Pushing my luck...... (Read 66 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Pushing my luck......
01/24/15 at 08:41:19

Dang, coming home from work yesterday they almost get me, twice....as cars decided to  just come over into my lane  Angry

Both times the bike responded great, as the road was wet and raining.
It, the rain, might have been why the folks just came over, as their vision was obscured somewhat.

The first incident I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to avoid the right rear quarter-panel to allow this idiot in, the bike fishtailed but never lost it tracking......
Then, when he saw me, as I had dropped back enough behind him that my headlight had effect, he jerked sharply back into his own lane...
I applied throttle and passed him as I glanced at him, he would not even look at me.

I didn't get rowdy, or flip him off, but I wonder why some folks can't acknowledge their mistakes and own them?

A nice "sorry"  lip read can sooth many emotions.

I do love the way this bikes behaves quickly when it has to, I can't imagine having to toss a few more hundred pounds, and higher COG, around without a few consequences.....
To me, this is why this bike in so appropriate, as a crowded commuter, even tho I don't look cool riding her  Grin  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Pushing my luck......
Reply #1 - 01/24/15 at 08:45:34

It's cool not to crash... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/24/15 at 09:50:26

Yeah,weather plays a role, but maybe in a way you have not considered.
Cagers run over bikes all the time, BUT , when the weather is BAD, they are not even LOOKING for them, because they don't expect anyone to be riding.
So, the very time you NEED them to be acutely aware of that Single headlight, they are looking for Two.
Now, you saw where you were, where they were, all of it.

Could you have used lane position to be more visible? Move back and forth, switch from high to low beam, flip on the flashers, Be Seen..
You know when they are in a spot to move over on you,, get away..
Do you piddled around next to 18wheelers when you are passing them?
I don't, not even in a car, because I know what a blow out does. I've been driving when they happened and I KNOW people would have died had anyone been in the wrong place.
If you're THERE and they run over you, yeah, it's " Their Fault", but you're still scared or hurt or dead, so pay attention, spend as little time as possible in that vulnerable spot and try to use all of the tools you have to make them see you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 01/24/15 at 10:12:38

raydawg wrote on 01/24/15 at 08:41:19:
tho I don't look cool riding her  Grin  

YOU don't look cool riding her? Too bad.  Sad

I look cool riding mine!!  Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/24/15 at 11:04:08

And you look a lot COOLER riding through a scary moment on a lighter,responsive bike than you'd look crashed on a Big Fat "Look at me,I'm riding a bike that's too heavy to maneuver quickly" bike. Check the stats. IIRC, the big bikes go down less often, but when they do, the end results are typically worse.
I know it's not fair and it sucks the joy out of the part of the ride where you have to share the road with a bunch of people, but you're gonna hafta watch their heads as they drive. You have to be aware of the traffic opening up and giving them a place to go, even IF you're already in that slot. We all know what we do as we prepare to change lanes, watch drivers heads,,
And if someone is at a stop and Might be about to pull out on you, look at them, change lane position, flip lites, look at the top of the front tire.. If the car is barely moving, the top of the tires are moving twice as fast,
I still think it would be good to be able to get their attention with a paintball gun..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 01/24/15 at 16:31:59

Yeah.... we just had a car pull in front of a motorcycle on tommy lane (access road to my house) Friday....

Driver says he did not see the bike coming,

We have a divided highway (state highway 98) that runs the coastline and is the only roadway to travel east and west here, most times you have to hurry across to the north side because the traffic is so heavy.

The rider did not survive..... sent condolences to his family... didn't know the guy.... but I always think "it could have happened to me"...

Good thing you were on your toes!!!  I always practice the "what if" scenario every time I ride.... always "what if this guy pulls out", "what if she don't see me and gets in my lane", "what if this guy slams on his brake"....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 01/25/15 at 18:44:55

Completely agree! I don't mean to sound negative but I always assume the guy closest to me is going to do something stupid that would cause me harm. I run through different scenarios in my mind and put myself out of harm's way before anything happens.

Ride safe!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/25/15 at 19:01:16

Ridind makes you a better driver, when you have to get in a cage, because you have to always watch other drivers while you ride
My ex was always amazed how accurately I could predict a dumb move by another driver, after riding most of my life
"how did you know that guy was gonna do that?"
"I just did"
It comes of course from awareness and reading body language (including the car's) but it's so instinctive now I couldn't tell you the specific think that tips me off anymore, I just read cues subconsciously and KNOW

You'll get to that point before you know it
Listen to the advice given here, and keep learning

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #8 - 01/25/15 at 19:05:44

I really think the average driver, both car and motorcycle, drive far worse than 20 years ago.  The most surprising difference though has been with people driving tractor trailer rigs in my experience.

Here we have a lot of temporary foreign workers in the gravel truck and  crude oil hauling industry.  Some of them have never seen snow or ice yet get a licence to drive rigs in Arctic weather.  Nuts!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 08:00:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pushing my luck......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.