Send Topic Print
Royal Single (Read 224 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Royal Single
02/04/15 at 02:49:54

I know nothing of these bikes because I have never ridden a Royal, but this is one fine looking  single!

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/royal-enfield-now-sells-more-170049038.html

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Royal Single
Reply #1 - 02/04/15 at 05:21:13

Yep....a lot of us here like the look of the Royal Enfield.

Some of us....enough to buy one:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1418648838

At this point the only thing that worries folks...is the reliability, availability of parts, and dealer support.  Royal Enfield has been around for a very long time - they started to assemble bikes in India since 1955, and started to manufacture the entire bike in 1967.  A new plant was built in 2013.  It appears their presence in the US is making a strong comeback.

« Last Edit: 02/04/15 at 07:27:55 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/04/15 at 08:19:36

They've had some teething pains. At least one member had one and enjoyed everything about it except for the lack of dependability. That was a few years ago,though, and it WAS just One of those that they made. Was it reasonable to judge the brand on the performance of one bike? Probably not,but it didn't speak well for them. I can't walk past one and not look. I think they are a fine looking machine. Much as I dig the Savage, I don't know what I'd do if someone said pick one... ahhh, yes, I do.. I'd go with the one I KNOW. I'd take the one that has a following and forum where experienced people gather and team up to help people..
I'd take the 650 over the 500, even if I had nothing else to decide by, and, being short, the Savage again gets my vote.

I'm rich, my wife loves me, I can have what I. WANT
(Edit to add,,IF I'm rich,, AND I can have,,,,,)

Kawasaki W 650
Savage
Ninja ,, I dunno, 250? 300? Both?
Royal Enfield

My rules for bikes are a little different than most,I guess.
No more than two pistons.
No heavy machines.
After buying a Guzzi 750 I discovered that the peg position made long rides not so fun, so, ergonomics are a real factor. Enfield looks laid out well.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/04/15 at 08:28:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/04/15 at 08:19:36:
No heavy machines.
After buying a Guzzi 750 I discovered that the peg position made long rides not so fun, so, ergonomics are a real factor. Enfield looks laid out well.

I like those rules...
Also,... it must be carbed... and no bike should need a fuel pump...

The Savage measures up, pretty good... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 02/04/15 at 08:33:26

yeah, I should have mentioned carbs,,
Is FI "better"? Well, technically,yes. But, it limits the owner and, if there is a problem, it's REALLY a problem.. Carbs are tinkerable. Depending on Your tinkerabilities,of course.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 02/04/15 at 11:03:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/04/15 at 08:19:36:
They've had some teething pains. At least one member had one and enjoyed everything about it except for the lack of dependability. That was a few years ago,though, and it WAS just One of those that they made. Was it reasonable to judge the brand on the performance of one bike? Probably not,but it didn't speak well for them. I can't walk past one and not look. I think they are a fine looking machine. Much as I dig the Savage, I don't know what I'd do if someone said pick one... ahhh, yes, I do.. I'd go with the one I KNOW. I'd take the one that has a following and forum where experienced people gather and team up to help people..
I'd take the 650 over the 500, even if I had nothing else to decide by, and, being short, the Savage again gets my vote.

I'm rich, my wife loves me, I can have what I. WANT
(Edit to add,,IF I'm rich,, AND I can have,,,,,)

Kawasaki W 650
Savage
Ninja ,, I dunno, 250? 300? Both?
Royal Enfield

No heavy machines.

Yep .. I like that list but
Kawa w650
Truimph Legend TT
RE Bullet

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 02/04/15 at 11:12:48

Hey,man, it's your imaginary checkbook, your imaginary garage and your imaginary,adoring and adorable wife.. feel free to post imaginary pics of all of it..
Ahh, the cost of fantasy,,,

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 02/04/15 at 12:14:13

My list would read like Pine's lidt, I've had a Ninja500, and even that peg position is problematic for me on long rides

btw, the RE Bullet is FI now
I still love the look

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 02/04/15 at 16:19:15

I guess your all tired of hearing about it by now : I have the Continental GT and really dig it. Sure it's not fast but it's fast enough, handles nice its comfortable to me and looks beautiful. Build quality,not so great. Lots of loose fasteners from new,a couple cross/ stripped threads and a light weight wiring loom. But, I've done 5000km now with no mechanical problems. Just had to fit a PowerCommander IV to fix the fuel infection flat spot. There's lots of reviews out there panning the CGT for being underpowered, vibey, uncomfortable,poor value. I'd say,if they feel that way then it's simply the wrong bike for them. You can buy a lot more bike for the money for sure. But bikes (IMO) are about having the bike you want,not the best bang for buck. I like it for what it is.
My dream garage: has the bikes I want in it already  Cheesy would love a SR500 for a cafe project but don't think it's going to happen.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 02/04/15 at 16:42:15

gizzo wrote on 02/04/15 at 16:19:15:
I guess your all tired of hearing about it by now ...

Gizzo,.. we never tire of hearing about beautiful thumper machines...

We never tire of pics either...
Especially road pics... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 02/04/15 at 17:36:43

Awwww shucks... I'll go for a ride and take some photos when I get out of hospital (having my single cylinder lung condition rectified atm. Will soon be running on both cylinders). Is still summer here for a while.... Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/05/15 at 03:40:08

Not sure what this fellow is saying......maybe something about where he is going for lunch.  The fellow with the paint brush is really cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTIMxeO_ng

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 02/05/15 at 03:54:12

That's skillful. I think theres one old chap at the Rolls factory who does all their pinstripes the same way.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 02/07/15 at 13:29:39

Yea I'm loving the RE, I haven't saddled too many hours yet due to the colder then usual winter so far. I've been a long time admirer of the RE's, it was the dependability issues that held me at bay from them in the 90's as the original iron lungers didn't have the best reliability record, not terrible but you definitely had to be a roadside mechanic and certain spares on hand. Next generation was the AVL's which were more reliable, but still not quite there, also due to the design of the engine with the AVL's there was less power and just not as smooth of engine response. In 2008(2009 to international markets) RE released it's new UCE Unit Construction Engine, a much more reliable setup along with front disc brakes and fuel injection, they also invested quite a bit of money into a new manufacturing plant. It took a few years of trial and error to tweek the new UCE power train and get their manufacturing quality up to snuff in the new plant, but the 2012 and newer RE's are quite reliable and every year have an improved fit and finish. From the USA 2009 to the current Bullet side by side the current's quality is very improved, from the engine cases being smoothly finished, the paint being a much better quality to the transmission shifting so much smoother. There are guys on the forums with over 35K miles on UCE engines with no real issues.   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 02/07/15 at 13:31:50

The cold hasn't completely stopped me though! And kick starting a bike when it's 30 degrees makes you feel pretty manly HAHAHAHAHAHAHA    Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:22:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Royal Single

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.