Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Petcock leak
01/24/15 at 13:56:12

Hey guys,

Just before I parked my bike for the winter I noticed the petcock leaking.  No surprise right!?

I have taken the bike apart now the tanks off, carb and petcock.  I noticed there was flaking paint on the seal of the petcock as seen in the picture.  

I am hoping that is what is causing the leak.  Would you recommend another way of testing the petcock for leaks with it off of the tank or with it back on the tank without fueling it up?

Thanks!

photo_1_007.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Petcock leak
Reply #1 - 01/24/15 at 14:28:04

That flaky paint seems a likely culprit...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Petcock leak
Reply #2 - 01/24/15 at 17:35:32

Clean up the area where the seal sits, clean up the petcock,ever so gently with the o_ring type seal, you can install the tank, then the petcock, that's how I'd do it,, you Can put the petcock in first,, no biggie. Once you have the leaking stopped,then we can deal with the paint, lack of, potential rust issues..  I think it's easier to install the petcock on a mounted tank..
There's always a quart of Ospho in the shop. Dilute phosphoric acid,from Kelly Moore Paint Store. Turns iron oxide to iron phosphate..
They have a gel,, it's lousy. Get the liquid. Recently changed the name, not Ospho anymore,, I think,, but, same stuff,, cheap, about six bucks a quart, and they last for years.. dab here,dab there...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:27:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petcock leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.