Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike is cutting off on deceleration (Read 192 times)
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Bike is cutting off on deceleration
02/05/15 at 08:18:06

So here is the skinny on my issue. Recently my bike started to pop a little more than usual when coming off the throttle. Whether I eased off or flat out let go from wide open. Now if I'm at half throttle or more and have to decelerate quickly (let go completely or throttle down at a quick pace) the darn girl shut off. Happens 2nd - 5th gear

Any ideas as to what the heck is going on?

2013 S40, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Motul 4T 300V Double Ester Oil 10W40, K&N Oil Filter, Dyna Muffler, 6 Sigma Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Bike is cutting off on deceleration
Reply #1 - 02/05/15 at 08:36:08

Is your idle speed high enough?...

If so,... it might be time for a Raptor pet... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Reply #2 - 02/05/15 at 08:43:28

She sounds like she is idling high enough. Not sure what the RPM's should be around though or how I can decide since there is no tach....yet  Wink

Does the pet normally go out within the 1st 2 years of the bike?

2013 S40, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Motul 4T 300V Double Ester Oil 10W40, K&N Oil Filter, Dyna Muffler, 6 Sigma Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/05/15 at 08:52:41

Not normally, no... but, 2 year old bikes don't normally die when you let off the throttle either...
Grin...

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 02/05/15 at 09:21:11

The popping indicates a lean condition. Fuel starvation from a failing petcock certainly would cause this especially with the reduced vacuum that a fully closed throttle would produce. An obstruction in the fuel line is a potential problem as well.

Make sure that the carb boot between the carb to the head is not compromised or loose. Less likely are a dirty air filter (it would really have to be clogged) or a failing ECU.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Reply #5 - 02/05/15 at 09:30:50

Thanks Serwo & Gary. I'll look into replacing the pet. Do you have a Model #?

Question; How do I check or know if my RPM's are correct?   Undecided

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/05/15 at 09:40:15

Without a tach,.. you sorta' don't... but it should purr smoothly, not lope or stumble like a Harley...

Here's a test for the petcock...
This, is a link...-> Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..  Wink...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/05/15 at 09:58:15

PMo85 wrote on 02/05/15 at 09:30:50:
Question; How do I check or know if my RPM's are correct?   Undecided

maybe this will work for you...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1303712067

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 02/05/15 at 13:15:38

A fully closed throttle increases vacuum.  The vacuum tap is on the intake side of the butterfly.

I've never had your problem so I'm afraid I can't help with it.  

Check the petcock...it could be leaking into the vacuum hose.  If there's any gas in that hose, you've got a bad one.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/05/15 at 14:09:23

A clean carb is a wonderful thing.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 02/05/15 at 14:16:06

Steve H wrote on 02/05/15 at 13:15:38:
A fully closed throttle increases vacuum.  The vacuum tap is on the intake side of the butterfly.

I've never had your problem so I'm afraid I can't help with it.  

Check the petcock...it could be leaking into the vacuum hose.  If there's any gas in that hose, you've got a bad one.

It could be dying from being too rich...or too lean.

When you close the throttle, the needle drops down into the jet and closes off fuel flow....and the only fuel that goes to the engine is through the Pilot and Idle fuel circuit, and whatever may be added by the TEV valve.  If your Pilot jet (the smallest orifice in the carb) has any kind of deposit, varnish, corrosion or junk in it....the mixture may have gone so lean when you close the throttle that the engine can stop running.

Also when you close the throttle - the vacuum on the engine side of the butterfly does increase.  If the fuel pet thingy vacuum line is on the engine side of the butterfly...and if the diaphragm is going bad and allowing fuel down this path...the engine could also stall from being too rich.  The sound of this would most likely be noticeable, as the engine will "burble" rather than the noise most commonly associated with the banging and backfiring of a lean mixture.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 02/05/15 at 15:50:53

You're not gonna hurt it if you Jack the idle a little high... just idle it up some, just short of ridiculous,and see if that changes how it acts.
How is it running,other than the cut off from deceleration?
Start okay? Any other changes in it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #12 - 02/07/15 at 10:51:03

Don't know if this helps. When I first got the 06 S40.
Used to, 'race', with a buddy on a HD.
(Within Speed Limit Of Course)
From Stop light to Stoplight.   ALWAYS beat him.
(However on the open road, I would get to 60, then he would, blow MY doors off)
When I suddenly backed off throttle, at the light, most of the time the motor would kill.

Now it doesn't do that, (at least last fall)

The only thing that changed, was, the PO, used cheep Ethanol gas, I use, Non-Oxy gas, and after a couple of tank fulls, that, 'motor stopping, after sudden throttle down and breaking', stopped.

When it did that, the only thing I did, before, was raise the idle to about 1050.  But it didn't stop, until I had run 2-3 tank fulls of good gas through.  Raptor and tweaking the carb, did after the, 'fast idle down motor stopping', stopped.

So I am thinking, running the Non-Oxy gas, 'cleaned' the carb.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 02/07/15 at 11:40:20

MnSpring wrote on 02/07/15 at 10:51:03:
So I am thinking, running the Non-Oxy gas, 'cleaned' the carb.

Probably not.....the non-ethanol gas does not require as much air as the ethanol does.  What happens is the fuel mixture is just a tad bit richer when you run pure gasoline.  So....your engine doesn't suffer quite as lean of a mixture when you have the throttle closed suddenly.  The E10 gas is actually pretty good about keeping things clean - however it can corrode aluminum parts if you just let it sit and don't run the fuel through regularly.

I have a generator with the ability to drop down to idle when you are not using power - then when you pull the switch on a drill or saw - the engine jumps up from idle to operating speed.  The generator was built when all fuel was ethanol free - and the carb does not have any mixture adjustment.  If I run ethanol free gas the mixture ratio is good, and the generator runs fine.  If I run E10 pump gas - the mixture is just a bit lean and the generator stalls when it tries to jump up to the operating speed from idle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 02/07/15 at 12:14:07

Dave wrote:
Quote:
the non-ethanol gas does not require as much air as the ethanol does.  What happens is the fuel mixture is just a tad bit richer when you run pure gasoline.  So....your engine doesn't suffer quite as lean of a mixture when you have the throttle closed suddenly

If that's the case - and I've got no reason to believe its not - then I wonder if running non E gas might reduce the tendency of a completely stock S40 to backfire on roll off and shut down, since those characteristics seem to be blamed in part on the excessively lean factory jetting

I'm going to experiment as soon as the weather here warms up enough to ride. I've just located a station near me that sells 91 octane non-E gas. It's a little more expensive than the 87 octane E-10 that I've been using but not by a lot.

Except for turning the mixture screw out about a half turn from where it was when I removed the plug, the carb on my '06 hasn't been touched. Stock exhaust. The bike runs fine but it does pop if I snap the throttle shut abruptly ( I usually try to roll of slowly) and it afterfires a bit when I shut it down most of the time.

Now that I can get the Non E gas without searching for it I'm curious to see what difference it makes. I'll run it this coming summer and see what happens.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:15:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike is cutting off on deceleration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.