Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need some carburetor input... (Read 209 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Need some carburetor input...
Reply #15 - 01/29/15 at 21:09:07

Sounds pretty good...  although I think I'm hearing a few misses...
Steve's right,.. no response on the mix screw points to rich on the pilot...
...(mine don't respond to mix much either and I have a #50 pilot with a K/N filter...  we are up pretty high here in Tucson-at 2800ft)...

The popping sounds like an air leak in the exhaust...
Idle speed sounds good...

Don't idle longer than 10 minutes.... I'd keep it under 3... (it's air cooled, and it don't move a lot of oil at idle)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #16 - 01/30/15 at 05:04:24

What is the condition of the rubber boot between the carb and the cylinder head? A slight fold or a tear will cause popping and misfiring.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #17 - 01/30/15 at 08:06:09

Yeah, Im hearing the misses too. Also, there is a good chance it has an exhaust leak. The PO was a duct tape and JB Weld kind of mechanic(I think he must have gotten the JB Weld in bulk at Costco Grin) When I had the exhaust off to put the verslavy in it, I noticed at the exhaust port  what seems to be a large quantity of JB Weld on the head, underneath where the header pipe goes in; and the clamp for the pipe was mildly bent into a curved shape, but despite that, it all bolted on solid. Cant even imagine what the JB weld on the head is for, but due to the high mileage (51K) I have resigned myself to doing a top end sooner than later.

Tucson, huh? I am actually in Marana, but we like to think of it as North Tucson here Roll Eyes

Gary, the two boots on either side of the carb are in excellent condition...I should know, because I have had the carb on and off enough lately Roll Eyes Although compared to the Kawasaki KZ1000 I have also been having carb issues with, the carb on the Thumper is a walk in the park Tongue

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 01/30/15 at 08:28:50

Skiprrdog wrote on 01/30/15 at 08:06:09:
When I had the exhaust off to put the verslavy in it, I noticed at the exhaust port  what seems to be a large quantity of JB Weld on the head. Cant even imagine what the JB weld on the head is for, but due to the high mileage (51K) I have resigned myself to doing a top end sooner than later.

It sounds like the previous owner has attempted to solve a head plug leak...by jamming JB Weld in the bottom of the plug.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #19 - 01/30/15 at 10:07:16

Dave wrote on 01/30/15 at 08:28:50:
Skiprrdog wrote on 01/30/15 at 08:06:09:
When I had the exhaust off to put the verslavy in it, I noticed at the exhaust port  what seems to be a large quantity of JB Weld on the head. Cant even imagine what the JB weld on the head is for, but due to the high mileage (51K) I have resigned myself to doing a top end sooner than later.

It sounds like the previous owner has attempted to solve a head plug leak...by jamming JB Weld in the bottom of the plug.

Dave, you are probably correct. If that is the case, he must have succeeded, because it does not seem to be leaking. Will probably leave the correct fix for that when I do a top end, bigger fish to fry right now!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:21:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need some carburetor input...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.