Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New owner! Have a few questions. (Read 313 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: New owner! Have a few questions.
Reply #15 - 01/25/15 at 23:39:21

Are you still on the original IRC tyres? No one here has a particularly good opinion of them, particularly the rear one.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Keith Bachand
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 01/26/15 at 04:38:53

I have to admit I am probably gripping harder when going faster and around traffic due to being new to riding on the street.

-I'll look into the jar dine exhaust as well as a dyna or sportster exhaust. I really like this exhaust. Anyone have any idea where it came from? It just says its a custom exhaust. [url]http://www.650motorcycles.com/MarkRollins.html/url]

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 01/26/15 at 05:29:51

Do you play pool? Is your game improved when you are gripping the stick?
You can maneuver quicker when your hands aren't tight. Relax your jaw, loosen up the shoulders,arms and legs and hands. Know how to put weight on a peg and flick the bars to hop sideways.KNOW where you can move to in traffic, know when dropping a gear and goosing it the out and when hopping a lane or brakes are the answer. Watching heads and front tires, watching for traffic openings THE DRIVER nearest you may jump at and watching what other drivers are doing that could make them run over you..

Practice emergency braking in empty parking lots. Getting both brakes coordinated really matters. Be visible and Make them SEE you. Change lane position, flick lights high and low... stay out of the blind spot s.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Keith Bachand
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/28/15 at 17:38:18

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely be practicing being more relaxed.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 01/29/15 at 03:59:36

Keith Bachand wrote on 01/28/15 at 17:38:18:
Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely be practicing being more relaxed.

We have a bridge that goes from Cincinnati, OH to Covington KY that has metal decking that is made of slats of steel and open between them.  The first time I rode a motorcycle over it was really scary.  When the grooves in the motorcycle tires run along the metal that is parallel with your tire.....the tires shift a bit left and right as the tread grooves are on and off of the strips.  If you try and manhandle the event....it makes no difference and the bike continues to do a little shimmy no matter how hard you grip the bars.  If you relax....the bike just continues to do a little shimmy....it makes no difference how hard you grip the bars.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 01/29/15 at 22:17:46

actually, it does.
on the sort of steel grate you'ere talking about the bike will shimmy, no matter what, but he's not riding on a metal grate, he's riding on pavement
\a two wheeled vehicle balanced by pitting steering angle against lean: if you put the bike upright and let it go, it'll fall over
if you push it,and it has decent steering characteristics, it'll start to fall over, and the front wheel, of it's own accord, will steer in the direction of the lean, causing the bike to come back upright, and start to flop over the other way: the faster the vehicle moves,and the more stability-centric it's front wheel rake and trail are the faster this cycle is, and at anything above a walk you don't even feel it
when you grip the bars harder, you interfere with this dynamic, and actually destabilize the bike by preventing this effect
this is why little kids on bikes start out tense and wobbly, and as they get better, become relaxed and stable

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 01/31/15 at 03:45:43

Art.....sorry if that last sentence was misleading.  I meant to imply that there was not any reason to squeeze the bars hard - the bike will shimmy on the metal grating regardless.  It is better just to relax and let it wiggle around....and enjoy the massage!

I agree.....riding relaxed is much better than holding tightly onto the bars.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 01/31/15 at 06:52:52

I read it and understand HOW you meant it.
No matter how hard you grip, it's Gonna wiggle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #23 - 01/31/15 at 07:03:57

whereas I misinterpreted it as a refutation, when it wasn't
Sorry I took it the wrong way

What I was getting at is that by fighting it you actually make the wiggle worse, on my Rebel forum we're always getting new riders who don't get the concept of moto chassis self correction and how being tense interferes with that, and there are some long and lively debates over it
I used to fight the bike myself,way back, and never got how some guys were so stable and any bike i got on was 'nervous' at highway speeds, until I finally asked an old hand (who happened to be an instructor, though I didn't know it) and he explained it to me

Heck, you can ride 'no hands' (but please don't  Grin) in a crosswind, and your bike will steer itself straight, as hard as that is to believe, at first

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 01/31/15 at 11:25:09

I experienced that wind thing on the Moonshine Lunch Run last spring.  We were coming back through the flat parts of Ill. and Indiana....and there was a big cross wind. We were actually riding down the road and leaning over into the wind a pretty steep lean to the right.  Every now and then a big gust of wind would hit hard from the side - it was so hard my helmet wanted to spin my head....and the bike would instantly lean hard into the wind all on it's own and just keep going straight.  That really surprised me.  The other weird thing was when you were leaning hard to the right side into the wind....then came up to a left hand corner while the bike was leaning right????  Once again the bike acted normal if you didn't think about it and just rode like normal.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #25 - 01/31/15 at 11:51:32

yeah, it's hard to wrap yout head around, and sometimes sorta spooky

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 01/31/15 at 13:13:44

Be aware, riding, compensating for a cross wind, encounter something that Blocks that wind and suddenly, you're in trouble. And I was nearly blown off the road when I was hit by a cross wind when I was passing an 18 wheeler. Soon as I cleared his front end, wham.. I was so close to the edge I couldn't steer left to fall right... 70+ MPH, Gravel, not good..

IP Logged
Keith Bachand
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 01/31/15 at 18:59:59

I haven't had much chance to ride my bike to work since its been below freezing most mornings but riding relaxed definitely seems to help with the stability issues.

That's definitely hard to wrap my head around about the wind. So its better to not try and compensate for the wind?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 01/31/15 at 19:38:30

Oh,you GOTTA compensate,, just be aware of anything that is gonna block the wind off or expose you to the cross wind suddenly. Like, you're running along laid over, cuz the wind is howling across the road,,and you're gonna cross a bridge with some substantial side rails that will cut the wind off of you by Half, you could turn,, you can crash.. because you Were in a "turn", fighting the wind.. cut the wind off,, you're following, right?
Am I making sense to anyone?

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #29 - 01/31/15 at 22:14:21

The bike will auto correct, do you let it, folks who make a point of fighting the wind consciously tend to interfere with that, and some times if the wind suddenly goes away, cannot correct as quickly as the bike will, left to it's own devices, and bad things happen
It's very counter intuitive, and I didn't believe it myself, until I went riding on a windy day, and forced myself to release all but the lightest contact with the bars
Every gust the bike would lean into it, and when it let up the bike would stand itself up
I don't recommend others try this, but I'm so hard headed I had to 'prove it wrong'
As it turned out, I was wrong
That's not to say the bike can't go down from a strong gust, but it's not very likely, when it's moving forward

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:15:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner! Have a few questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.