Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I think I Need New Tires? (Read 156 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
I think I Need New Tires?
01/20/15 at 11:19:24

I checked the tech section and didn't see much on recommendations for tire changes (what the financial pros and cons of doing it yourself versus the stealership are) so here it goes...

Facts:
 - ~4000 miles currently
 - Sat in a barn for about 2 years before I bought it in 2012 with just 400 miles on it.
 - Original tires

So from observing other posts for a couple of years I gather that this probably makes some folks toes curl and they would tell me not to ride this until replaced.

I have briefly read and considered buying tires and swapping them myself to avoid getting reamed by the dealership, but I think it's a little more than what I feel comfortable doing myself, plus by the time I have to consider getting them balanced and such after installation I'll have to deal with the knuckleheads anyway.

So, if I am considering going the 'stock' route on new tires, will I be better off just buying them at the stealership and letting them do the whole swap, or are there really good deals on tires out there in the interweb (including shipping charges) that I will be better off buying somewhere and just letting them charge me for the swap?

Thanks!

IMG-20150120-02554.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: I think I Need New Tires?
Reply #1 - 01/20/15 at 11:53:51

You certainly can search 'tires' and get a hundred hits.
maybe even a hundred if you select 1 thread each.

If this is your 1st rodeo, then I certainly consider a semi-DIY.
a strict DIY would be from start to finish.
a semi could include removing the wheels, take 'm down to the dealer for them to do the rest.
but I'd know what they would charge for the labor, tires and all before hand.
1 thing you need to think about is how many miles you do a year.
low mileage, select a low grade tire.
High mileage... high grade.

Contact some independents as well as a dealer... and pick the best value.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/20/15 at 11:54:16

There's a lot of better choices than the stock tires...
In order of price,.. and all good tires... Shinko, Kenda, Dunlop, Pirelli, Metzler...

I pay a shop to install... and at least buy the tubes from the installer, that way if they booger the tube they have to replace it...

Order a 90' valve stem for the rear... makes air checks much easier... mount to brake side...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 01/20/15 at 12:21:04

Thanks folks. I know there are lot of threads out there, was just hoping there was a quick reference "chart" or something in the tech section to guide me.

I was contemplating the semi, so all I had to do is get them swapped and I can do the wheel takeoff and install. That way they are not charging me labor to bolt the wheels on.

I probably only do ~2000 miles/year, at least that's my current average. All in town stuff and just cruising to work, no real windy mountain roads and I don't ride in the rain (unless I was trapped at work). I don't get on the super-slab. Against the wife's rules.

So, a notch above stock is probably acceptable to me.  I think I'll check with the dealership (and some independents) and see what flavor they have in stock and get some price estimates and share to see if it seems in line with what charges you all experience.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/20/15 at 12:45:05

I do take my own wheels off,...  Huh...
the 'Semi"... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/20/15 at 13:26:03

can't recommend a full diy for a beginner... not with a tubed tire.
even tubeless requires the right tools.

everyone should know how to remove their own wheels.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 01/20/15 at 14:23:00

Suzuki dealer: Put me on hold and never answered me back. I get irritated dealing with them every time I am over there or call them and deal with them as little as I can, but will try again just in case they have something on sale, etc.

Yamaha dealer: Recommended Michelin Commander II at $170 front and around $200 rear, plus $25/tire mounting if I bring in wheels only, $50/tire mounting if I bring in the whole bike. Will not mount tires they didn't sell.  Said he could fine me cheaper tires but gave me the spill about 'we always suggest good tires when it's a motorcycle because it's a motorcycle, it's already dangerous, etc...'

Independent: Vague and would not give me specifics, would just tell me that they could do it for around $300 plus price of tubes, and if I brought just the wheels it would be $25/tire to mount the tires.

Why don't people like to (a) answer your darn question and (b) give you any details when they do?  It's no secret we price shop and can get on the internet and check things out. Just make it competitive and I'll give you my business.

I'm about to get irritated and just buy tires online somewhere and take someone (whomever will do it) the wheels and pay $50 or so for mounting and balancing.

What's the most respected place (website) for us to get 'average' tires that has competitive prices and shipping rates?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 01/20/15 at 14:35:19

stewmills wrote on 01/20/15 at 14:23:00:
Why don't people like to (a) answer your darn question and (b) give you any details when they do?  It's no secret we price shop and can get on the internet and check things out. Just make it competitive and I'll give you my business.

I'm with you Stew, I'm no dummy, well not too big a dummy, you know what I'm doing. Just shoot straight with me and I'll shoot straight with you. I'm still waiting for the guy to call me and tell me my oil filter is in from about 3 months ago. (Never mind, I already ordered three off the internet and changed my oil, but thanks for getting back with me so quickly.)

