Send Topic Print
Flywheel Lightening (Read 307 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Flywheel Lightening
Reply #15 - 01/20/15 at 19:45:41

Awwrite,, you physics guys, re,,,angular momentum.
Now, take a metal disc, say, diameter, ten inches, thickness, three.
So. If you take the weight off of the perimeter, how different would that be from taking the same weight off, but just as close to the center as possible?
IOW,
Well, should we see the Flywheel Effect of every cubic millimeter of the flywheel change as we progress outward from the axis and if we do,would it look anything like the Calculate Perimeter of a Circle formula?
And,if so,can we figure how much to take AND where to take it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 01/20/15 at 20:58:24

I sure can't... Grin Grin Grin ...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 01/21/15 at 04:13:49

The Polar Moment of Inertia can be calculated for the circle and the material removed.  For the crankshaft and rotor this would be difficult to do - as they are not common circles and they are made up of different materials.  For the flywheel it would be pretty easy to do as it basically a flat disc.

Let's assume the disc is the 10" diameter that JOG wanted.  The Polar moment of inertia is PI/2 x the radius cubed.......981.

If we were to reduce the flywheel to 9"....the Polar moment of inertia would be reduced to......644.

If we were to take 1" of material out of the middle (which is impossible as the connection to the crankshaft would be gone).....the Polar moment of inertia of a 1" diameter disc is 1.57 (small because 1 cubed is still 1).  So if you took the 10" sphere that has a Polar moment of inertia of 981, and took the 1" out of the middle which has a polar moment of inertia of 1.57....the result is a polar moment of inertia of 981 - 1.57 = 979.43.

Taking 1" off the outside reduces the polar moment of inertia by 34%, while taking 1" out of the middle reduces the polar moment of inertia by only 0.16%.  This is why driveshafts, columns, handlebars etc. are all made hollow....it reduces weight and has a very small effect on the strength (and/or energy stored the rotating mass).  Have you ever noticed that most flywheels have most of the mass located on the outer circle?  This allows the flywheel to be as light as possible - while storing the most amount of energy possible.

The bottom line is - you want to take as much weight as possible off the outside of the flywheel if you goal is to improve acceleration....and take off as much weight as possible from the center of the flywheel if your goal is to reduce weight and keep the polar moment of inertia high.  As an example...if you were to remove the center 8" from the disc, the Polar moment of inertia would be 981 - 402 = 579(59%) - while the area (and weight) would have been reduced from 78.5 - 50.2 = 28.3 (36%).  So you would get bit less than 59% the inertia at 36% of the weight.

On the Savage engine - I would not recommend taking weight off the rotor.  You will get far more effect by taking material off the outside of the flywheel.
« Last Edit: 01/21/15 at 07:54:13 by Dave »  

flywheel.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 01/21/15 at 04:58:14

And.....if you need to know how to derive the formula for the Mass Moment of Inertia (I used the Polar moment of inertia for area as I do not know the mass).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERrpxCfEkqc

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 01/21/15 at 08:19:24

I was never the great answer guy, OHHH, but if someone could answer the questions,,, we could make stuff Happen..

I STILL wanna see the graph of a dot on a wheel ( both speed and position, one above the other).

The dot, ( The theoretical dot, uz it is on the surface that touches the road)
and it stops when its on the road and is going twice the speed of the car on top.

Yes,, I have an active imagination..

Ohh,, and thank you Dave,, I know my old lab partner in Chemistry coulda sat me down and explained it.. I did the labs, the hands on stuff,, he did the paperwork, we smoked it,, good grades, out early if not first,, dang that dude was SHMAAAAART..

Ohh, yea,, and I told a guy who used to be here a lot about this,, he mumbled something as he hung up to go get steaks on the grill,,,,

Then,, after he ate, he called back,, RARELY do we speak twice in a day,,  So,, he musta had sumthin to say..

He was a hot rodder as a teen and young man,, and pointed out that Yes, this will work, but that working on the reciprocating elements will also increase top RPM AND decrease spin up lag,, so, yea, lighten rotating mass,, and dont thknk the clutch isnt a drag,,, if you can get a lighter clutch pack in it, and, of course, the crank, piston and rod and counterbalance all come into play in a Big Way..

That said,, high RPM on a Long Stroke equals Crazy piston speeds,, and on the exhaust stroke, the piston is ONLY held down by the rod , so, when the crank throw gets to its end and is heading back down,, the rod is suffering. So, a lighter piston on a rod thats designed for that kinda punishment,, yea,, you do the math..

How many miles have ya got on the thing since you went to the Wiseco?
What rear tire ya runnin?
How much time do you spend at highway speeds?

The way Im readin ya,, YOur goal isnt to jack up ythe high end RPM, but to just unburden the engine so it can rap up TO its max quicker,, as in,

I wanna a little street sleeper, dont look scary quick,, BUT,, will come off the line like a Warthog goin at a Lion thats just crossed the line.. leaving any Harleys in the immediate vicinity in the dust..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #20 - 01/21/15 at 12:18:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/21/15 at 08:19:24:
I was never the great answer guy, OHHH, but if someone could answer the questions,,, we could make stuff Happen..

I STILL wanna see the graph of a dot on a wheel ( both speed and position, one above the other).

The dot, ( The theoretical dot, uz it is on the surface that touches the road)
and it stops when its on the road and is going twice the speed of the car on top.

Yes,, I have an active imagination..

