Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A little thank you goes a long way (hopefully) (Read 161 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
A little thank you goes a long way (hopefully)
01/27/15 at 08:38:19

If you encounter someone providing good customer service, try and make an effort to tell them "Thank You."   We live in such an 'entitlement' world full of lazy a$$e$, that it is getting more and more infrequent that we experience people that actually take pride in what they do and treat paying customers like humans.

Depending on the situation, I may;
- Leave a good tip if it's a restaurant, and I make sure to hand it directly to the waiter/waitress and thank them for taking good care of us.
- In the grocery store I have tracked down the shift manager and thanked them for efforts of their staff and to make sure that they recognize them.
- If it's a web-based transaction (or non-local business) I will try and locate their boss and send an email.
- If it's a local business of some sort, I'll make sure to verbally and genuinely tell them thank you for taking the time to help me (usually this happens in a local business versus the big box stores).
- Etc.
- Etc.

You may just be the only thing that brightens that person's day.   Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: A little thank you goes a long way (hopefully)
Reply #1 - 01/27/15 at 09:01:43

Having had jobs where the public and I were face to face AND not liking it I find myself very aware of the situation that Other Person is in. Being gentle with them,not demanding, comes easier now. I get average service, I say little, crummy, might mention it to the person, horrible, the manager.
Same rule applies to better than average service.. tips speak volumes, and sometimes, a bigger than warranted tip for the one who is having a bad day.
Don't kick them while they are down. I TALK to people and get a sense of their general attitude..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/27/15 at 09:43:36

I amazed at how nice, helpful, and friendly so many people are in the retail and service industries...

I'd be a total snot if had to deal with the people they do every day... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/27/15 at 10:22:29

And being nice to someone....can benefit you as well!

I had an evening meeting, and just stopped by Colonel Sanders on the way.  I didn't have a lot of time, and just wanted something quick and cheap.  The dress code for the employees at that restaurant included ball caps, and not everyone can wear a ball cap well.  The middle aged woman that waited on me for some reason knew how to wear a ball cap....and it looked as if it was a part of her daily wardrobe.  As I placed my order I told her that most women could not wear a ball cap, and that she wore it great and looked very nice in it - I just thought she should know.

I got my order in a few minutes, went out t the car and opened the little carry out box to get my food - You could not have shoved any more food in that box if you had tried!

We both ended up smiling the rest of the evening! Grin    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 01/27/15 at 11:58:42

Dave wrote on 01/27/15 at 10:22:29:
and not everyone can wear a ball cap well.

Well said  Roll Eyes  iknowhatchamean

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #5 - 01/27/15 at 17:35:53

stewmills wrote on 01/27/15 at 08:38:19:
If you encounter someone providing good customer service, try and make an effort to tell them "Thank You."  

You may just be the only thing that brightens that person's day.   Wink

Very good post Stewmills!  I absolutely agree.  We are always ready to get mad if something's not good enough, but take it for granted when all is well!

I was at the Giant Eagle (grocery store) the other day.  There was a 16 year old kid runnig back and forth, bagging on 2 lines.  After he was done with ours I looked him in the eye and said "Thank you!"  He got a big smile on his face.  

Poor kid probably used to being ignored by everybody unless he smooshes their bread!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 01/27/15 at 18:06:10

Most folks yell at you about smashin the bread BEFORE you even start bagging it lol
You made that kid's day
Tip: Some groceries allow tipping the sackers

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/27/15 at 19:00:58

Art Webb wrote on 01/27/15 at 18:06:10:
Tip: Some groceries allow tipping the sackers

The best tip I could give 'm would be... give up the day job and go back to school.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 01/27/15 at 20:29:53

and pay for it exactly how, without an income?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 01/28/15 at 09:37:35

Serowbot wrote on 01/27/15 at 09:43:36:
I amazed at how nice, helpful, and friendly so many people are in the retail and service industries...

I'd be a total snot if had to deal with the people they do every day... Grin...

