Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Air filter upgrade options? (Read 214 times)
Cobradagua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Air filter upgrade options?
01/24/15 at 09:48:56

could anyone shed some light on air filter upgrades? Model/type etc...any for sale?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Air filter upgrade options?
Reply #1 - 01/25/15 at 04:51:08

What is your idea of an "upgrade"?  What are you wanting to accomplish.....better performance or the "pod" look?

The stock paper air cleaner filters well, and flows enough air for the stock engine.  Cleaning involves blowing it out with compressed air.

You can put a K&N filter into the stock air box.  It probably flows more air, not sure if you will notice any difference in performance with the K&N alone.  Cleaning involves using a solvent, letting it dry, then oiling the filter with the proper filter oil from K&N.  Some of reported the filter doesn't fit the air box very well.

Pod filter most likely don't flow any better than the K&N - plus they can get wet in the rain and when you wash the bike.  Same cleaning issues as the K&N drop in - plus you most likely will have to re-jet the carb.  Same cleaning issues as the K&N.  Some pods block the vent on the upper side of the carb inlet.....and the bike runs poorly until you figure out the pod filter is the cause.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 01/25/15 at 14:58:10

Dave's assessment of the KN drop-in filter is very accurate.  I will add just a bit more because I'm very pleased with mine.  I think it makes a noticeable difference and everything feels much more responsive.  It is easy to clean with the KN cleaner and oil.  In the long run it will probably save you some money as well.  Yes, it does not fit as good as the stock and I'm sure some air goes around the sides instead of through it.  But, I still recommend it.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 01/25/15 at 21:15:15

don't use solvent on k&n filters
dish soap and warm water, rinse ,  natural air dry not with a compressor,
re oil,done

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/25/15 at 22:18:52

Mine didn't fit the airbox well. I hadda build up places with epoxy. Had it been perfect I would have been better off staying with stock.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #5 - 01/26/15 at 03:24:03

Stupid question... but if conical filters can get wet, could you enclose them? Build a tube around them, so that it sucks the air in from the back? Obviously I'm thinking large diameter here... but that would keep the water off the filter. Hmmmm.... may have to try this myself as my bike is already set up with a conical.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/26/15 at 03:45:34

Did you or a previous owner remove the stock air box?  Knowing a little bit more about what you have will help guide you what to do.

Yes, you can put the cone filter in a place where it is protected.

My bike has a foam air cleaner that is tucked between the side body panels.  Other folks have mounted the cone filters back where the stock air box was.  This way it is protected by the seat from above, and the body side panels on the sides.  If you have remove the battery box and side panels....then you might have to build something.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/26/15 at 05:14:19

I don't know if anyone has proven any performance improvements by going to a smaller filter with little or no volume between filter element and carb.
Airflow through the motor is a pulse. Having at least the cylinder volume between the filter and carb allows the engine to inhale without having to drag so much of that pulse through the filter.
I looked at a car the other day and on the intake inlet,out front of the air filter box is a empty box,

Spend time reading about intake design theory. Everyone focuses on the exhaust being free, and yes, that is good,BUT, at least the exhaust has a piston to SHOVE the spent stuff out. Intake is dependent on air flowing into a low pressure area.. and the carb needs that flow to run through it right to do its best job of mixing fuel into it.

I modified my airbox to have more volume between filter and carb..
The stage 1 cam and Supertrap exhaust gave me a bike that was ALL the bike I needed. I did break the 100 MPH line one time, temperature and humidity matched the jetting and everything worked on That Day..
All this to say..

Don't be in a hurry. Get at least 5,000 miles on it. Study it and this place.
Learn to set valves, get the air mix exposed,tune that.

Never pull the plug without blowing the crud from the cavity it sits in first.
I wish I would have kept the stock filter and gone with the Dyna muffler.
I would still do the fork brace.There is much to learn, enjoy the ride, don't get in a hurry to make changes,spending gas and tire money and wasting riding time... I did..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 01/27/15 at 17:59:58

Amen, the most satisfying mod I ever did to a bike was to install and remove fuel (fill and ride)

IP Logged
jorge__mendez

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/27/15 at 20:09:19

Taking advantage of this post.

I got this savage without the stock filter box and side panels and battery box. What options do I have if I want to use just a cone shape filter? should I make some side panels to protect the filter?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 01/27/15 at 21:49:06

Look to some Ryca mod. guys and see if you can get the parts to go back to stock?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air filter upgrade options?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.