Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Electrical problem after rebuild (Read 90 times)
Lojim
YaBB Newbies

Every man needs a
place to retreat

Mechanicsburg, PA
Electrical problem after rebuild
01/26/15 at 19:49:42

im going to try to make this as to the point as I can. Basically, was finishing up my bobber build. Prior to the work everything functioned fine. During the rebuild I kept all the factory wiring, just splicing in some extensions as needed testing all connections.

Wired the bike back up with no tins. Turned on the key, lights came on. Hit the starter, engine turned over. Was not tank so of course it didn't run. At that point I turned my attention to the tins and buttoned everything up.

Went to fire it up, turned the key and popped a fuse. Checked all my wires and other connections - nothing broken, bare, or melted. After some choice words I disconnected the ignitor box. Turned on the key, lights and everything works but it won't turn on (cranks but won't fire) which is what I expected.

Can the ignitor box just go bad like that? Is there a way to test it? Would it cause me to pop fuses?

Other question - may or may not be related. My right side front turn signal will blink, but won't run a steady light. Yes I checked the bulb. It worked fine when I tested my wiring before installing the tins. Also, the brake light will not engage with the foot pedal. Again, worked fine before the tins. Also works fine with the hand brake.

Oh, and a quick overview shot from a bad cell phone. I'll get more pics when I can get it outside in the daylight.

...someone tell my wife I'm not crazy...

2003 Suzuki Savage 650
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Electrical problem after rebuild
Reply #1 - 01/26/15 at 21:26:28

did you leave the power on over night?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1293638302/0

WWW   IP Logged
Lojim
YaBB Newbies

Every man needs a
place to retreat

Mechanicsburg, PA
Reply #2 - 01/27/15 at 03:11:56

verslagen1 wrote on 01/26/15 at 21:26:28:

I did not, but I'm going to give it a sniff and maybe open it up to see....thanks!

2003 Suzuki Savage 650
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/27/15 at 03:58:04

The front running light has a supply wire to the left and right side.....use a volt meter and test to see if you are getting voltage to both sides.  If you do, then the running light wire to that side must have an issue.

For the rear brake light switch - take the connector apart and run a jumper wire between the two wires, and see if the light works.  If it does then there is an issue with the switch...maybe just needs adjusted to get the switch to move far enough to active the switch, or something is wrong with the switch.  If jumping the wires does not get the brake light to work...then you need to start checking for a loose or broken wire.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Lojim
YaBB Newbies

Every man needs a
place to retreat

Mechanicsburg, PA
Reply #4 - 01/27/15 at 06:09:24

Dave wrote on 01/27/15 at 03:58:04:
The front running light has a supply wire to the left and right side.....use a volt meter and test to see if you are getting voltage to both sides.  If you do, then the running light wire to that side must have an issue.

For the rear brake light switch - take the connector apart and run a jumper wire between the two wires, and see if the light works.  If it does then there is an issue with the switch...maybe just needs adjusted to get the switch to move far enough to active the switch, or something is wrong with the switch.  If jumping the wires does not get the brake light to work...then you need to start checking for a loose or broken wire.

Thanks for these too! Hopefully it's something easy to find.

2003 Suzuki Savage 650
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/27/15 at 07:11:00

Lojim wrote on 01/27/15 at 03:11:56:
verslagen1 wrote on 01/26/15 at 21:26:28:

I did not, but I'm going to give it a sniff and maybe open it up to see....thanks!

If you got spark I wouldn't think that be the problem.

you got spark?

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 01/27/15 at 07:15:32

Just to check your work, run a continuity check on your harness mods to ensure that you haven't wired a direct short. Popping fuses upon application of power is a good sign that there's a dead short.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Lojim
YaBB Newbies

Every man needs a
place to retreat

Mechanicsburg, PA
Reply #7 - 01/29/15 at 18:37:09

Well after some testing, hunting, yelling, crying, and bullshitting I found that my ignitor was in fact bad AND I had a smoked from the starter solinoid. So....new (to me) wiring harness, solinoid, ignitor, and a couple other odds and ends have been sourced and are on the way. Should be here by next weekend so I can get all the issues squared away.

2003 Suzuki Savage 650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:17:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical problem after rebuild

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.