Send Topic Print
CONTROLS AND SWTICHES (Read 117 times)
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CONTROLS AND SWTICHES
02/01/15 at 14:55:12

Hello!  I am looking into swapping my stock ignition controls and signal/light controls for...  something.  Been looking at options, would love something a little smaller and ideally black to fit my new build.  

So I am asking if anyone has had experience with different options or anything to keep in mind when piecing together replacements.  Any tips are appreciated!

1" handlebars obviously, 86 savage, stock wiring otherwise as far as I know.  

I'll post pics and updates from my build as it progresses, I only have time to work on the bike every few months though so bear with me.  And as always, thanks for such a useful and informed forum!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: CONTROLS AND SWTICHES
Reply #1 - 02/01/15 at 19:32:06

Your new build? So, not your first bike, not the first one to modify?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/01/15 at 20:14:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/01/15 at 19:32:06:
Your new build? So, not your first bike, not the first one to modify?

Not my first bike but this is the only Savage I've ever owned, got it a few years ago and worked on it with a friend, love the bike but want to just re-do the overall style of it.  I'm going car free starting next month for a while and putting some dough into the bike in preparation for that, maintenance and cosmetics (just ordered a jetset from Lancer, looking forward to that).

So no, not my first bike to modify, had a handful of Hondas over the years I've tooled with and a BMW for a while, had the Savage 3 years now and it's certainly my favorite.

I've never done much with replacing electric stuff though, just seeing if there is a 'Savage preferred' after market piece or any peculiarities to watch out for when finding something compatible.  Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 02/01/15 at 20:53:12

Not sure what the Suzuki folks put in the carb in 86..
What exhaust are you running?
I don't Know if or what has been done about the location of the iggy switch.
I Should, considering how much time I spend here,, or, I should at Least be able to tell you how to use the search function,, But, I've never done that,,
I'll bet you're just thrilled I showed up,huhh?

Sorry to be like, no help.
I Did just learn something new today,, not sure if it's gonna be much help for you right now,but...

The way I hear it..
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem..
Recommend you don't have an electrical problem,  hammers are easier to use than ohm meters. I know,, I have 2 ohm meters and about 15 hammers..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/01/15 at 20:58:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/01/15 at 20:53:12:
The way I hear it..
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem..
Recommend you don't have an electrical problem,  hammers are easier to use than ohm meters. I know,, I have 2 ohm meters and about 15 hammers..

This has been enlightening

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 02/01/15 at 21:18:52

Well, now I don't feel quite so bad about being no real help. There are guys here who can, and they will be along and pitch in. I'm sure someone has done what you are looking at doing. Don't get discouraged by the fact that so far all you've gotten for your trouble is a smart aleck jokester.. I actually Can help, depending on the problem. Hope you at least got a giggle..
Where are you? West of Central Time?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/02/15 at 03:29:57

You can change the handlebar switches for something else - but you can't do it easily.  You need to be sure you pick a master cylinder that has the same size bore as the Savage.  You will find a small number on the size of the master cylinder that show the size......like 12, 14 or 1/2....or you can buy aftermarket master cylinders in any size you need. Some master cylinders have the brake light switch built in - others need a pressure switch installed in the hydraulic line.

For the electrical components you need to look at the wiring diagram for the donor bike and confirm the electrical switches operate similarly, and that you can connect and splice wires into a system that operates the same as the Savage.  A lot of the electrical components are tied together - and the clutch safety/side stand safety/neutral light/stop switch/starter button are all connected and interact with each other.   It is doubtful that you will find anything that can just plug into the existing wiring harnesses.....in fact I bet it is impossible.  You have to cut the wiring harness, splice the harnesses together using the wiring diagrams for both bikes, and make changes as necessary.  When I did this I had to account for the fact that the hazard light switch that used to be on the right side control was now over on the left hand control.  This meant those wires had to be re-routed from the wiring harness that goes to the right hand control and over to the wiring harness on the left handlebar control....and done through the wiring harness plugs if you want it to just plug in like normal.

I went with 7/8" bars, a Honda TRX 400EX master cylinder, a Kawasaki KLR 650 right electric control, a Magura Enduro throttle, a GSXR 600/750 clutch lever, a GSXR 1000 left electrical control, and a BMX bicycle lever that I used for my compression release.  I had tried a CRX450 clutch lever with a compression release lever - but the clutch lever had too short of a clutch lever pull to properly work the clutch on the Savage.

I did lose a few nights sleep tossing and turning while I worried that I would be able to work the wiring changes out properly.  It is a lot of work....and the wiring changes can be pretty intimidating. Shocked

« Last Edit: 02/02/15 at 06:14:31 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 02/02/15 at 06:05:01

It's not easy to get that much stuff in such a small space and have it be tidy.
If it ain't tidy,it's not a good job. That's a good job.
SO, we see someone has done it and won it.
That said, be advised, Dave has done a lot. He says intimidating, then walk in carefully..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 17:17:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CONTROLS AND SWTICHES

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.