Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Win 10 Wars
01/21/15 at 10:03:09

I renamed this thread as the Win 10 War's battle lines are beginning to become clear, with Microsoft's big PR vapor push and the subsequent release of real responses by Google, Linaro and Android.

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/windows-10-will-free-upgrade-windows-7-later.html

Windows 10 for PC will be a free upgrade for all Win 7 and up users.   Not free for everybody as said previously.    So, Win 10 becomes the enforced upgrade path for all active previous Windows versions, as was predicted earlier.

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/windows-10-designed-work-tablets-notebooks-phon...

Windows 10 will run on all devices, but must be gotten separately for each device as the code packaging seems to be different per device type.   This may change later on in the development process -- and no they aren't nearly done yet -- just got barely started good actually.

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/microsoft-shows-windows-10-smartphones.html

Don't expect it all to look and feel like the presentation slides as we have seen the Win 10 preview shift around pretty drastically as they struggle to make it all work right.  

That struggling isn't over yet by golly.

=======================================

Wall Street seems to believe Microsoft did good with what they did last year -- and is rewarding MS with higher stock prices although MS blew a lot of their generated revenue last year on free promotions.

Microsoft is putting forward the Image of a Winner during this show and tell and the press folks are eating it up.

Look to see Intel doing the same thing in the next few months ....

« Last Edit: 01/26/15 at 23:31:37 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Microsoft lays out Win 10 -- free for Win 7 an
Reply #1 - 01/22/15 at 09:47:19

First wart or pimple shows up on the Windows 10 PR face .....

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/windows-rt-tablets-wont-run-windows-10.html

Windows RT tablets won’t run Windows 10

One begins to question if Win 10 is going to run on ARM flawlessly as has been stated all along, since the Win RT machines were ARM based units mgf by Microsoft itself.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 01/22/15 at 11:05:58

Wall Street seems to believe Microsoft did good with what they did last year -- and is rewarding MS with higher stock prices although MS blew a lot of their generated revenue last year on free promotions.

The stock market is NOT a good measure how well a company is impressing the business world, investors. ect...

The stock market is inflated and is being kept that way on purpose. Investors "can't loose" right now in the market, and so just spread their fresh printed money around to all the big stocks. Not to mention that companies themselves have been taking "near zero" percent loans and buying back their stock. ... and why NOT??? And so the stock buble inflates even more.

Hmmm... I have a bet that win 10 will NOT be "free" but will have a sliding scale from Win 7 and up.. with Win 8.1 being the closest to free. If it is true... then I need to just buy several copies of win 7 at their current discount and upgrade to win 10 later.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 01/23/15 at 02:05:56

Yeah, the MS weasel re-wording has started already.

The term "free for developers" is the current rewording that MS is pushing out in response to questions about their "free" statements given out during the promo event.

MS is catching ANGER from older version users who have products that are either being DROPPED or IGNORED completely.   You are screwed again, get used to it --- it's MS.

Next, MS will not talk right now about service plans at all -- although they mention in passing that the yearly subscription model is "being considered".

This event was all about IMAGE, as MS's image has taken some licks lately and the company wants to put a bold face on their current 3rd restart on the "final" Windows 10 package (the previous 2 iterations hitting various difficulties in making the spreading leap from PCs to tablets to phones).

MS wants to get folks heads away from the fact they were promised delivery on the new OS nearly a year ago and it is still nearly a year away at this point in time .....  

MS also wants to distract folks from the fact their market share fluctuated within 2% (down, then up, then down again) despite MS's massive and expensive 8.1 give away efforts.

It is all about BUZZ and Chatter and other marketing terms right now, not about any harsh realities .....

PR is PR and that is all this was -- with retractions and "refinements" to all the free statements now coming out daily.

Smiley

« Last Edit: 01/24/15 at 10:41:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #4 - 01/24/15 at 06:52:00

This is what Microsoft seems to be pushing more towards with most all of their products. They have been doing it this whole time with Xbox Live. I remember it was $65 a year back when I had it. I got tired of continuously having to pay. That's why I switched to Playstation, Sony doesn't charge for online stuff.