Ohh,, and thank you Dave,, I know my old lab partner in Chemistry coulda sat me down and explained it.. I did the labs, the hands on stuff,, he did the paperwork, we smoked it,, good grades, out early if not first,, dang that dude was SHMAAAAART..

Ohh, yea,, and I told a guy who used to be here a lot about this,, he mumbled something as he hung up to go get steaks on the grill,,,,

Then,, after he ate, he called back,, RARELY do we speak twice in a day,,  So,, he musta had sumthin to say..

He was a hot rodder as a teen and young man,, and pointed out that Yes, this will work, but that working on the reciprocating elements will also increase top RPM AND decrease spin up lag,, so, yea, lighten rotating mass,, and dont thknk the clutch isnt a drag,,, if you can get a lighter clutch pack in it, and, of course, the crank, piston and rod and counterbalance all come into play in a Big Way..

That said,, high RPM on a Long Stroke equals Crazy piston speeds,, and on the exhaust stroke, the piston is ONLY held down by the rod , so, when the crank throw gets to its end and is heading back down,, the rod is suffering. So, a lighter piston on a rod thats designed for that kinda punishment,, yea,, you do the math..

How many miles have ya got on the thing since you went to the Wiseco?
What rear tire ya runnin?
How much time do you spend at highway speeds?

The way Im readin ya,, YOur goal isnt to jack up ythe high end RPM, but to just unburden the engine so it can rap up TO its max quicker,, as in,

I wanna a little street sleeper, dont look scary quick,, BUT,, will come off the line like a Warthog goin at a Lion thats just crossed the line.. leaving any Harleys in the immediate vicinity in the dust..

Justin I still haven't done a lot of miles on the Wiseco yet  Embarrassed and my reasons for looking at lightening the Rotor was 1) I will be opening up that side of the motor when I replace the Starter Idle Gear, 2) My mechanic suggested it would help improve acceleration and top end revs. I do trust him and he speaks from personal experience, but he didn't do it to a Savage but the principles should be the same.
The rear rim is a 4.25x16 with a 170 tire but because the rim is alloy it is lighter than the stock.
I live in a small town so road speeds out of town are 100KPH.

« Last Edit: 01/21/15 at 13:48:52 by paulmarshall »  
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #21 - 01/21/15 at 12:23:32

Dave wrote on 01/21/15 at 04:58:14:
And.....if you need to know how to derive the formula for the Mass Moment of Inertia (I used the Polar moment of inertia for area as I do not know the mass).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERrpxCfEkqc

This was a very hard video to follow sorry  Embarrassed. How ever I did pick up near the start where he said about 1.20 min into it, " It didn't matter how thick the ring was this way and I'm assuming its pretty thin this way" So in layman"s terms my understanding is it doesn't matter how wide it is but does matter how thick it is?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #22 - 01/21/15 at 19:00:18

I caught up with a friend today who owns a BMW 650 single who has had his rotor/ flywheel lightened, and he said that their were huge improvements in acceleration.
He did continue to say that his riding style had to change. He described it to riding a electric motorcycle where one would experience re-gen when releasing the throttle. He commented that he uses the break less because the bike slows down like a electric re-gen. He also said that with a stock heavy rotor/flywheel once up to speed it holds speed smoothly  where with a lighter rotor/flywheel slight deceleration you start to slow down quickly. But I reckon like a electric motorcycle practice makes perfect and in time it will become second nature.
I am glad I have talked to someone who has done this and done it some years ago without mishap. The fact he has kind of a similar engine being a single 650 make me think I will have similar gains.
I find it interesting to bring something else to the mix apart from the upgrades we all know and love for so many years. Isn't it nice to think outside the norm and try something new. I will try this but unfortunately I wont be able to show any results as the motor is sitting in the corner under a sheet. Due to the fact I am ordering parts as I can afford for the Cafe build. However I will machine the spare one over the next week or so and take pics. If someone else out there wants to pioneer the idea go for it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 01/21/15 at 20:19:37

That's good news. Go get them,dude.. . Bummer about the Can't prove improvements... ohh well...

Dave, my lab partner did the math, mmmmkay? I'm not gonna track well, I need someone to talk to,ask questions, and then MAYBE I'll get it.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #24 - 01/21/15 at 21:08:53

Im thinking about taking off small amounts at a time instead of taking a third off the bat. I have a spare rotor/flywheel and Im going to get a puller so at a cost of  gaskets I can test and remove the rotor/flywheel, remove more metal refit and test. Try to find a good balance.
Its just so frustrating I cant test these now.  Sad

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 01/21/15 at 21:13:31

I'd get it running, get some miles on it, break it in, run some time trials, then step into the flywheel..

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #26 - 01/21/15 at 21:15:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/21/15 at 21:13:31:
I'd get it running, get some miles on it, break it in, run some time trials, then step into the flywheel..

Good point

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 01/21/15 at 21:31:22

I'm old... 😉

Keep notes on performance as you work the flywheel. Keep up with Exactly what is coming off the flywheel. You make a cut and see a problem, you can cut the other flywheel to the best performance specs..

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #28 - 01/21/15 at 21:38:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/21/15 at 21:31:22:
I'm old... 😉

Keep notes on performance as you work the flywheel. Keep up with Exactly what is coming off the flywheel. You make a cut and see a problem, you can cut the other flywheel to the best performance specs..

You sir have hit the nail on the head. Thats exactly what I will do. Trust me I will follow through with this.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 01/21/15 at 21:43:15

Glad to be some help...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:34:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flywheel Lightening

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.