First Ride of the Year (Read 183 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
First Ride of the Year
02/04/15 at 12:49:40

I was able to take a long lunch and go on the first ride of the year today. High 40's and sunny. Passed lots of cranky old guys on bikes learning how to smile again. The full fairing on the Goldwing helps and the new Olympia cold weather gloves were fantastic! Along with a lined windproof jacket and pants, balaclava, and ICW boots, I was quite warm.

Snow and rain in the forecast for tonight and a high of 29 tomorrow, but 42 Friday and a sweltering 52 forecast for Saturday. Looking better each day.

Added one of the best options out there to the GL1500. The thing comes with a center stand but getting up on it is an act of balance, leverage, faith, and confidence you can pick it up after you drop it. The darned things weighs over 850 pounds wet. Bought an aftermarket center stand that, while sitting on the bike and putting slight pressure on the center stand foot pad, you simply put it into reverse and back it onto the stand. Very stable and allows both me and the good wife to stand on the pegs to mount and dismount the bike. Ready to ride? Just sit on the bike, put it in gear, and ride it off the center stand. How cool is that?

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: First Ride of the Year
Reply #1 - 02/04/15 at 12:54:15

Blinky-FSO wrote on 02/04/15 at 12:49:40:
you simply put it into reverse and back it onto the stand.

????????? Undecided???????

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/04/15 at 13:02:21

Dave wrote on 02/04/15 at 12:54:15:
Blinky-FSO wrote on 02/04/15 at 12:49:40:
you simply put it into reverse and back it onto the stand.

????????? Undecided???????

Dave,
Most GL1500's have a very robust starter that also functions as an electric reverse gear, thank God. The video shows a GL1800 but the process is the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Fm0DZ0K10

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
GBG

'06 S40. Stock plus
saddlebags.

Cincinnati, OH
Reply #3 - 02/04/15 at 14:38:38

I got out a couple of Tuesdays back, when we hit 50 north of Cincy. Just about twenty miles, but a lot of fun.
The bad part is that now I've spent two weeks wanting to ride again.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 02/04/15 at 15:55:14

Rode back and forth to work one sunny day last week when it was a whopping 32o out. Supposed to be in the upper 40 and 50s this week, but it's been raining.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/04/15 at 16:05:18

I almost went for a ride two Saturdays ago as the weather was really nice -  unfortunately the weather was also really good for cutting firewood, and that took all day.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 02/05/15 at 04:42:52

Dave wrote on 02/04/15 at 16:05:18:
I almost went for a ride two Saturdays ago as the weather was really nice -  unfortunately the weather was also really good for cutting firewood, and that took all day.

Priorities, Dave, priorities.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 02/05/15 at 13:19:43

Really!?!

Dave put off a perfectly good riding day for cutting firewood that can be done on a bad day.  What's with his priorities these days.

JK...the firewood will probably do you much more good than a while on the road would have.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/05/15 at 13:23:59

Steve H wrote on 02/05/15 at 13:19:43:
Really!?!

Dave put off a perfectly good riding day for cutting firewood that can be done on a bad day.  What's with his priorities these days.

JK...the firewood will probably do you much more good than a while on the road would have.

Well......I have to keep the wife warm and happy all winter!

I really had thought I could get on the bike for a lap or two around the block - but it just didn't happen.  When you drop these dead Ash trees....it takes a really long time to clean up the mess.  The dead branches are really brittle, and they break into thousands of little tiny pieces!

IMG_0875_001.JPG

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #9 - 02/05/15 at 15:56:41

Dave wrote on 02/05/15 at 13:23:59:
I really had thought I could get on the bike for a lap or two around the block - but it just didn't happen.  When you drop these dead Ash trees....it takes a really long time to clean up the mess.  The dead branches are really brittle, and they break into thousands of little tiny pieces!

I learned a long time ago a tree is  A LOT bigger on the ground than it is in the air.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 02/05/15 at 16:30:59

Ha Haa! I SOLD my log splitter... Hauled the wood stove out,hung a propane heater on the wall and ran some copper line...
And, after the big trees near the house were cut, a buddy and I cut,split and hauled firewood, instead of just dragging them off to the back of the property with the backhoe,, ohh yeah,we were gonna make some money,  
HA! We cleaned up the yard, no idea how many loads of wood, and we made MAYBE $2.00 an hour,, Ehhh, who knows,really.. BUT, trees ARE longer than they are tall and the cutting and splitting and loading and hauling and unloading and stacking is not a good way to make money.
Or, maybe we were not going at it right.. I'm not going to be trying to figure it out..
Whatever you decide to do with the trees, be careful, wear ear protection for chainsaw work, eyes,too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 02/05/15 at 18:59:52

And pants
A friend of mine cut his leg badly with a chainsaw last year

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 02/05/15 at 19:02:57

Art Webb wrote on 02/05/15 at 18:59:52:
And pants (the kind made to proteck you during chainsaw work)
A friend of mine cut his leg badly with a chainsaw last year

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 02/06/15 at 03:26:10

I try to be safe, I do have the orange  "chaps" with the Kevlar in them...supposedly the Kevlar fibers get caught by the chain and stall the engine before the chain can get to your leg - I hope never to find out.  And I do wear ear plugs to protect what little hearing I have left.

I am heating a 2,000 square foot house and 1,800 square foot garage with my outdoor boiler.  My utility bills are only $ 70 a month for electricity!  I plan on heating with wood as long as I am healthy enough to do it.  It is good exercise, I have trees dying and falling on the property that need cleaned up anyhow, and I am able to keep my "bike money" from being sent to the gas and electric companies!

With these trees.....most of the time is spent with a rake cleaning up the shrapnel.  The broom stick size pieces break into stuff about 6" long, the smaller stuff breaks into tiny pieces....look closely in the photo and you can see all the tiny stuff sitting on top of the grass.

« Last Edit: 02/06/15 at 10:07:48 by Dave »  

IMG_0877.JPG

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #14 - 02/06/15 at 09:53:03

I rode from my house to my parents in Bethel 2 weekends ago.  It was sunny and 45+ when I left my house.  As I got further east, I kept seeing snow on the shady parts whereas we'd gotten rain during the same time period.  I get to my parents and they have about 1/4" of snow on the top 1/3 of their sloped driveway from the shade of the house.  I'd have loved to have Blinky's reverse since my bike is actually heavier than his is. Smiley

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:19:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › First Ride of the Year

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.