legal suicide (Read 166 times)
zieglarf
YaBB Newbies

Lovin my Suzi!

San Antonio, TX
Re: legal suicide
Reply #15 - 01/20/15 at 20:09:22

TxDPS states:

19. Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?

The law doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."

• An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
      • shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
      • may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.

(Boldness from TxDPS)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me this sounds more for cars than motorcycles. A car CAN drive in two lanes - a motorcycle cannot (except riding on the line itself).

So a motorcycle is always 'practical entirely within a single lane' even if next to car in the same lane. Two vehicles in a single lane would be entirely different.

As far as moving safely from one lane to another - that is a whole different set of issues including speed, experience, the driver of the other vehicle, etc.

I've weaved in and out of traffic between vehicles into a fully empty space in the next lane, but have never split straight down the middle.

'12 S40
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 01/20/15 at 20:32:26

zieglarf wrote on 01/20/15 at 20:09:22:
The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."

• An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
      • shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
      • may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.

(Boldness from TxDPS)

Entirely will be the key word, as a m/c or truck with big mirrors can have the wheels entirely in the lane but not be entirely within the lane.

You know the trooper is going to say that don't ja?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 01/20/15 at 21:51:39

verslagen1 wrote on 01/20/15 at 20:32:26:
You know the trooper is going to say that don't ja?

He's gonna' say,... "Tell it to the judge"... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #18 - 01/21/15 at 06:14:47

I've asked MULTIPLE Austin City cops about this, none of them really seemed to know a definite answer. I think it would boil down to the officer and if they wanted to be nice, I don't really want to take my chances either way.

Unless it was an emergency of course, but to a degree, aren't most traffic laws thrown out the window for "emergencies"?

If it was bumper to bumper traffic and I did choose to lane split...I'd be impressed to see a cop catch me on the lower-deck of IH-35  Grin Then I'd probably say something smart-ass like "Congratulations! You win! You get to write me a ticket!"  Tongue

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 01/21/15 at 06:46:11

savskad wrote on 01/21/15 at 06:14:47:
If it was bumper to bumper traffic and I did choose to lane split...I'd be impressed to see a cop catch me on the lower-deck of IH-35  Grin Then I'd probably say something smart-ass like "Congratulations! You win! You get to write me a ticket!"  Tongue

The only way anyone will catch you is if they are on a skinnier, faster motorcycle....braver than you......have the guy in the helicopter follow you home - or if they use a radio to get somebody down the road to go out to meet you.  I don't believe they use "Stop Sticks" on motorcycles!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #20 - 01/21/15 at 12:03:39

Lane splitting is an integral part of my daily commute. I am surprised at how many motorists are aware of me and make an effort to make room for me to get by (which I don't need, the gaps are wide as it is). I always go to the front of the line at lights and stop signs. My philosophy is to always be out of other people's way, to have the smallest footprint in traffic as possible.

I commute 28 miles one way on a daily basis, couple times a month on my wife's Sportster 1200, a few times in the cage and the rest on the S-40. The S-40 is perfect for lane splitting in heavy traffic.

I have a family so I don't take risks and am very happy to ride at 68 in the right lane when everyone else is doing 80. When everyone is doing 20 then I am comfortable at doing 30 splitting the extra wide carpool lane.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #21 - 01/21/15 at 15:47:24

Here they will ding you with careless driving for lane splitting, automatic court appearance. Doing a wheelie, even a small accidental one, is a stunting ticket that can result in a vehicle impound.

The car drivers around here are getting worse every year, especialy the texters.  I wouldn't feel safe at all lane splitting today.  I think it should be legal when there are traffic jams ect.

Last summer I was on my XT250 and the traffic on the 4 lane came to a complete stop.  I drove down into the ditch between the highways and carried on. Smiley  A lot of people gave me the thumbs up.  No police were around fortunately.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 01/21/15 at 15:55:01

Flint, Quote:
around here
doesn't mean much when you don't say where or have it list below your name.

WWW   IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #23 - 01/21/15 at 16:07:15

Sorry, Alberta Canada.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #24 - 01/21/15 at 17:33:10

savskad wrote on 01/21/15 at 06:14:47:
I've asked MULTIPLE Austin City cops about this, none of them really seemed to know a definite answer. I think it would boil down to the officer and if they wanted to be nice, I don't really want to take my chances either way.

Unless it was an emergency of course, but to a degree, aren't most traffic laws thrown out the window for "emergencies"?

Never ask a cop about the law, I have met far too many of them who don't actually know the law
not surprising, there are so many laws on the books, no one can know them all
I had a cop ticket me for 'oversize tires, because the tires on my car were larger than stock. The law is, the tires can't extend beyond the fenders. Mine did not
I've also had cops harrass me and freinds about 'unregistered firearms'
Texas has no firearms registration

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:31:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › legal suicide

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.