Send Topic Print
gas tank install (Read 136 times)
USAirman1993
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

gas tank install
01/24/15 at 10:12:39

Is there a trick to getting the gas tank back on the bike? No matter how many times I try the bolt holes just don't seem to line up the tank holes are about a half inch off from lining up with the frame bolts. The tank is going on the rubber bumpers. TIA Huh

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: gas tank install
Reply #1 - 01/24/15 at 10:20:57

try a little grease on the rubbers.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/24/15 at 10:22:25

Trickiest part with the stock pet, is getting it around the frame...
Other than that,... try getting the rear of the tank low and pushing forward...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
USAirman1993
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/24/15 at 12:35:15

I have a raptor and it's not in the way and the tank goes on the knobs easily the holes are just a little off.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 01/24/15 at 14:33:41

You probably aren't lining up the tank with the rubber spacers just right.  With everything in the right position it slides into position fairly easily.  Double check you don't have any wires or anything else that are going to snag on the tank as well.  

Even after taking mine on/off a bunch of times I can't always do it correctly the first time.   Huh

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/24/15 at 16:34:54

Be sure that the holes line up before you put in the bolts.....don't push on the bracket and spring it into place.  When the bracket is stressed like that, eventually it will crack the tank and cause a hard to repair leak.

The tank or petcock or rubber mounts or something is hanging up....the hole should line up just like they did when you took the tank off.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #6 - 01/25/15 at 04:34:22

Check your wiring bundles.... make sure you're not hanging up on one of them. they can wedge in and make it feel like the tank is in nice and solid, but it will be in the wrong place.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/25/15 at 18:24:20

Well I am going to ask this here since its kinda the same subject but I took my tank off to find a wiring problem and noticed my tank was cracked where it bolts to the frame on the tank right in the bend. has anyone else had this problem? all four of rubber shock absorbers/grommets where still on and look and good shape

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/26/15 at 03:35:50

T.Claiborne13 wrote on 01/25/15 at 18:24:20:
Well I am going to ask this here since its kinda the same subject but I took my tank off to find a wiring problem and noticed my tank was cracked where it bolts to the frame on the tank right in the bend. has anyone else had this problem? all four of rubber shock absorbers/grommets where still on and look and good shape

Yes, the tank mount can crack and break.  Most often it is because there was some stress on it....and over time the vibration caused it to crack.  Sometimes it cracks the tank as well, and the owners finds the crack because the tank started dripping fuel.

Welding is the only proper repair.  If the crack is only on the mount tab, it can be welded pretty easily.  If the crack is under the tab and on the tank it is much harder to weld....and requires cutting the tab off, welding the tank then welding the tab back on.

Welding on motorcycle fuel tanks is not as hard as on big tanks with baffles in them - the tank takes very little time to clean and dry.  Dump the fuel out...remove the cap and petcock....and let it air out for a week if the tank is clean inside.  If it has varnish and rust then go to the Tech Section and read up on how to clean a rusty tank.  Set the tank in the sun outdoors when possible, put an aquarium pump hose inside if you have one......let it air out until you can' t smell fuel anymore.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #9 - 01/26/15 at 03:41:23

To Dave's comments I'll add:

Only to be welded by a good welder. Not "good enough"... good. Because a poor weld may hold for a while, but will just make a bigger mess later down the road. Then when you take it to a good welder, he'll be mad at you because he has to un-do the previous bad job before he can start fxing it right.

My father was a welder for 30+ years... I learned a few things from him.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/27/15 at 17:32:37

Alright thank you for the info. We have a bottle of Co2 at school for this occasion at school when we do aircraft gas tanks. The tank looks good on the inside. I kinda thought about maybe redoing it with  .50s aluminum

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:19:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas tank install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.