Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Be carefull riding the Dragon (Read 66 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Be carefull riding the Dragon
01/27/15 at 22:11:43

Just seen this today on yahoo news....not sure when it happened, its from the Jukin' site.

https://screen.yahoo.com/motorcycle-rider-falls-off-cliff-234717798.html

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Be carefull riding the Dragon
Reply #1 - 01/27/15 at 23:15:34

Steep slope, all dirt and grass, fallen limbs, challenging, but not my idea of Falling off a cliff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 01/28/15 at 01:25:05

Thing is.... it looked like after he was 3/4's through his turn, he started to goose it a little and his front wheel slipped out..
Must have hit some loose dirt or something....weird....
The guy near the end of the video recognized that turn from the Harley video, where the guy just drives straight off into it.

I came close to "over riding" once while I was there on my 300 ninja... I had a guy on a super sport coming up on me fast at every turn.
I would beat him through the turns and get a little jump on him, but he would catch me fast.
So I let off and jumped over to one of the side spots to get out of his way, and almost run out of blacktop....was a pretty short pull over.
I was looking at about 4" of blacktop left, then 2 feet of dirt and a drop of about 20 feet....
Needless to say, I slowed up a little after that. Shocked Smiley Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/28/15 at 02:30:59

Please be careful when you come here in April as well.

No, it ain't the Dragon.. but ....

https://goo.gl/maps/AAG0U

As far as I know, that is just for that portion of the Twisted Sisters..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/28/15 at 03:35:37

That video has been around for a while.....it is available on YouTube as well.  Lots and lots of discussion there about what happened - but it appears to me his front wheel went into a deep gouge in the pavement when he was banked over and adding throttle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0aXvGLO1nE

The Dragon does have a lot of mishaps....bikes and cars both.  Some are a result of folks drifting over the center line and colliding, some are folks pushing the limits and going too fast, some are a result of taking corners too quick on Cruiser or Touring bikes with low floorboards, luggage, frames and mufflers.

The Dragon can be ridden safely - but you have to stay in your lane, keep well away from the center line when you can't see who might be coming at you from the other direction, and ride within your limits.  You also have  to be ready to swerve or stop in a hurry if the oncoming traffic is taking up some (or all) of your lane.  Bikes don't often drift over the centerline in corners - it happens all the time when the SUV loaded down with family and luggage doesn't anticipate just how tight the corner is and can't stay in their lane.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/28/15 at 08:24:35

I find sufficient excitement with locals who crest hills and make blind curves Sharing my lane. Why we have not seen some real wrecks,,, IDK. SO far, just one VW in a ditch. I know where my right front tire IS, I stay on the edge of the road unless a pothole requires that I scoot in. I've turned around and chased people down to talk to them at the stop sign. I've taken company names and called the office. One idiot crested a hill and pulled 1/2way off the road and stopped. Yeah, his phone was getting good reception,, I managed to not hit him. Pulled over, walked back, told him to move. I hadda wait a while,was getting ready to go back and help him when he decided to scoot off the road.
I LIKE some places, sadly, many people also like them and I dislike dealing with them more than I like being in those nice places.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:31:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Be carefull riding the Dragon

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.