I noticed they're even pushing Microsoft Office to that "service fee" system. I suppose they've realized they've become the Wal-Mart of software and can do just about whatever they want. What can the entire business world do about it? They NEED windows. Until Google or Apple ramp up their game for businesses no one really has much choice.

You make a lot more money charging $50 for the year than a one time fee of $150. Especially if someone gets at least 5 years of use out of it.

As for me...I would like to become Linux exclusive.  Smiley

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Win 10 wars
Reply #5 - 01/25/15 at 14:39:16

I think that Linux as a desktop replacement for old PCs is going to start to evolve pretty soon into a more active player than just a replacement for obsolete Windows versions on some old moldy Wintel boxes.

Right now several of the Core Linux Distros have staked out other vital parts of computing and are leaving the desktop behind as they go forth to grow and multiply into those new slots.

Both Red Hat and Ubuntu are spending a lot of time refining their server products and have dropped back on their desktop efforts accordingly by widening the time span between new revisions.

Linux Mint is busy selling Mint retail desktop units (and yes at $295 the units ARE SELLING in Europe and Asia and the USA).   For years Linus has said the only impediment to Linux taking more desktop space was that folks wanted a SINGLE full function easy to use distro factory installed and factory supported on brand new factory hardware which until just recently wasn't happening at any reasonable price point.   Face it, $599 isn't a reasonable price point, but $295 IS a more reasonable price point and the new minty green Mintbox Mini units are moving into retail distribution channels.

http://www.amazon.com/MintBox-IPC-D2x2-C3337NL-H500-WB-XLM-FM4U-BMint-2-Deskt...

This is the old $600 Mint box .....

This is the new $295 Mint box .....    no fan is present in either of these Mint boxes as they are both very low resource requiring machines running what is arguably one of the best (and very hardware efficient) Linux distros out there.  

I use Mint personally, and I have lots of good reasons to continue to do so ....

« Last Edit: 01/26/15 at 00:00:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 01/25/15 at 20:42:16

As the 64 bit pieces of stuff begin to all fall into place, the exact same-same bits of 64 bit stuff are falling in to both ChromeOS and Android on purpose, laying out interoperability at a very core level.  

Ditto for the stuff in the Chrome Browser as is individually installed on many many different OS systems.

I find my "Google stuff" is coming up now automatically on my phone, on my desktop and on my iPad2 now, so much so that this past week I ordered a $10 stereo microphone for my desktop so I can talk in "Hey Google" instructions to my $80 refurb Linux/Dell hybrid desktop machine as well.  

The talk to it stuff is all there already, so I might as well use it.   Got a pink jack on my sound card, so might as well use that too.     Wink

Google may just go do it, such that it is all about the same stuff everywhere without making a big deal about the unification process until it is just about completed.

At Google Campus, there are no separate offices for the Android and ChromeOS boys any more, it is the same group of people sitting in the same office taking orders from the same bosses who are telling them to go do the same things at the same time in a very efficient manner.

When will it roll out?   After the next released candy flavor the existing 32 bit 4.4.x rev stuff will no longer be allowed to go into the Play Store, so at that point in time the new flavor and the last gen 5.1 Lollipop stuff (both operating at 64 bit) will be the only official Android versions with new stuff going into the Play Store.

This would be the natural time for Google to "announce it" since Win 10 will maybe be out by then and you will know exactly what you have to beat for ease of use and the actual real features that are really actually factually going to be coming out of MS in Win 10.

It is funny, MS loudly and proudly announces "Cortana will coming out with Win 10" and "Hey Google" quietly goes live across the board on all products a few days before that with literally no fuss or announcements at all -- it is just there all over the place in the same week as the Big MS PR EVENT and the announcements about Cortana.  

Google just goes and does it.

I love it when MS gets all braggy about their to be released stuff, because new Google stuff just pops up magically to make their future vaporware totally ho hum by the time it actually does get here.    Please, MS, please go brag some more.

