Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New owner! Have a few questions. (Read 313 times)
Keith Bachand
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New owner! Have a few questions.
01/24/15 at 07:15:17

Hello everyone!,

I purchased a new (2013) Suzuki Savage/S40. I got it from a dealer with no miles on it. I've mainly purchased it to commute to work since its better on fuel than my truck and is cheap to maintain. I do have a few questions.

-When should I change the oil for the first time? I'm at 350 miles now.
*I read the posts about oil and the recommendations. The redline 10W40 looks to be the best oil out there.

-It seems like once I get going and its warmed up all the way there's a clicking/sewing machine sound. Is this normal?

-I'm looking for an exhaust. The stock exhaust is very quiet and I would like something louder. I realize I'll need to rejet. I really like the look of the one piece raask but he doesn't make the one piece anymore plus it would be more expensive. Are there any exhausts similar? I also really like the sound of a more free flowing exhaust.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New owner! Have a few questions.
Reply #1 - 01/24/15 at 08:35:59

Oil info here... http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565
Redline is good if you're rollin' in money... Grin...
Since you bought this bike to save money,... Shell Rotella oil is 1/4 the cost of Redline... and it's what most people use...

I would change oil and filter now... 300, 600, and 1,000miles... every 3k after that... 5k if you ride a lot...

A RAsk will be loud... but it won't make your sewing machine sound like a Harley...  just a big sewing machine...
Grin...
Switching to a Harley shorty muffler is a popular mod....(slightly louder with deeper tone,.. cheap to buy, and well made... slight performance gain without losing torque)...

Some ticking is normal for a big, air-cooled single...

Also,... don't be suckered into using premium gas... regular unleaded is fine for this low compression engine...

Welcome to SS.com... Congratulations on your new bike...
PS... there's a link in my sig "It's in the Tech Section"... lots of tech info there...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 01/24/15 at 09:23:23

Don't idle it down real low like a Harley either.  It won't have enough oil pressure to keep oil in the cam bearings in the head.  It will kill it very quickly.  Keep the idle at 1000 or over.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/24/15 at 09:35:16

I dropped about$400.00 on a Supertrap, could have had a prettier exhaust with about the same performance bump and good sound for$20.00,,  Start cheap,, if you don't dig it, sell it, get some other exhaust.. IMO the Dyna is the best way to go,
I had a Stage One cam, Supertrap with 14 disks, modified airbox, jetted the carb, rode it to create big grins and STILL got almost 50 MPG.

REgrets are, the Supertrap and KandN air filter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Keith Bachand
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/24/15 at 12:26:28

Thank you for taking time to reply! I read the manual and saw it states that 87 octane is fine which is nice to know. I'll go ahead and change the oil now. Is there a particular oil filter that's better than others?

Also nice to know my ticking sound is normal. As for an exhaust I've been reading on here about the different options but haven't really found one I'm in love with besides the Raask. I'll definitely look into the Harley muffler.

I'm new to motorcycles but have ridden motocross bikes and race quads.

I have two other questions.

-is it normal for it to be difficult to get into 5th gear at times? Sometimes it goes in very easy and others it's a harder pull up to get it in.

-Is there anything to do to help the ride at 55+mph? It feels very shaky especially when I'm around other cars. Probably because I'm not used to riding on the road but figured I'd ask. I'm a small frame guy at 5'4 120lbs so I'm sure that doesn't help.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 01/24/15 at 17:19:21

Sometimes it is easier than other times to get into gear.  At your 3K oil change I recommend putting in Shell Rotella oil.  It is some real good stuff.  

Regarding making the bike feel more stable, I really like the fork brace on mine.  Here is a pic.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/24/15 at 17:47:54

It's new,, once You and the bike get used to each other and it gets some miles on it and you get some experience with it, it will either smooth out or you'll realize that it has an issue to address. A genuine transmission problem? I don't think I have seen one... shifter adjustment, shift linkage,yeah,  but internal failure? I don't remember any.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #7 - 01/24/15 at 18:02:45

Regarding making the bike feel more stable, I really like the fork brace on mine.  Here is a pic.

Best regards

Where did you buy the fork brace?

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 01/24/15 at 18:12:20

Here you go.

http://tkat.com/forkbrace.html

tkat@tkat.com

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #9 - 01/24/15 at 18:14:45

Thanks pgambr.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/24/15 at 19:32:25

WWW   IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #11 - 01/24/15 at 19:41:38

Perfect, thanks.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 01/24/15 at 20:39:33

while the fork brace will help if there's actually a flex issue there, (doubtfull unless you ride like Wayne Rainey) make sure you relax while riding
it's pretty common (and wrong) for folks new to street bikes to get tense on the street, especially the highway, and especially around other traffic
If you have a death grip on the bars, the bike will not track properly, loosen up your grip, relax, and the bike will likely turn out to be a lot mo=re stable than you think it is

IP Logged
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/25/15 at 15:50:20

I have a jar dine exhaust and love it. Some think it's much too loud but I don't feel that way. It gives mine a nice tone as well. I'm in Louisiana and didn't even have to rejet and have had no issues

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #14 - 01/25/15 at 18:24:52

I ended up ordering the Super Brace fork stabilizer,  the Tkat web site didn't work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 18:42:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner! Have a few questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.