Send Topic Print
"new" ryca bike (Read 447 times)
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
"new" ryca bike
01/31/15 at 18:00:49

I have a "new" to me, 06 Ryca S40.  Its not finished, but its close.
Original owner started the build - #2 owner got it running, as it sits for a year or two.  now this is the condition "as bought".  Its needs some love for sure, but bones are good.   Anyone know THIS bike?

Questions:
1) there is no rear brake light switch.   How is this handled?  OEM switch? repositioned?  aftermarket?
2) I think stock, it will not start without the clutch pulled, is this maintained in the Ryca build?  
3) foot operated decompression lever is broken.  Can a small hand lever be used instead?

I'll need some parts:  stock headlight, belt cover, maybe a rear stoplight switch?  (see question 1).

Thanks.......Mike
« Last Edit: 02/01/15 at 13:27:33 by swing69 »  

sav2.jpg
  IP Logged
LS650THUMPER

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ma
Re: "new" ryca bike
Reply #1 - 01/31/15 at 18:35:57

Try the rycamotors website,  And contact info. Cool Also try drumhillcycle.com they have used parts.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/31/15 at 19:42:22

I dunno how stout you are, but I THINK the decompression gizmo requires some horsepower,which could explain the busted linkage. A manual decompression CAN be managed.. neat and tidy..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/01/15 at 02:58:13

The stock brake light switch is used - the cable gets mounted in a different way.  Go to the RYCA website or YouTube and watch their instruction videos for their CS-1/

I do believe that RYCA maintains the clutch safety in their build.  They do offer an alternative wiring change - that eliminates the clutch safety but will only allow the bike to be started in neutral.  This is somewhat open to debate......as trying to find neutral when you stall at a traffic light is a bit problematic - it is better to just be able to pull in the clutch and start the bike in a hurry.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1417551210/3#3

They do make a hand operated lever that mounts on the decompression shaft......I don't know how you are supposed to pull in the clutch with your left hand, and also operate that lever as well with the same hand.  If the weather is warm....90% of the time your engine will start just fine without the compression lever being used.  Every now and then the engine ends up right at the compression stroke when you hit the starter, and at least with my Wiseco piston that has high compression the starter motor cannot push the piston up over TDC.  I made a hand operated lever using a BMX bicycle lever and a cable....it works really well, and with my controls I can pull in the clutch lever and reach the decompression lever with my index finger.  Go to reply #170 in my build to see what I did.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1358099938/165

The RYCA kit has their own belt cover - I don't know if you can use the stock belt covers anymore, as the long rear shocks change the angle of the belt in relation to the swing arm pivot point - the belt is much lower at the pivot point.

And lastly....I dunno' what you are planning on doing for a tail light and turn signals - but the stock RYCA CS-1 tail/brake/turn signal combination is not bright enough to keep you safe.  In the sunlight the turn signals and brake light won't get the attention of the distracted folks behind you.  I believe you need good turn signals and a supplemental brake light.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/01/15 at 09:01:06

I know nothing about the LS650's decomp system, but I've had two GN400s, both used a manual decomp, and both used a hand lever, and you didn't have to hold it open:
on this Kickstart only bike, you
1 use the kick lever to get the piston to the compession stroke
2 pull the decomp lever, which will 'click' as it sets the valve open
3 push the kick lever until the decomp klick again
4 reset the kick lever and kick it over
there was nothin hard about pulling the lever, it locked into place, so you didn't have to hold it
How could the decomp on a savage be all that much harder? it's only 250cc more

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/01/15 at 09:48:47

Art Webb wrote on 02/01/15 at 09:01:06:
I know nothing about the LS650's decomp system, but I've had two GN400s, both used a manual decomp, and both used a hand lever, and you didn't have to hold it open:
there was nothin hard about pulling the lever, it locked into place, so you didn't have to hold it

The Savage is harder because it is not kick start, and you have no choice where the engine is turned when you pull the decompression lever.  Sometimes you get lucky and the exhaust valves are open....and you can move the decompression lever in to place with a single finger.  However - if the exhaust valves are closed, the lever has to lift both exhaust valves off their seats - which requires pushing against both exhaust valve springs.  It take a lot of pressure with the little hand lever they sell that goes on the decompression shaft.

IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #6 - 02/01/15 at 11:29:17

I have had older british singles that the starting routine included nudging it by TDC by holding the compression release and moving the kickstarter.  As said, with an electric starter, you don't have the luxury of knowing or changing where it shut off in the stroke process.

The clutch kill is still there, so I'll fix the foot operated decompression release and call it a day.

where is the RYCA rear brakes switch?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/01/15 at 18:05:12

swing69 wrote on 02/01/15 at 11:29:17:
where is the RYCA rear brakes switch?

Same place it is on the stock bike....they just move the cable to work with the relocated brake pedal.  And from looking at the photo....you need to buy their new brake stop.  It prevents the pedal from rotating up too far and allows you to adjust the rear brake properly.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 02/01/15 at 19:29:38

you need to buy their new brake stop.

