Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Savage LS40 powered Chinese bobber (Read 132 times)
Mad Maverick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage LS40 powered Chinese bobber
01/20/15 at 19:44:20

I'm new here. I joined because I have a Chinese bobber with an OHV 250 engine that leaves something to be desired. I was thinking about a replacement motor that had more power but it had to be a thumper (single cylinder). I remembered a girlfriends bike I rode one time just for kicks. I remember being surprised at how dawgone quick the bike was for what it was. I took note as to what make and model it was. It was a Suzuki Savage 650 single. That was 20 years ago and guess what motor came to mind for a replacement for this Chinese boat anchor. Now I just need to ask a few questions as to how much modification I must do.    Huh

IP Logged
Mad Maverick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Savage LS40 powered Chinese bobber
Reply #1 - 01/20/15 at 20:20:10

#1  How much doe's a Savage engine with the 5 speed weigh ? (My concern , How much weight will my bike gain)              #2 What is the total height of the S40 motor at its tallest point, And what is measurement of bottom end front to back ? (My concern, How much cutting and welding will go on with my frame)   # 3  And last but not least what kind of MPG does a Savage get on a typical ride ? And I don't mean carving twistys and jumping all over the throttle trying to keep up with your buddies on their 4 cylinder machines. You get about half the mileage on a ride like that. Cheesy  Thank you for any of this info you can add to my knowledge of the Savage power plant.   Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/20/15 at 21:47:17

I regularly get around 60mpg... the engine weighs about 110lbs...

Too late at night to measure size...

But, the real question is... why not just sell the Chinamobile and buy a Savage?...
Much cheaper and easier that converting...
You'll also need a bigger battery, a Savage rectifier, de-comp, and magic sh*tbox,... plus all the welding of mounts, and drive conversion, and wirning hassles ...
It's not practical...
Unless you like PIA, and bleed money... Huh...

Glad you like the motor though... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/21/15 at 04:27:54

And........what makes you think the frame, chassis, brakes and wheels can handle the change from a 250cc engine to a 650cc engine?

Chinese bikes are not known for being strong or durable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Mad Maverick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/21/15 at 18:02:59

Sorry it took so long to get back to the thread. It got moved because I put it in the wrong place I guess, sorry.  Tongue  The Savage does not fit me so I can't just buy a LS40. I'm a bulky (260 lbs) 6' 4 now .  I've done some fabricating and figured out some electrical cluster f#*cks in my time. But the magic sh#*t box is scaring me a little though  Undecided.   The frame and brakes are plenty substantial for a 650cc engine  , especially being a thumper. The boober is built well and its disk brakes work quite well. And frankly it looks twice as cool as any Savage bobber I've seen to date IMHO. The finished bike would only weigh about approx. 20 - 25 lbs. more max and only go about 15-20 MPH faster top end max than it does now from what I've read. You think it would be a pregnant dog to wire up right though Huh...   ? Thank you for the input BTW   

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/21/15 at 18:58:31

Guys your size have modded the Savage to fit. This bunch can help you work on a Savage. How to transplant the Savages heart into your bike?
Well,, I don't know...
I'm in the Sell yours and buy a Savage, mod to fit.

What is the pants inseam?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mad Maverick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/21/15 at 20:39:03

I have short legs for my height, My inseam is only about 32 now that I'm 52 and have shrunk some.                I would like to say on another subject, if the Suzi engine is only 110 lbs that's not bad.  Shocked  Hell, an old Honda SL 350 OHC engine was 110 Lbs. . And I bet this Suzi is a lot better motor than that short lived motor was ! , And a good bit more powerful.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/21/15 at 20:44:14

At 32" inseam, you'll fit,possibly without forward controls. Lift the front of the seat..
Just what is it you have,anyway?
Link to a pic,maybe?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mad Maverick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/21/15 at 20:52:17

You guys almost have me convinced to just mod. a Savage to my wants and needs. But just for entertainment could anybody get me the total Height , and front to back measurement of the lower end of the 5 speed 650 engine ? Hell, I might not be willing the do tons of frame mods if the motor doesn't even want to be in there.  Undecided

IP Logged
Mad Maverick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/21/15 at 21:01:13

I will get a pic on this thread tomorrow. I'm not real good at it. My son usually will do that for me. Thanks so much for the feed back. I am definitely being influenced by it. Not quite sure if I'm going to ditch the China girl yet. But you got me thinking hard anyway.

IP Logged
Mad Maverick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/21/15 at 21:20:04

What about the Tech section ? If the engine dimensions are there your search engine sure doesn't know it. And I have been looking quite hard myself. I have been searching just to keep from asking redundant questions here.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 01/21/15 at 21:24:06

It's more than just stuffing the motor in, you'll hafta either mod to chain off the Suzuki output or mod China Girl to belt...

IP Logged
Mad Maverick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/21/15 at 21:33:04

I'll spend the extra $ to mod. to chain. I gotta have a way to change my final ratio at will. I'm spoiled like that. Do the chain /sprocket kits come in 520 or 530 chain ? Do you happen to know ? Another thing I'm concerned with is matching up the electrics. That and lining up the Front sprocket with the rear wheel sprocket without having to mount the motor noticeably off center to make it work. I don't want to make an ugly machine.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 01/21/15 at 21:39:49

Sorry,dude, I know some guys did the swap, been a while,it's in the tech section.
The pioneer was Hutch, look for his name. He died mid 2012.

IP Logged
Mad Maverick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/21/15 at 21:43:18

Hey, At least you know that much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home