That quiet Google magic, I loves it I do ....

You do realize by the time Intel and MS actually releases any real near to being "reasonably priced" integrated consumer level products built at 14nm that both Samsung and Qualcomm and Apple will be on their 2nd and 3rd generations of real, actually shipped 14nm consumer products by that point in time?

General released ARM stuff has drifted from 28nm down to 14/16/20nm and all the old 28nm ARM lithography lines are getting converted one by one in a rotating fashion.   Same newly renovated line can lay down Plain Jane planar 20nm very quickly for the very best cost position and it can also run 16nm or 14nm FinFEET designs depending on how many additional lithography passes you are willing to put up with.  

More passes, slower production rates, higher product loss values and higher total cost.   The Intel 4% processor speed bump to be gained between 22nm and 14nm (using Intel's numbers, BTW) really isn't all that drastic, so major broad based ARM consumer products might just keep on being designed for a fast 20nm implementation level for a while and everyone in ARM will continue to save all that low nm high production cost money.

Let Intel spray their billions & billions of bright red 14nm arterial blood $$$ all over things while just getting a measly 4% speed bump.  

Mind you, some ARM processors are getting a 20% speed bump out of going from 28nm to the 14nm level, but they are also going to a new architecture at the same time which is part of the 20% real benefit they are getting.   The Artemis and Maya generation from ARM HOLDINGS is out there in the real world now, but has not been publicised at all as it is "still proprietary" and will be held as top secret for the first year.

(Apple gets it all first as they own 30% of ARM HOLDINGS as Apple was one of the original creators of ARM HOLDINGS)

Intel jest loves hurting themselves so much that they will go spend 10s of billions of dollars to go shoot holes in their own feet ....  running 14nm across the board whether it is ready or not or if it even makes sense to do it or not.

Wink

« Last Edit: 01/26/15 at 06:59:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/26/15 at 05:33:42

You could probably have a column in the local paper. You might even get picked up by others.. I don't know what you are talking about but I read some of it,just for kicks..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Win 10 Wars
Reply #8 - 01/27/15 at 16:15:39

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/windows-10-small-tablets-wont-support-desktop-a...

Windows 10 for small tablets won’t support desktop apps

First wart, no Microsoft RT support at all.   Dropped that whole branch of the Windows family tree < plop .... plop ..... splat > right down on the concrete in a great big 'ol steaming heap of stinkin' stuff.    
Quick,  somebody go get a shovel and a bucket  ......   <pew>    Undecided

Second wart, no support for desktop apps for tablets and devices below 8" size.

First logical conflict -- current BingOS Win 8.1 stuff is free for 8" tablets and below (MS is currently loss leadering full price supports for this size span at a great cost to MS) which is the exact same size span that the new stuff won't run upon ????       Roll Eyes

Second logical conflict -- you said it was the same OS for all products, but you obviously plan to sell different stuff for phones and for tablets that are less than 8" in size.  

Or are you telling us something SIGNIFICANT here without actually coming right out and stating it ???

"That means Windows 10 for Mobile will likely run on smartphones with ARM-based processors and also on 7 inch tablets with ARM or Intel chips (and possibly on smartphones with Intel chips as well, although it’s not clear if any company is working on Windows Phones with Intel processors)."

Roll Eyes        

Go figure these first few new ones out and get back to us with the answers please.  

And don't forget to go tell Intel you just squeezed them out of all future MS Windows phone business while you are at it .....

Grin

==========================================

Cheesy    .... later info seems to kinda indicate Win 10 for phones and smaller tablets isn't even half finished yet and NOBODY AT MS REALLY KNOWS what it will support or not at this early stage of the game.  

MS needs to shut their PR department up until they have some real information to share -- all they are doing right now is running around blithering & looking stupid with the dumb dumb things they do go say.

« Last Edit: 01/28/15 at 08:14:14 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 01/29/15 at 10:50:17

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/microsoft-office-now-available-for-android-tabl...

