Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new speedo (Read 131 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
new speedo
01/27/15 at 06:44:21

hi everyone, could anyone please recommend a mini speedo with a black face and stainless steel casing ( in mph please ) most of the ones I can see are kph not stainless and/or runs from wheel not engine,sorry for being so picky buy it needs to match the tacho and I'm competely OCPD with a side order of perfctionism,cheers all and good luck to everyone suffering from the snow storms at present

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: new speedo
Reply #1 - 01/27/15 at 10:14:52

Google Baron Bullet, they are dear. Don't know if the Ryca ones are stainless. Also try Catalyst Cycles and JP Cycles.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #2 - 01/27/15 at 10:59:26

Thanks jc would go chrome at a push as long as the quality was good

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #3 - 01/27/15 at 11:59:02

just bought one from RYCA  - I've bought that much from USA ( cos you've got all the cool stuff and you still talk in real measurements ) that what with import duties and postage it'd be cheaper to move there  Smiley cheers all

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 01/27/15 at 18:59:19

You know your speedo will be off if your bike is stock

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #5 - 01/28/15 at 02:58:03

By how much Yoshi ? will it read faster or slower ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/28/15 at 05:51:03

Steddy58 wrote on 01/28/15 at 02:58:03:
By how much Yoshi ? will it read faster or slower ?

Here is some info that may help:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1411572754/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345772898

If you truly are "I'm completely OCPD with a side order of perfectionism", then it is going to be very hard to find a mechanical speedometer that will satisfy you.  If you get one that reads correctly - you will be very lucky as most folks have to put up with some error.

The Acewell speedometer is electronic and does have a stainless or chrome housing (not sure which one), and the electronic stuff can be programmed for your use - but the display is a bit too "Carnival" looking for my taste.

I had a Vapor Trail Tech and it is accurate, has a lot of useful information like engine temp, time, trip odometer, etc. - but it is modern looking and has a digital display.

This winter I am going to go with a more vintage look and use a Speedhut GPS speedometer.  The housing is black - the gauge face, numbers and dials can be ordered in several styles and colors, and the bezel can be ordered in chrome, several styles of silver or black.
Here is a 1948 Vincent (HRD) that has a look that I think would work for me.

I ordered a Speedhut GPS gauge with the tach and speedometer in the same housing.  It is the large one with a 4.5 inch gauge, and I ordered a black gauge face with red letters to match my bike. 

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #7 - 01/28/15 at 10:03:14

Having read that Dave perfection is not going to happen to be legal its needs to be +/- 10 per cent  I think - hopefully that will be achievable. Are the figures in the speed chart in the tech section what I should be reading i.e. @ 3900 revs in !st I should be doing about 22ish mph and @ 4550 revs in 3rd I should be doing 52/53 is that how to read it ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/28/15 at 10:12:37

Steddy58 wrote on 01/28/15 at 10:03:14:
Having read that Dave perfection is not going to happen to be legal its needs to be +/- 10 per cent  I think - hopefully that will be achievable. Are the figures in the speed chart in the tech section what I should be reading i.e. @ 3900 revs in !st I should be doing about 22ish mph and @ 4550 revs in 3rd I should be doing 52/53 is that how to read it ?

Well....as long as you don't change the rear tire size or the pulley gearing.  (Note that the chart indicates the actual speed - not what the inaccurate stock speedometer will read).

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #9 - 01/28/15 at 10:24:34

OK Dave thanks for that p.s just had a quick look at rear tyre and its 140 x 90 -15 would this alter reading much ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/28/15 at 11:37:33

Steddy58 wrote on 01/28/15 at 10:24:34:
OK Dave thanks for that p.s just had a quick look at rear tyre and its 140 x 90 -15 would this alter reading much ?

As Serowbot indicated in the charts he posted...the larger tire helps to correct the inaccuracy of the stock speedometer.

I have no idea what it would do with an aftermarket speedo.  There is a thread where forum member mpescatori commented about the inaccuracy of his aftermarket speedo, and I can't find that thread without a bunch of searching.

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #11 - 01/28/15 at 11:57:48

No problem Dave, just had a reply from RYCA and Ryan said that the speedo I've ordered will run fine as its the exact same ratio as stock 2240/60 - to be honest the numbers dont mean much to me but if thats what he says then fair enough and as you say perfect is hard to come by then it will just have to be ish and hopefully not too far off,cheers mate

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/28/15 at 12:48:16

Dave wrote on 01/28/15 at 11:37:33:
I have no idea what it would do with an aftermarket speedo.  There is a thread where forum member mpescatori commented about the inaccuracy of his aftermarket speedo, and I can't find that thread without a bunch of searching.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1389702212/0

WWW   IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #13 - 01/28/15 at 14:47:16

Thanks for that Verslagen1 have now added a GPS speedo to my phone so I'll try to see with that how accurate everything is

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:20:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new speedo

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.