stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
front tire clearance
01/29/15 at 16:26:25

Got my new kenda tire installed and it's stock size of 100/90/19.  I didn't pay attention to the previous stock IRC before removed but it seems it had a little more clearance.  The new tire has what appears to be about 1/4 inch clearance at the front and back of the fender where the front and back edges are rolled in and under for aesthetics.

Is this ok/normal or is this cutting it kinda close?  I rode it down the driveway and it seems fine and I understand that the travel is in the shocks, but I just wanna make sure that by some sort of fluke I don't have something I need to be watching.

It was my first wheel 'reinstall' and it all seemed to button up like it should have...I mean...the axle is either in or it ain't.  Smiley

Thanks folks!

IMG-20150129-02579.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: front tire clearance
Reply #1 - 01/29/15 at 16:56:20

I've got a Kenda Kruz 100/90/19 on mine... no problems ... Wink...
...even with the mudflap bolts under there... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 01/29/15 at 17:31:02

stewmills wrote on 01/29/15 at 16:26:25:
Is this ok/normal or is this cutting it kinda close?

Yes and yes,  I have Metzlers and the tire actual rubbed the fender on the way home from the shop.  We have four bolts that hold the fender on.  The front ones are fixed and the back have a bit of room to adjust either way.  It's close, but your probably alright.

Best regards,

« Last Edit: 01/30/15 at 04:19:50 by Dave »  

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 01/30/15 at 06:43:50

Thanks folks.  I'll keep an eye on it but I think it's ok.  The clearance in the front and back of the front fender is about equal so I don't think I'll mess with adjusting anything.  

Speaking of tires and clearance, I have read some posts where folks step up the rear tire size from to 140/80/ 15 to maybe a 140/90(?) 15 and it supposedly helps make the speedo more accurate?

I am not a stickler for my speedo being spot-on, but are there benefits to stepping up the rear tire size, and if so, what is the optimal step-up size that fits with no rubbing/clearance issues?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 01/30/15 at 06:49:19

140/90 usually doesn't cause any problem. The biggest advantage is a much wider selection of tires/price ranges to pick from. 140/80s are kind of scarce and the ones available are more expensive than some of the 140/90s.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/30/15 at 06:54:56

If it's not rubbing now, I don't see why it would start. Close is close, rubbing is rubbing... Now, you get a slab o goo stuck to the tire and it gets jammed atween the fender and tire. I don't know how cool that might be.. OR likely to ever happen... Rowboat has Little clearance and has been getting away with it for long time... But then God DOES watch over children and idiots and we've all seen his picture and know he isn't a child,,, so,, you do what ya think ya ottsta, I'd probably just ride it.

The Dunlop 140/90 fit fine, seemed to calibrate the Speedo better AND delivers a slightly taller geared final drive. The "off the line" pull is not noticeably diminished, the top end is a bit better, and the grip and life of the Dunlop suited my style and miles per year okay.. I do wish I woulda tried more brand names... so I could report more fact based and a more balanced rundown.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 01/30/15 at 08:27:30

Thanks for the feedback on the rear.

I did find this picture of the original and put it next to the new tire. How in the world can the "same size" tired have such a variance in the amount of clearance?

Maybe I need to check the pressure and see if it's overinflated?

tire_001.JPG

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/30/15 at 08:44:01

I dunno man,  some 32/30 pants fit bettern others, some 8&1/2 double E shoes fit bettern others,  but, a Tire, measured across the bead, a Known diameter, THEN, the cross section and sidewall height are SUPPOSED to be the result of the mold that is SUPPOSED to be the measurements that are stated on the tire... Now, is that the carcass measurement or is that With Tread or WHAT? As Bill on King of the Hill would say,,

Dangfino,man..

Tirese, aspect ratios, phhhht, some tires are just tiresome..
Gitchya summathat,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 01/30/15 at 08:56:15

It's a brand thing, happens on car tires, too, brand x a bit bigger tha brand y, even though they're the 'same' size
my 140/90 rubs just a bit on buomps, but that's just the heads of the bolts holding the fender trim (and my saddlebag brackets) hitting
So far I can't find button head bolts to fix this issue, but it's not a huge deal

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 01/30/15 at 10:54:12

It is sunny and 58 degrees here today, with winds +/-15mph. I couldn't take it any longer so I rode her back to work after lunch. It's about 8 miles at 45mph-55mph. She seemed to ride just fine and upon arriving, an initial inspection reveals no scrubbing (on the front) or other signs of concern.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/31/15 at 03:35:38

My fender fits close....and the only time I get any issues is when the new tires have gluey labels on them.  When you pull the label off it leaves the glue on the tire....and the glue picks up a layer of stones and pebbles until it wears off.  (Next time I am going to use Goo Gone before riding!)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 01/31/15 at 06:32:51

I've used Goo Gone, not impressed. But, I didn't throw it away.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 01/31/15 at 18:21:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/31/15 at 06:32:51:
I've used Goo Gone, not impressed. But, I didn't throw it away.

no way... that stuff is the next best thing to duct tape.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:19:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front tire clearance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.