Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oik leak (Read 111 times)
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

oik leak
01/28/15 at 03:50:49

Well i noticed when i got hokw from work there was a oil puddle under my bike..it was coming from the crank case vent..i know the bike isnt overfilled with oil, the only thing i did today was put  my chain conversion on my bike... kinda ran it a little hard but nothing un usaul

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: oik leak
Reply #1 - 01/28/15 at 04:05:55

OK....we don't know anything about your bike.....it is impossible to make any informed comment.  Do you have the stock air cleaner, where does your crankcase vent hose connect, is your bike stock?

On a stock bike the vent goes from the top of the engine to the front of the air box.  There is a small chamber in the air box that allows the vapors to go into the air stream and be burned - any liquid settles into the bottom of the chamber.  There is a drain tube that goes from the air box down to the bottom of the bike just behind the engine crankcase.  That tube is supposed to have a plastic plug in it - and you pull that plug and drain the oil/water out of the air box when you change your oil.  Then you replace the plug in the drain hose and tuck the hose back up in the frame.

If you run the Savage engine hard, it does create more crankcase vapors and the air box does get more oil in it....and the engine may actually burn more oil as well.  Running on the interstate at 70-80 mph for extended periods does require you to add crankcase oil more frequently than it does if you ride slower.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/28/15 at 11:35:00

Only thing done to my bike is a blue collar bobber drag pipe and my chain  conversion..everything is still routed  from the factory..its the hose on the very bottom of the bike that it was coming from, under the motor

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/28/15 at 12:09:37

Does that hose have the plastic plug in it?  The hose is not supposed to be open all the time - only when you want to drain the "oik" out of it.

If the plug is not in the end of the hose....it will drip for a while just about every time you park the bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/28/15 at 15:24:24

Dave misses nothing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/29/15 at 17:29:54

Fixed it. Was coming from the output shaft seal..sprocket got loose and it stated leaking

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/30/15 at 04:21:49

corey v84 wrote on 01/29/15 at 17:29:54:
Fixed it. Was coming from the output shaft seal..sprocket got loose and it stated leaking

Oooooh!  Be very careful that you never allow that sprocket nut to get loose.  We have had a couple of bikes on this forum where the nut got loose, and the output shaft was trashed.  This makes for a very labor intensive repair, as you have to tear the engine completely apart to split the cases and replace that shaft.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/30/15 at 06:13:23

Once the oik states leaking, sometimes it won't stop.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
corey v84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/30/15 at 11:42:59

Well I guess I got lucky and caught it in time! Went ahead and got a new seal just in case

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 01/30/15 at 16:40:41

Man, you're no fun... I'm over here busting my tail, TRYING to pick on you and you're just NOT letting me,  
Good idea getting a seal and being ready. I don't know if the case side hasta come off to change it, But, if it does, you might wanna see about getting a gasket, or a source, time to get it, figured out. You will have some time, if you see a drop,, you'll know what is gonna need to be done..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:20:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oik leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.