Microsoft Office now available for Android tablets FOR FREE ???!!!!

Holy conflicting moves, Batman !!!

"You can download Word, PowerPoint, or Excel from the Google Play Store for free and use them to create, view, and edit documents.

Some features such as change tracking in Word, synchronizing documents with other devices, or use the apps on tablets with screens larger than 10.1 inches requires an Office 365 subscription.

Microsoft says its mobile Office apps should run on devices with Android 4.4 or later, 1GB of RAM or more, and ARM-based processors. Support for Intel chips is in the works and Microsoft says it plans to add support for Intel-based tablets within the next few months."

When WIN 10 is suddenly supposedly not going to support this size range suddenly you got OFFICE being given away here for free in this same size range ????

..... AND only for ARM processors and ONLY running on Android ????

Shocked

First, MS is using the new term Mobile Office for it now, it is for ARM chips only and it is sized less than 8" and it only runs on Android ???  

Is there a "giving up here" on the part of Intel on the ARM wars they have been fighting, with them simply giving up on anything less than 8" in size?   MS, being privy to this decision is reacting by moving all their efforts over to ARM in this size range?

Remember, Intel was supposed to cook a chip for MS called Sophia that never came about except for a thing built by the consortium based off the Chinese government's Spreadtrum chipmaking arm.   This one-off oddball chip had a stock ARM CPU and GPU designs, with the exception of an Intel Baseband chipset and an old Intel 3-G radio setup being stuck on instead of the more normal ARM components .....   This oddball was only built once and only went into a $29 loss leader product that MS built for India (still sitting around in warehouses as we speak).

Intel never did put together anything with Rockchip, never really even followed up with their Spreadtrum/China deal in any further fashion that has ever become public.

Is this new sets of data actually MS letting Intel's final "total failure" position out of the bag at last ????    MS is not making any provision for low end Intel ARM competing chipsets because there aren't ever going to be any and MS knows this already?

Intel intends to compete down to the 8" level (larger tablets and Chromeboxes and Chromekillers) but does not intend to spend any effort going lower?

=============================

If Intel wasn't spending contra-revenue like water all over the place, where would their market penetration actually stop right now?

Core i-5 and up ???

Reverse the question to become a simple statement.  

Intel can "cash cow" only their core i-5 and up to create revenue to fund all their current contra-revenue schemes.

Intel is having to totally contra revenue support core i-3 and below at this point in time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 01/29/15 at 19:38:01

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/report-microsoft-will-invest-70-million-cyanoge...

Cyanogen MOD, the open source project group based upon Google Android's freely released Open Android project is undergoing some serious turmoil right now as some of its leadership wants to fork the project away from the other smaller subset of the group that formed the renegade commercial company Cyanogen Inc.  the renegade "let's get away from open source Android and sell the result to the Chinese" company.

So, what could further split the group of ex-rebellious phone rocking teenagers up even more badly than before ???

Microsoft, trying to buy Cyanogen Inc. for 70 Million Dollars,  the same way they bought and then screwed up Skype so badly.   Ditto for Minecraft, etc.   .....

Microsoft has a real problem, no one wants their phone software.  

By paying a bunch of money they hope to buy Cyanogen and get some of what they see the Chinese getting out of Cyanogen lately, a lot of good will and a very good android based OS system.    

Microsoft hopes folks will let them continue to sponge off of Android and actually have a 7" tablet and phone presence just as long as they can use Cyanogen Inc. as their cover company.

Problem is that the open source minded folks will immediately fork the real guts of the CyanogenMOD project way the hell way from the renegade Cyanogen Inc. and give it a new name ASAP and leave MS holding the empty name brand sack that used to house some pretty neat software stuff.  

They might even booby trap the deal by including a some well hidden Linux code in places where they can go find it later (then legally declaring the MS Cyanogen product to be OPEN SOURCE under the terms of the Linux GPL License presuming it is worth even taking back at that point in time).