Or build...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #9 - 02/01/15 at 20:05:17

Its part of the "finishing" that I need to do.  Yes, I need the stop AND another plate bracket, the PO sawed it off.

Also:  I haven't checked the accuracy of the mini speedo from ryca with the new 18" rear tire.  IS it close?   I'm thinking about doing a chain conversion....I guess I can make things better? or worse?  anyone have experience with this?  

thanks.  I'm learning as I go......

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 02/01/15 at 21:02:04

I dunno how long till you get to riding weather, but I'd be shooting to get things done so you can ride as soon as weather permits. You can ditch the belt next winter, or after you're sure that needs done. Maybe you should get a few thousand miles on it before you spend more time and money on it. Learn how to maintain it, get used to it, then Do whatever.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 02/01/15 at 21:21:48

Dave wrote on 02/01/15 at 09:48:47:
Art Webb wrote on 02/01/15 at 09:01:06:

The Savage is harder because it is not kick start, and you have no choice where the engine is turned when you pull the decompression lever.  Sometimes you get lucky and the exhaust valves are open....and you can move the decompression lever in to place with a single finger.  However - if the exhaust valves are closed, the lever has to lift both exhaust valves off their seats - which requires pushing against both exhaust valve springs.  It take a lot of pressure with the little hand lever they sell that goes on the decompression shaft.

And I once had a DR500 that also had the little decompressor lever on the handlebar. Like Art Webb's 400, could pull it in quite easily with the piston anywhere on the stroke. Was handly for bump starting while still moving, like if the motor stalled using too much brake going down a steep incline or something. Anyway, my DR250 has the same thing, same thing. Maybe it would work ok on the 650? Looks like this :

IMAG0844.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 02/01/15 at 21:48:16

If you could get a spark plug hole added to the head, isn't that how some of the old dirt bikes installed the compression release?

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 02/01/15 at 22:38:49

I've seen that too, JoG. A twin plug head that has a small valve in the spare hole. But the cabbage already has a valve lifter, just needs some way of working it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 02/02/15 at 03:58:07

There are several different systems for "compression release" on engines.  Some engines only "reduce" the compression - while still retaining enough compression to allow the engine to start.  These systems can be operated by a hand lever - or are sometimes activated by a small movable weight on the camshaft.  On the lever systems there is usually a small orifice that allows only a small portion of the exhaust to escape - or there is a little hole part way up the cylinder that is then closed off when the piston passes above the hole.  My big chainsaw has a compression release "button" on the top of the cylinder - you push it in and it releases a small amount of compression, and when the engine starts the force of the explosion forces the button into the closed position.  For the camshaft operated systems - when the engine is not running the exhaust valve is held open a little longer by a pin or ramp, and by releasing the compression out the exhaust valve for a portion of the compression stroke the compression is reduced.....then when the engine starts the weight moves outward on the cam and the exhaust valves work normally.  Most lawn mower engines have this system, and a lot of motorcycles use this camshaft operated system as well....and you don't have to do a thing as it is all automatic.

The compression release on the Savage holds the exhaust valves open so far that the engine will never start or run - and the electrical release only functions long enough for the engine to turn over once or twice and build up some momentum to ease the work of the starter.  When you remove the electrical system you need a way to hold the exhaust valves just long enough for the starter to turn the engine over to build up some momentum - then you have to release the lever for the engine to make compression and start.

The lever up on the handlebars is half of the system....the part down on the engine has to be compatible with the lever.

Buying and using the handlebar lever from another bike has some problems.  Most of the bikes that use a compression release lever have 7/8" diameter handlebars - while the Savage is a 1" diameter bar.  I switched my  bike to use 7/8" diameter handlebars, and I tried using a Honda CRF450 clutch lever with a "Hot Start" lever built into it.  The 2 problems I ended up with is the clutch lever did not have a long enough pull to get the Savage clutch to release completely, and the Hot Start lever did not have enough leverage to pull the compression release shaft on the Savage.  IF the exhaust valves happened to be open when you pulled the lever it worked fine....as the valves were already open and you did not have to lift them off the seats.  If the exhaust valves were closed the lever just couldn't be pulled hard enough to overcome the valve spring force to open the valves.

I ended up using a BMX bicycle left brake lever, and I had to modify the compression release lever down on the engine to provide a longer lever that provided more leverage and matched the cable pull length of the BMX lever.  It also required a new cable mount to move the cable end in line with the longer lever, and I had to build a cable.

And now a plug for a future sale.  I have found a way to bore the hole in the BMX lever to fit the 1" handlebars, and I am making 5 kits to install this manual compression release.  I have not yet established a price, as I need to finish the kits and see how much money and time I have in them.  It does take a lot of time....probably about 4 hours for each kit plus parts cost.  I had to make all the cable ends, make a holding jig for boring the levers to 1", cut the cables to length and solder the ends on, make the longer levers for the engine, and either make of modify the cable mount (not sure yet which way to go).  I have all the parts purchased, the levers have been completed, and I will have the engine related parts and cables finished in about a month.

« Last Edit: 02/02/15 at 08:01:24 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:19:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "new" ryca bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.