could have it DO exactly what you want, AND, if you find the right guy at the right place, maybe some old dude who USED to be the kinda guy you are, you might get quite a nice deal,, maybe some floor sweeping, coupla 6packs, You need an independent, not a Midas Muffler shop,,,
Anyway, the header is double walled, so, the upswept would be longer, so, (here's where the Smart Guys come in) you'd be able to get away with a slightly larger ID and not lose torque?  
Anyway, if you are interested in that as a solution, there are guys here who can help you decide just what pipe to get.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/08/15 at 11:11:35

From what Ive seen on the web you can go up to a 1.5 header pipe and be ok...yeah I know some good ole boys that probably can make me whatever I want..just don't know if I want that much heat on my leg

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Megaphone muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.