Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shorten a swing arm?  ryca (Read 97 times)
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
shorten a swing arm?  ryca
02/02/15 at 16:43:18

Looking at the proportions of the bike, anyone consider shortening the SA on the bike by ~ 3".  I know the crossbrace would have the be reworked signifigantly.....but the stock WB is pretty long ......

sav2_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Re: shorten a swing arm?  ryca
Reply #1 - 02/02/15 at 23:14:46

The S40 is only a few inches longer than the Yamaha XT 250.  The bike is pretty short already.  If I was messing around making a cafe racer I would change the rake on the forks first.  Bring it in a bit.

Clearance in cornering is what you want if you actually want to rat race.

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #2 - 02/02/15 at 23:29:20

Nothing gets your heart pumpin purple panther xxxx like sliding on the pipes through a corner. Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/03/15 at 03:42:49

The proportions of the RYCA are not out of character for a Cafe' bike.  If you do a "Google Search" for Cafe Motorcycle Image...you will find that about half of the bikes have the end of the seat forward of the top of the rear tire.  The ones that don't have longer tanks, longer seats, or those two items are shifted farther back on the frame.  The Savage tank is pretty short when compared to most multi-cylinder bikes.

Shortening a swing arm 3" would be nearly impossible, and moving the rear wheel forward 3" won't do anything to improve the handling.  Trying to just shorten the swing arm would eliminate the cross piece that holds the swing arm sides together and provides stiffness.  A few of us have cut 1/4 or 1/2" out of the cross brace to get tire clearance - but the axle location actually stays the same and the wheel is not moved forward.  To move the rear wheel forward 3" you would have to reconstruct the frame behind the engine and move the pivot point forward....while you are doing that you might as well move the pivot point down so you can get the swing arm more parallel with the ground - the swing arm pivot point would be just about where your rear set pegs are located.  This is not uncommon....and a lot of rear set pegs are mounted with plates that attach elsewhere on the frame and then extend down along side the swing arm pivot point.  Sport bikes often have the pivot point far forward of the pegs.  Are you up to the task of cutting the frame, modifying it, and making new peg mounts and linkage?  

rearset.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/05/15 at 04:52:09

I just happened to see this picture this morning....and it shows that the Savage and RYCA Cafe' conversion is not a long bike.  This is my bike behind MMRanch's 883 Sportster on the Dragon ride last year.  You can see how much longer the Sportster is.  When the longer shocks are installed it makes the front fork angle a bit more vertical, and pulls the front wheel back slightly....so it is just a tad shorter than a stock Savage.

IMG_1458.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/05/15 at 06:36:55

Plenty else to do,, that'd mess with the ride, safety, hafta get a chain, no telling what the handling would be..

And it's a small bike now..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 02/05/15 at 06:54:12

I think that shortening the swingarm would disrupt the weight distribution that a cafe' conversion enjoys over the standard configuration. The nice thing about moving the distribution from rear biased (standard S40) to a forward biased configuration is the better handling due to the forks carrying much of the suspension load.

That, and sitting closer to the rear axle could make the bike more wheelie prone. Well, extra HP would help in that regard too. Smiley

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:28:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shorten a swing arm?  ryca

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!