I'd love to have a place around here that I could walk in, ask a question or two, not get a complete rebuild instruction, just a little information. I'd love to have a local place to spend my money, but they seem not to like straight answers.

Anyway, I bought my tires from JP cycle, I got Metzlers. I took the wheels off and took them to the shop (yeah, the same one that has ordered my oil filter), and had them install them. It has been long enough ago I can't remember the price, maybe $75, I really can't remember.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 01/20/15 at 14:50:23

Thanks prechermike.

I have a lawnmower/small engines shop here that is excellent like that.  I have rehabbed several little things like gas trimmers, chainsaws, a little three wheeler, mulcher, my riding and push mowers, etc. and they are always helpful. They know me by face and I can go in and tell them my issue or take a part in there and they tell me the most cost effective way to fix my problem, and sometimes that solution is not to buy parts from them. Some of their retail prices are higher and sometimes I will order things online I don't need in a hurry or don't need their advice on, but if it's something I am not knowingly wasting a lot of money on I try to give them as much business as I can...and I ALWAYS tell them how much I appreciate their honesty, helpfulness, and shooting straight with me.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 01/20/15 at 15:22:23

most will give you free shipping over $90

And they don't have to do much to ship, some rap in paper, some don't.

WWW   IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 01/20/15 at 15:44:23

Amazon.com - Metzler 880 for the rear - I took the wheel to the dealership and they changed the tire for under $50 (around $38 but I don't recall for sure)

Edit: Tire was $158.82 in May - Shipping for Amazon Prime Member.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 01/20/15 at 15:52:41

Michelin Commander is a great tire.....as long as you ride a lot of miles and use them up.  If you don't ride much there is no good reason to spend that much....as the rubber will get very hard and slippery long before you wear them out.  Michelin's are famous for being "Micherocks" if you don't wear them out in 4 years.  If you are not riding 4,000-6,000 mile a year you most likely can get a better tire bargain....follow Serowbot's tire guide as he rides a lot and has worn out several sets.

Talk to some local bikers in your area and see where they get their tires changed.  Sport bike, Touring and Motard guys use up tires fast....see where they get their tires changed (wrong time of year to find them I bet).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 01/20/15 at 16:17:55

Stewmills.

Probably not a bad idea to find a shop that you can take the wheels and your tires to, if you can find someone who will mount and balance them for a reasonable price - especially if you have never done this before, and if you can find such a place.

That said, changing and balancing them yourself is not really all that difficult and is a worthwhile skill to acquire. Here's one guys method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31hv7t-Ysc

I don't bother with the car wheel. I work right on the floor with a big piece of cardboard under the wheel. I also use more lube than this guy does, but mine is in a spray bottle and it's mostly water, with just enough dish soap in it to make it slippery.

There are are a lot of other videos besides this one. I'd suggest watching a few before deciding you don't want to tackle the job yourself.

balancing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2AuivYzaBs

Ignore the music Wink This explains the basic technique pretty well.

You can balance the front wheel on the bike. Just back off the brake pads so that the wheel can spin freely. For the rear you'll need to rig up some kind of stand to rest the axle on. I use a couple of plastic folding sawhorses that have V blocks on the ends.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 01/20/15 at 16:24:24

Just take your time, take a ride, roll in, hit the parts counter, shoot the breeze,get a tire quote, plus mount and balance,
Then, what's the mount and balance if you bring your new tires not bought from them.
You don't want to let them pull the wheels... way too much money..
Just haul one wheel at a time... unless you're able to pull both. I just never had the stuff to get mine in a stable Hover..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 01/21/15 at 11:52:00

Update:

Suzuki Dealer - Went up there and they would do factory Dunlops for about $315 with the wheels off the bike and they supply the tire (that includes $20 install fee per tire) and I he commented that that's not including tubes if it needs new ones. If I supply the tire and wheel, it's $69 install fee per tire. I can order the Dunlops for $197 shipped, but adding $138 for install brings me to $335.  They of course have the math already figures out for their benefit.  They weren't busy and they were pretty nice today, but when they are busy they are not easy to deal with.

Independent - Guy just doesn't seem interested in encouraging me to do business with him (talks like its a chore to even pick up the phone) but said he would install for $35 each if I supply the tires and wheels are off the bike, but recommends new tubes at $31 for both. So $197 tires plus $31 tubes plus $70 install fee is $298.  Saving a little but still dealing with Mr. Grumpy.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:31:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I think I Need New Tires?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.