Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine Case Refinishing (Read 132 times)
Drow
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine Case Refinishing
01/28/15 at 15:11:54

Has any one had any success refinishing the engine cases.  Stripping and polishing doesn't seem to be a problem.  I'm just not sure what to put on for a clear coat...auto paint clear coat?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Engine Case Refinishing
Reply #1 - 01/28/15 at 16:40:32

You don't have to clear coat the case. It will look better if you dont. But you will have to do an annual polish ( or more often if you ride in the rain). Clear coat can yellow and crack over time. It's a lot easier to simply polish then removing clear coat.

If you do clear coat, any automotive grade clear will do.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/29/15 at 03:23:57

I stripped my clear with paint stripper, sanded a bit with 320 on the corroded parts, then 400, 600, etc. - then buffed them and left them without any clear.  My bike is stored inside, gets ridden in the rain a couple times a year, gets washed about 6 times a year, and is mostly ridden in nice weather.  I never put the bike away wet - after washing it gets a thorough blow dry with the leaf blower in all the nooks and crannies, a towel dry, and then a 10 minute ride to get the engine warm and shake the water out of the wiring connectors and any place that holds water.

My aluminum is holding up fine, I do apply a polish a couple of times a year.  If your bike is stored outdoors in a humid area, you might want to clear coat.

IMG_0402_002.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 01/29/15 at 03:29:41

Dave:

Looks great!  Thanks for the detailed post.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/29/15 at 03:42:13

I also stripped my triple trees, wheel hubs, and the forks will be stripped and polished this winter.  I have a lot of aluminum to keep clean - but it looks great when shiny.

I have been trying to find something that can help to keep them from corroding - but so far every polish works about the same.  I bought some polish and sealer at an auto show a few weeks ago.....$ 35 for the show special that had two bottles of polish and one bottle of sealer.  The sealer is supposed to be applied every 6 months.  I had an extra pulley hub I polished and I used the new polish and sealer on it, then set it outside.  A flock of Starlings flew over and it got some "Bird Poo" on it....and it was etched under the poo.  I cleaned it up again, then applied a normal polish to half and the new sealer to the other half.  It has been sitting outside for a couple weeks....and I believe it is water spotted where the rain dries on the beaded up water - but I don't see any difference between the normal polish and the expensive sealer.

The good about not having any clear coat is that if you get a scratch...you can just sand it out and buff it away.  The bad is that you have to keep up with the polishing a few times a year to keep the aluminum from getting corroded and dull.  The aluminum castings on the Savage do have some color variation in the aluminum....so even when shiny you can see some swirls and color difference in the polished aluminum.

Next time I have a bit of clear mixed up for the base coat/clear coat paint, I will spray this pulley hub, set it outside, and see how it holds up.  Some of the aluminum polish I have says it has silicone in it to seal and protect the aluminum....so I have to be sure not to use that before I spray the clear.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 01/29/15 at 05:05:07

Sometime this year I would like to do an extremely thorough cleaning, detailing, and or refinishing of the entire bike.  It's going on 9 years old and could use it.  I don't want to make it look brand new, but it really could use some attention.  I'll keep an eye on this post and check the tech section as well.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #6 - 01/29/15 at 07:16:38

Dave:

Did you strip and polish the engine cases "in place" ?
Or did you remove them from the engine to do the work ?

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/29/15 at 07:40:12

The cases were removed, as the engine was taken completely apart and the center cases split.

You could do the polishing by just removing both cases and leaving the engine in the frame....it would be very hard to do the polishing with the cases still on the bike.

IP Logged
Drow
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/29/15 at 09:04:41

Thanks for the detailed responses.  I will probably leave it unfinished.  Besides I think it gives it more of an "old School" look and will compliment my bobber project nicely.  BTW: the paint remover works great at removing the old finish.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/29/15 at 09:26:39

If you're interested in a slightly different look, a small orbital sander with a Scotchbrite pad, leaves a nice pattern. Might have a shot at it on some hunk of aluminum layin around. I used a spray bottle of water along with it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 01/29/15 at 21:44:06

Dave wrote on 01/29/15 at 03:23:57:
I stripped my clear with paint stripper, sanded a bit with 320 on the corroded parts, then 400, 600, etc. - then buffed them and left them without any clear.  My bike is stored inside, gets ridden in the rain a couple times a year, gets washed about 6 times a year, and is mostly ridden in nice weather.  I never put the bike away wet - after washing it gets a thorough blow dry with the leaf blower in all the nooks and crannies, a towel dry, and then a 10 minute ride to get the engine warm and shake the water out of the wiring connectors and any place that holds water.

My aluminum is holding up fine, I do apply a polish a couple of times a year.  If your bike is stored outdoors in a humid area, you might want to clear coat.

Dave is the pic of your motor a old one or have you pulled it out again?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 01/30/15 at 04:16:13

Old photo from the archives.  The engine is running well and I have put about 5,000 miles on it since the upgrades were installed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:28:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Case Refinishing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.