Sound familiar?    Once totally ostracized, the ones who make the sale will not be able to continue to support the level of excellence that got MS interested in the first place.    Plus, once the Linux code goes in MS will back away very quickly knowing they are being intentionally sold a pinless leverless smoking hand grenade by some greedy ex-rebellious teenagers.

Huh    my my my my .....   playing the "if you can't beat them, buy them" card again, MS?

If MS is still choking on the mobile portions of Win 10 and MS is faced with having rebooted the mobile portion of the thing several times now with no commandingly good product at the end of yet another rebuild yet again. So, maybe MS is just looking for a face saving way out of the mess they are mired in now.

So, perhaps this is the last minute end game "find a way out" strategy to allow the PC portion Win 10 to move forward into completion while letting "Cyanogen Inc." own the ongoing failure of the phone portion while keeping MS's skirts clean and separating MS and Win 10 from the ongoing phone debacle in the minds of the PC people who still like to think that MS is all knowing and wonderful.

Kinda like Intel did with Rockchip -- "not our fault, Rockchip didn't do what they said they could do -- not our fault this time" as they leave the phone and 7" tablet playing field.

If this thinking is right, look to see MS dropping all price supports, free softwares and Tech Dollars in the sub 8" mobile area very shortly as they totally abandon 7" and mobile -- kinda like Intel has already done as unsold "contra revenue supported" products continue to build up in warehouses all over Asia.

If this thought is correct, then MS should move to sell the good portions of their software (like OFFICE) directly into the Android mainstream as separate products intended only for larger >8" android tablets (the size span where MS OFFICE can actually fit).   Price should be high enough to keep the OFFICE team going on out into the future, should Google actually go and combine Android and ChromeOS into something too good for MS to compete against on the low end of things.

Look to see MS and Intel group all tablets 8" and up into their PC numbers saying that "since it is large enough to run full sized Windows 10 it actually is taking up PC market share".   This way the 8" tablet business hides completely inside the larger world of PC and that ugly little 7" stuff we can't be bothered with goes away completely.

Wink

« Last Edit: 01/30/15 at 04:46:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 01/30/15 at 04:27:46

Further refinements to the Cyanogen story.

MS isn't going to be the only buyer -- MS is now trying to put together a consortium of buyers to create a wedge into Android such that the consortium as a whole can act to disrupt Android, offer alternative "standards"  and try to leverage Android away from Google.   Show the Chinese a separate source for Android, one that will play "let's make a deal" with them?

Bold attack plan there, MS -- but, are you are counting on Google to do their habitual "go play Switzerland" thing while you actively try to cut their throat ???

What if they don't play Switzerland this time but act to block you then go after your balls again?

Is this the gloves coming off at last?

« Last Edit: 01/30/15 at 10:31:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 01/30/15 at 07:15:52

The thread title has tittilated my tiny twisted troublesome thinking equipment from day one. The idea that someone could
Win 10 wars
When I've had such trouble with winning one lousy fistfight...mehhh, you get the picture.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 01/30/15 at 07:50:21

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/oneplus-unveils-oxygenos-post-cyanogen-future.html

OnePlus phones immediately dumps Cyanogen Inc. as their phone software.  

MS, even the rumor of it is the kiss of death, everywhere in the open source circles.

Wink

Justin, you just love the backstabbing and maneuvering and one-upmanship that goes on in mobile all the time.

Me, I like the endless new and different and eventually better that comes out of it .....

New item for today, OxygenOS which is a CyanogenMod clone now being put out by OnePlus, a Chinese company.

Smiley    MS jest teaches them Chinese to go rip off some more software all the time, they do .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 01/30/15 at 10:31:28

Man, I thought geopolitical,economic 007 treachery, false flags and black ops and All that was something,,  the stuff you follow is some pretty convoluted stuff. I appreciate the tech savvy required to be Able to grasp the meaning and importance of the maneuvering the corporations are doing.
I wasn't kidding when I said you could probably have a column in the paper..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:24:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Win 10 Wars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.