Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
LED for running lights
01/28/15 at 09:40:53

I have used these LED lights from SuperBright LED to replace the inadequate bulbs in my aftermarket turn signals, and they worked great.  I used 2 bulbs in each turn signal, and they are far brighter than most aftermarket turns signals - they actually work well even in full sunlight.  They most likely are very similar to the white running light LED's that Audi and several other car manufacturers are using on their cars - but being a single bulb will most likely not make it as visible in the daytime as a full string of lights.  Each bulb is already wired for 12 v, it uses 1.5 watt, and the housing is waterproof and has adhesive foam tape on the backside for mounting to a flat (or nearly flat) surface.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-light-modules/plm-series-wired-o...

Unfortunately they are only available in a few shades of white, so they are  not suitable for running lights on the sides or rear of your bike.  However - I recently found out the lens is held on by a threaded collar, and you can put a piece of colored film behind the lens if you want to change the color.  I used a piece of red electrical tape that I used GooGone to take the adhesive off the tape.  I then used a gasket hole punch to make a few small red discs.

The lights have a diameter just a bit larger than a nickel.

And the lights are very bright and would make very good running lights, supplemental brake lights or supplemental turn signals.  I am not convinced that they are bright enough to use as turn signals alone - however 2 of them behind a yellow lens seem to work really well on my bike.

I did run one of these lights for about 2 hours in my office this morning, and it does get pretty hot to the touch.  Not so hot that it will burn you if you happen to touch it - but hotter than you would want to squeeze tightly in your hand.  I took the light apart after that period of time and the red plastic was not stuck onto the lens or LED - but it did have a slight dark spot in the exact center where the LED would have been the hottest.  Maybe over time the red film would decay from the heat....it might be best to get a film that is used in stage spotlights and designed to resist heat.

So....just one more LED option for your customizing bag of tricks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:23:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › LED for running lights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.