I work in the hospitality industry sometimes it is tough
last sat nite a guest was complaining to the front desk that he couldn't park his hummer right out his door
front desk couldn't find the moving van driver and called me before her frustration level peaked
went out and found the guest as I was walking up to the van he started to get irate telling me I had to move my van..im in uniform and told him no less than 3 times it wasn't mine
"well you said it was"
he ended up grabbing my arm and cussing at me I jerked away from him and told him I didn't need to listen to "that"
went back to the desk and was telling my side when he came in and wanted to fill out a complaint for me not listening to him..

"some peoples kids" is my motto  

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/28/15 at 09:46:19

TC

Well,sir, after you grabbed my arm and started cursing.....

If he didn't deny grabbing you,  you could have filled out a Complaint Form of a more powerful kind.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 01/28/15 at 10:38:20

thumperclone wrote on 01/28/15 at 09:37:35:
"well you said it was"
he ended up grabbing my arm and cussing at me I jerked away from him and told him I didn't need to listen to "that"
went back to the desk and was telling my side when he came in and wanted to fill out a complaint for me not listening to him..

This where the "look" and quickly drawn cell phone with a "siri dial 911" should've scaled back the incident.
I don't have it set up that way, a bluff is sometimes enough.
But issues with irate customers would be preemptive to video tape if I were not likely to be the aggressor in the situation.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 01/28/15 at 19:18:14

Yup, its the "i have more stuff than you syndrome", or the "you work for me syndrome".
See it all the time down here in vacation land.
Funny thing is, I used to wear dickies all the time because I used to do window and door work.
Once while coming back from a friends house I parked next to a condo to go up to the fifth floor deck bar.
Old guy in the parking lot yells "hey you! come here!" Being the nice guy that I am, I trundled over.
He then proceeds to point at his trunk and say "i need these brought up to my suite on the fourth floor" and proceeds to walk away from the open trunk of his car toward the elevator.
I looked at his bags, left them and followed, leaving the trunk wide open Smiley, when we got to the elevator, he pressed 4 and I reached around him and pressed 5.
He gave me the meanest look and asked me "you looking to get fired?", the elevator opened and I got in, he did a double take of me and the parking lot, and the doors closed.
About 2 hours later i'm still out on the bar deck, he comes walking into the bar and asked the bartender how I kept my job treating customers like I do (the bartender jeff filled me in later).
The Bartender asked him if he lived in one of the multimillion dollar houses along the gulf.... he say says no.... the bartender says, "then you ain't one of his customers, better buy him a drink and oppologize"

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 01/28/15 at 20:40:05

good one old rider. i love to see folks with money (or a boastful outward appearance of) show their a$$ and then realize they made a fool of themself. kinda reminds me of one of my bosses that think they are smarter than the world despite running the business in the ground.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 01/29/15 at 11:00:10

So I finally made it to the stealership today to get new front rubber. Was kinda dreading it but needed to pony up and get it done and just spend the money and just deal with them. The normal guys were at lunch and one of the guys from the back was working the front. I was really nice to him and said what I needed, he went in the back and found a Kenda that fit, gave me a fair price (while we chatted about other stuff) and I agreed to the deal.  I was expecting to leave it for a day and he asked me if I just wanted to wait for a few minutes and they would go ahead and throw it on for me. Maybe they were just slow, or maybe me being nice and asking him how he was doing and such made him want to help me out a little (he was already nice before I really said anything). Anyhow...

So, he said no worries and to give them a few minutes, and shortly thereafter out came my new rubber ready to go  Cool

I made sure to thank the tech that helped me as well as the manager for their kindness and quick work as I was leaving and told them I would be back for the back tire soon.

I wouldn't consider myself a 'regular' yet but a little friendliness seems to be helping me feel like less of an 'outsider' at the shop as we're getting to be better acquainted.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:30:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › A little thank you goes a long way (hopefully)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.